Found a Nissan vannete for under 500$!

motavated

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The infamous Nissan Van! I had to deal with them when I was a dealership tech. They burst into flames because the valve cover gaskets leaked oil onto the exhaust manifold, and/or owners would run them out of oil and they would overheat to the point of catching fire. (Too much trouble to look under the seat, I guess, and who knew what all those gauges on the dash meant).

After three very extensive recalls, Nissan bought back every one they could pry from the hands of only but the most clueless. (Cost 'em about $30 million, we were told). We extracted the fluids - free unleaded for everyone!- kept all the good 14" rubber, and recycled the R12. (Still have several pounds from that..) Best of all, I kept the bitchin "Captain's chairs" from the second row of seats. After mounting them on posts attached to wheels/tires, they make the best bar stools. (Very comfortable, with arm rests and SEAT BELTS - can't fall out, although you could probably tip 'em over if you got drunk enough...)

Anyway, stay far away from those things unless you want a weird terrarium. BTW: The wheels, for some strange reason, fit perfectly on Ford Econolines.

Yep, the problem was a USA thing only. They used the Z24 here, but all other markets got smaller engines. That body/chassis was never designed to use a big 2.4, and this is part of why they had the engine fires. They run so hot because there's no room for air movement around the engine.

I still think they look sweet though.