ca18det in by bee, oh yah!

b210in

hey dudes, thanks for posting.

ok. i do have a return line to the tank. i also replaced all the hoses with efi hoses and efi clamps.

i also removed the gas cap and ran it like that. no difference. it did however have a lot of pressure when i removed it. so i drilled a little hole in the center of the gas cap to make it vented. no more pressure problems.

i will try the extra clamp on the line from the tank to the pump.

it's also not leaking gas.

yeah it sounds so simple, but just replacing the line from tank to pump and using an extra clamp fixed it haha for me

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The feed and return are the same size stock? I never saw that before on a datsun.

I think 5/16 is fine for that stock ca. That stock 240z feed and the return is only 1/4. People swap in (stock) l28ets and do just fine.

no, no, no, i'm an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the lines are 1/4. sorry. both ways.

i also discovered a big major screw up. man i'm stupid. i just want to hit my head with a hammer. so i have been trying to find out why my ca has such a hard time starting when cold. so it turns out that i did not connect the orange wire from the s13 harness. the problem is that the orange wire is not on the plug that connects to the stock b210 fuse box. the orange wire is on the white plug by the ecu that goes to the dash on the stock s13.

i just kept asking myself, how does the ecu know that it's time to start the engine? the problem is that it doesn't. the way i turn the engine on, i just connected my old b210 solonoid starter wire to the ca's starter. that's it. it's a pain the ass to get the car to start in the morning.

could this be it? i can't wait to get home and try it. could this little wire be causing my hard starting blues and lack of wanting to idle?

we shall see. i'll keep you guys posted.

Connect the orange wire to the starter wire black with yellow most likely and leave it. The solenoid only gets power when cranking so it's perfect. So the idle is rough or low? You can adjust the idle up if needed. I would also check for vacuum leaks. I made a deal so I could pressurize the all the intercooler piping and the intake mani. If you have any leaks it will idle and boost like shit. Are you 100% sure there are no vacuum leaks? I know that sometimes they are hard to hear and there are like 1 million fuck wholes in the manifold that need to be capped.

Great build! Congrats on getting it running!!

As for the fuel line, I would definetly run a 3/8th line at the least on something like this. Keep the return stock, but, the feed should be bigger.

Good luck and keep up the great build!

this has wrong written all over it. your return is always the same size of your feed or bigger. NEVER SMALLER.

run at a min 3/8th but if going thru all the trouble of running lines just do it once and run enough to give you room to grow incase you want more power then you dont have to go back and redo them

ok guys. i just connected the orange wire and guess what???????????????

it ran on the first click of throttle. before i would have to crank it at least a couple of times before the son of bitch ran. so for now no more hard start issures.

the second thing. i installed a second clamp on the line coming from the tank and still the same thing.

i took it for a ride and again it started run out of fuel when i put my foot in it. i look at the fuel pressure guage and again when you rev the car it shows the fuel pressure drops instead of going up do to low vacuum like normal. here's the thing. the fuel pressure guage is between the filter and the fuel rail inlet. when the car was not wanting to rev and the fuel pressure was down, i crimped the rubber line between the fuel press guage and fuel rail inlet and the pressure starts to climb super fast. so now i'm thinking my nismo fuel pressure reg is bad. i'm going to put the stock one back on and see what happens. what do you guys think is going on.

thanks guys for posting.

I don't think the fuel line size has anything to do with your problem. 1/4 inch feed is good for up to 230hp. 5/16 is only upping that ceiling 20hp to 250. Moot anyway since both are way over current. It's a good supporting mod for future plans no doubt but nothing to do with this problem.

3/8 is good to 375, Idk your plans but that's a lot of hp for a ca imho. The fuel return size is dependent on the flow rate. Saying smaller is wrong and larger is right in a broad statement is incorrect, especially since the return flow is usually less then the hp feed line requirements and therefor smaller. 1/4 return is good for about 40gph and 40gph is good for up to 450hp. 3/8 is good to a whopping 90gph! Can anyone run the simple math on how much hp thats good for? So I ask does it make sense to have a return line that's good for THREE times more hp then the feed line capacity (of 375) or a feed line thats good for more then twice the stock hp? Rhetorical question lol......

Like I said its a good support mod for future hp growth but we're talking serious over kill on those sizes.

Edited by 72240z

duuuuude I know exactly how you feel right now. I had the exact same crap happen to me... where you crimp the fuel line and then pressure starts to build. I tried 3 different FPR and that wasn't ever the problem.. I don't think the FPR is the culprit for your fuel pressure problem either.

For me though, replacing just the hose from the tank to the fuel pump, and adding an extra clamp fixed it. (I know your line from tank to pump wasn't the culprit) but I honestly think you should check ALL your other rubber hoses just in case one is a bit loose. ... There probably isn't any fuel leaking at all... like I said before mine wasn't leaking fuel but if any air is being pulled in then it will royally screw with your fuel system. I had no idea what was going on at first... It seems like a simple issue but I went through the same crap you are going through for 2 weeks and it ended up just being air getting into the delivery line even with no fuel leaks ....

I also had the exact same orange wire problem on my SR. You literally had to crank it for 10 minutes and coax it before it would start.. with orange wire hooked up now it starts right away.

Edited by LeX
duuuuude I know exactly how you feel right now. I had the exact same crap happen to me... where you crimp the fuel line and then pressure starts to build. I tried 3 different FPR and that wasn't ever the problem.. I don't think the FPR is the culprit for your fuel pressure problem either.

For me though, replacing just the hose from the tank to the fuel pump, and adding an extra clamp fixed it. (I know your line from tank to pump wasn't the culprit) but I honestly think you should check ALL your other rubber hoses just in case one is a bit loose. ... There probably isn't any fuel leaking at all... like I said before mine wasn't leaking fuel but if any air is being pulled in then it will royally screw with your fuel system. I had no idea what was going on at first... It seems like a simple issue but I went through the same crap you are going through for 2 weeks and it ended up just being air getting into the delivery line even with no fuel leaks ....

I also had the exact same orange wire problem on my SR. You literally had to crank it for 10 minutes and coax it before it would start.. with orange wire hooked up now it starts right away.

ok. cool. i dont feel so bad now. it's an honest mistake. hey ice maybe you should make a note on the your wiring diaghram, for the ca the orange wire is on the white plug by the one next to the ecu.

the fuel pump is a summit racing it flows 255 lb/min or something like that. time for more diagnosing.

check out these pics.

100_7678.jpg

100_7680.jpg

check out the new turn signals, they are bmw sidemarker lights from a honda a pick a part. the 280zx brakes and struts are also installed. they tucked in the wheels a little. i also used two inch steel clamp collars with stock b 210 springs.

100_7676.jpg

100_7675.jpg

100_7681.jpg

ok. i think i know what the problem is. i pulled the gas tank and out and look inside. it has a lot of broken pieces of rust and chunks of other stuff i can identify. i also checked the fuel filter and noticed that it had a lot of gunk chunks of rust coming out ofhte inlet side. i also blew out of the fuel pick up tube and it seems to blow out air ok.

i'm thinking that gunk starts to pile up inside the tube and blocks the pump. the more the demand the more shit it picks up and plugs it up. at this point i'm going to clean out the tank and put in an extra filter before the pump and a new filter before the rail and see what happens and start saving up for a complete fuel cell and fuel line package. about another 2 to 300 bucks. oh yah.

I don't think the fuel line size has anything to do with your problem. 1/4 inch feed is good for up to 230hp. 5/16 is only upping that ceiling 20hp to 250. Moot anyway since both are way over current. It's a good supporting mod for future plans no doubt but nothing to do with this problem.

3/8 is good to 375, Idk your plans but that's a lot of hp for a ca imho. The fuel return size is dependent on the flow rate. Saying smaller is wrong and larger is right in a broad statement is incorrect, especially since the return flow is usually less then the hp feed line requirements and therefor smaller. 1/4 return is good for about 40gph and 40gph is good for up to 450hp. 3/8 is good to a whopping 90gph! Can anyone run the simple math on how much hp thats good for? So I ask does it make sense to have a return line that's good for THREE times more hp then the feed line capacity (of 375) or a feed line thats good for more then twice the stock hp? Rhetorical question lol......

Like I said its a good support mod for future hp growth but we're talking serious over kill on those sizes.

IDK where you got your firgues from but that is a bit off... 5/16th which is a -5 can support about 300, 3/8 is a -6 can support 500 and -8 which is 1/2 can support 700... but im not going to debate over this..

The CA is capable of making serious power regardless of what people might thing.

are your fuel line fuel injection type?

IDK where you got your firgues from but that is a bit off... 5/16th which is a -5 can support about 300, 3/8 is a -6 can support 500 and -8 which is 1/2 can support 700... but im not going to debate over this..

The CA is capable of making serious power regardless of what people might thing.

The fuel line feed size to hp charts are all the same from mallory/mr gasket/century performance/holley/hbz and correct, if you say otherwise feel free to prove it(moot anyway since your figures prove my point more lol). You also ignored the other point that you were wrong about return sizes as well. Idc and it doesn't matter what the ca CAN make it matters what it is and WILL make. Is it making over 230hp leaving the 1/4 line lacking and maybe being the part of the current problem? No. Will it EVER in it's life make enough power, I mean EVER to warrant a 3/8 return line capable of flowing 90gph and supporting upwards of 900hp? No. You don't have to debate it there is no need, your clearly wrong.

I didn't post that to argue either. It was to show the sizes at the current time and near future are more then enough and that the advised sizes were over kill. Not trying to side track the thread either but the info is very pertinent to the topic.

Edited by 72240z

well i called around and the prices for hot tanking were ridiculous. around 80 bucks. fuck that. a new fuel cell from summit racing

costs 120. so i ended up cleaning it myself.

i already had a gallon of muriatic acid (pool supplies) . i poured one gallon of muriatic acid and then diluted it with water

and let it sit for about 24 hours and presto, very clean gas tank. i then puored out the acid mix and poured one box of arm and

hammer and filled it again to netrualize the muriatic acid. then i did the final rinse with soap and water. i got most of the water out

and then poured three pints of alcohol to help absorve and evorate the remain bits of water. and voila, clean gas tank. i can't

believe how much runk chunks came out.

i will also intall a new fuel filter before the pump and before the fuel injectors and see what happens. i'm thinnking this will be the final

fix. we shall see.