ca18det in by bee, oh yah!

b210in

my fuel problem has been solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hell yes. the car runs really hard now all the way up to 7500. no more choking up at the top end and i got the car up to a resonable speed. it's boosting a solind 12 pounds. i can cruise in first gear and then smash the throttle, and then hold on to your panties cuase they comin off! it feels pretty fuckin cool. i also now installed a tach.

here's my new problem. and the lesson continues. it smoking at idle. it's like it's burning oil or something. it's doing it all the time. i'm thininking the seals in the turbo are bad or maybe my return line is not adequate. any ideas? i will take a pic of my return line, many it's too long and kincked.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my fuel problem has been solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hell yes. the car runs really hard now all the way up to 7500. no more choking up at the top end and i got the car up to a resonable speed. it's boosting a solind 12 pounds. i can cruise in first gear and then smash the throttle, and then hold on to your panties cuase they comin off! it feels pretty fuckin cool. i also now installed a tach.

here's my new problem. and the lesson continues. it smoking at idle. it's like it's burning oil or something. it's doing it all the time. i'm thininking the seals in the turbo are bad or maybe my return line is not adequate. any ideas? i will take a pic of my return line, many it's too long and kincked.

i mean it's smoking all the time but more during idle. if my return line was bad, or oil drain line was not installed correctly, would the turbo smoke more during hard drivinG, since it's dumping more oil out of the turbo? it sounds to me like bad turbo or maybe bad valve guide seals? or rings?
  • 4 months later...

hey fellow ratsos, here's an update.

i have been having problems with the car smoking. i took the engine out, removed the oil pan and moved the drain hole forward to under the turbo. this did not fix the problem.

i finally removed the turbo and did a full inspection. i noticed that there was some hard oil crusting coming out of the hot side and decided to just order a turbo rebuild kit from g-pop shop. i rebuilt the turbo and the car ran great and did not smoke for about 200 miles. then it started smoking again and this time it was smoking when it was hot and all the time.

i removed the turbo again and sent it to g pop shop to have them rebuild it. it turns out that my hot side, rear shaft seal housing had a groove in it and was not sealing correctly. the center housing will be replaced with a new one on top of a full rebuild, 500 bucks later. the turbo is still at g pop shop. my little has been sitting since.

I was going to cheap out and just buy a flea bay turbo, but i have seen and heard too many horror stories of junk turbos, so i decided to just have the professionals handle my turbo.

i also solved my not wanting to idle issue. it turns out that i did not have an air line hooked up to the idle air control valve that comes out before the intake piping. i welded a nipple with a 5/8 air line before going to the t-body. idles perfectly now.

what did you do about the vacuum lines b210in?? did you have the vacuum line going to the nismo FPR? and have it going to the power solenoid thats with the Ignitor???

can you take a picture of your vacuum tank is and where the hoses are on the intake manifold? cause mine are all cut on my CA and i have no idea where they go. thanks also there are two hoses on the front of the manifold that i dont know where they go.. and idk if you will know cause it looks like i have a different version of the ca,

IMG_0848.jpg

See where my vacuum hose is coming off of the valve cover that goes to the intake manifold, i dont know if they changed around the vacuum hoses somewhere else too, but show me what you got so i can go off of that. :P

the fpr gets vacuum directly off the rear of the intake. since you don't have the secondary butterly vacuum canister to operate the secondary butterflies, just plug to a fat source of vacuum also in the back of the intake, also the solenoid next the ignitor is pretty much useless if you are going to connect the secondary butterflies to direct intake vacuum. i will go ahead and take detailed pics this weekend for you. The one area that gave me a lot of problems was that Idle air control lines. i will show you what i'm talking about with the pics. also from the pics, the intake cam cover looks to be from a CA18de.

with all that stuff disconnected it still runs like it should? i thought that it would run shitty without the butterfly hooked up. so should i just connect the butterfly and the FPR to a vacuum source on the back of the intake manifold? and then cap all the other vacuum ports?

also the valve cover, the fwd de? or rwd? did they make rwd de?

the secondary butterflies will still work if connected to direct vacuum. they will not work as efficiently as the stock set up, but it will still work. they should be closed when there's vacuum and open when you stomp your foot on the pedal and no vacuum.

are you going to be using the stock ecu? remember to connect the orange wire, on ca's its on the plug that goes to the dash before the ecu.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You'll be so happy with the stock engine at stock boost. It will take a little while to wear off. If you need pointers on where to find parts, frsport is a good resource.

The ca18 is my favorite older Nissan motor. You'll see why once you start modding it. It LOVES boost and revs. Sooo much fun :)

Good choice

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Feel like I'm necroing here, but this is a great project. I've been looking at going CA in my 4 door, especially now that I'm picking up a coupe, but I was wondering how the shifter location worked out for you? I know it moves the shifter back about 4 inches, but is it still comfortable with the stock seat location? 

That is honestly the one part I couldn't figure out about this swap. The picture you posted seems like it would be almost optimal since I sit with the seat as far back as possible anyway, but I am trying to figure out how much farther back the shift knob sits. It looks like the shifter is straighter than the stock setup, so the reach is similar? Kinda hard to tell by pictures really. 

• Like 1

I met a guy in the DFW area that put a SR20DET in a 1200 UTE. The car is an engineering masterpiece. I believe he told me he used some BMW shift linkage to move the stick forward to comfortable position. I'm not 100% positive about what he said because I was too busy slipping in my own drool. Datsunfreak knows the vehicle and probably knows about the shift linkage. You need to ask him about it.

IMAG0665_zps27d56cd9.jpg

IMAG0661_zps12736f65.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I love this car. My 2door sedan (Datsunfreak's old one) will be CA18det pretty soon. Its in the works.

Curious if you ever swapped the rear end? If so, with what rear end? I've read through this thread in the past and you mention planning to swap it when the h150 goes. So I'm curious of it's still holding up.

Again I love this car!!! Totally different than the plan for mine, but wow what a car. Great job!

• Like 1

Cool you have the 4 door ;)

Yes that is the car I got. It wasn't even listed for sale anywhere when I bought it. He wanted to keep it. No comment on what I paid for it. Too much. But I knew it was too much at least. But the motor swap he is doing for me is cheap. So it kinda came out in a wash.

Not 100% the listing you mention is the same owner. Think it is though. I saw it for sale a couple years ago before this guy had it. He got it in late 2013 iirc. I could check actually because he posted it on the b15u forum before I joined that forum. I think when he bought it is when I saw it for sale before. Datsunfreak had it, then a TX/GA guy had it, then that guy sold it to another guy in ATL, and then it ended up at 2j-racing and thats who I bought it from. (EDIT: I just checked. 2j bought the car Sept 2013. That's when I missed it for a reasonable yet high price. Then you guys saw it for sale for a crazy price in late Feb early March 2014. So yeah I bought it from the crazy price guy. I bought it this winter though and not back then and he had since picked up the CA and trans).

Anyway. Iiked this particular car. I had missed it for sale before. Can't exactly buy another car exactly like this one. I'm not gonna restore it. I like the patina. Saved me from hunting some parts too (yes I know most of you find that hunt fun). And in mid TN there are pretty much no Datsun cars other than Z cars. I've been looking for one for a decade. Missed a couple I should have bought that were better buys. But really I hardly ever see them for sale locally and when I do they are usually ready for the scrap yard or sold before I get a chance to go check them out.

I had done my research and was familiar with prices around here and the prices where they are more common. I also saw how much Datsunfreak had offered it for sale twice. No it wasn't that cheap. It wasn't even for sale, but he was willing to sell it. I went to look at a supercharged Spec V and the b210. Bought the b210.

I like this particular car a lot. I'm tired of hunting for a Datsun. That itch needed to be scratched already. He had a ca18det and trans already. Car was expensive. Motor swap was shockingly cheap. I'm gonna sell the a14 and dogleg so I'll get a little back. He is THE guy in the b15 sentra world, so I trust the work he's gonna do. Almost every single aftermarket part in my Spec V came from him. So it seemed worth it to me. Its wasn't an insane deal for the car and motor swap. Price for just the car was pretty nuts though.

Surely some of you guys have seen particular cars that you would pay what you know is too much to own that particular car. Maybe not a Datsun. Since they're easy to find for most of you. But some particular car. Datsunfreak found a nice patinad car and did all the right stuff to it. So props to him. I don't plan on ever selling it. But trust that if I do, you guys will think what I ask for it is crazy. But I bet "somebody" would pay the price. Its a cool car. And that's saying something when we're talking about a b210. It's one of the coolest I've seen in the states other than the one that is the topic of this thread. Everybody on here seemed to like it and want it. So why not. Its got a lot of character.

LoL can you tell I paid a lot for the car???? But I knew. I'll be a happy camper when I get it back with the CA in it. Happier than I would of been if I had bought the all stock, partially dismantled b210 hatch that popped up locally a few months ago for $500 that I probly never would have gotten to how the Blue 2door will be when I get it back. And happier than if I had just put the money into my Spec V and only had my Sentra.

I'll get my money's worth owning it and enjoying it. You wouldn't believe the attention that car got here the little bit of time i had it in Nashville. Its a great car. Gonna be even better with the CA. And I'll have fun doing more stuff to it myself. I just couldn't do a swap myself. And any Datsun I bought, I was gonna want to swap. It just kinda all worked out. So I did it. I don't regret it. I might regret it one day I guess, but I doubt it. But if I do one day, that's how you learn life lessons right?

Plus aren't you guys glad I bought it and brought it back to Ratsun????

PS: Sorry for the novella.

• Like 1