any deadheads out there?

i didnt really put 2 and 2 together until just now about a little bit of history about my truck. when i first got my L320, it had "Ramblin Rose" painted on the back bumper and since then ive kept the nickname for the truck.

2003975378856613928_rs.jpg

its kinda hard to see in the pic but my truck had a Grateful Dead sticker on the back window. i kept it on until i was cleaning up my truck for its first car show so it scraped it.

2004516916640072772_rs.jpg

well i didnt even think about it until today that the Grateful Dead had a song called Ramblin on Rose so i looked up the lyrics.

Ramblin On Rose by The Grateful Dead

Just like jack the ripper, just like mojo hand,

Just like billy sunday, in a shotgun ragtime band,

Just like new york city, just like jerico,

Pace the halls and climb the walls and get out when they blow.

Did you say your name was ramblin rose?

Ramble on baby, settle down easy

Ramble on rose.

Just like jack and jill, mama told the jailer

One hear up, and one cool down, leave nothin for the tailor.

Just like jack and jill, papa told the jailer

One go up, and one go down, do yourself a favor.

Ramble on rose.

Im gonna to sing you a hundred verses in ragtime,

I know this song it aint never gonna end.

Im gonna march you up and down along the county line,

Take you to the leader of a band.

Just like crazy otto, just like wolfman jack,

Sittin plush with a royal flush, aces back to back.

Just like mary shelly, just like frankenstein,

Clank your chains and count your change and try to walk the line.

Ramble on rose.

Im gonna to sing you a hundred verses in ragtime,

I know this song it aint never gonna end.

Im gonna march you up and down along the county line,

Take you to the leader of a band.

Good-bye mama and papa

Good-bye jack and jill

The grass aint greener

The wine aint sweeter

Either side of the hill.

Ramble on rose.

i just thought that was pretty interesting and thought i would share. they werent just driving vw bugs and buses, they were also driving datsun pickups.:D

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dead announced 2 so cal shows this year. 5/9 in LA and 5/10 @ shoreline ampitheatre. trying for both.

they werent just driving vw bugs and buses, they were also driving datsunS

my green goon has been to a few ratdog shows(or other incarnations of the rest of the band)

the 69 goon was robbed at the carson shows, they took the change in the ashtray and 2 coolers of beer. :fu:

the red 4dr that i rolled had been to about 20 west coast shows.

"i may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least im enjoying the ride"

What did Jerry Garcia say when he got out of rehab?God,this band sucks.

How many deadheads does it take to change a light bulb?

None.They wait 'till it burns out and then stare at it for 30 years.

Ben & Jerrys just came out with a new flavor:Bury Jerry.

How many Deadheads does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Deadheads don’t screw in lightbulbs, they screw in

Volkswagon Busses.

How do you know when a Deadhead has come to visit you?

He's still there.

How do you know when a Deadhead has broken up with his girlfriend?

He’s homeless.

Where do you hide money from a Deadhead?

Under the soap.

How many Deadheads fit in a VW bus?

Two more and a dog.

How do you know when they're gonna leave?

The phone bill comes.

If you see three flies in the bathroom, how do you know which one is the deadhead?

The one on the pot.

Why do deadheads swirl their arms when they dance? To keep the music out of their eyes.

Why is sending DATs over the internet like putting Jerry, Phil and Billy in the front seat of a Bug?

Neither one is going to happen because of bandwidth!

Jerry Garcia and Eric Clapton are captured by cannibals one day. Before they are about to be cooked for dinner they are granted one final wish. Jerry says "hand me my old guitar and let me play Dark Star one last time..." Eric says "please kill me before he starts".

Deadhead Zeke was seeing a show out of town, and was going to crash at his pal Cosmo's place. However, Zeke missed Cosmo after the show, and was feeling pretty lost and disoriented. So he called Cosmo asking how to get to his pad. Cosmo told him to look at a street sign to find out where he was, and he would go pick him up. Zeke looks at the street and says, "I'm at the intersection of Walk, Don't Walk". Cosmo replies "Dude! that's right outside my building!"

How do you keep a deadhead in suspense?

:lol:

Edited by Z-train

those jokes are pretty funny. im a little young(22), so i kindve missed that generation. its just real cool to find out about a little history behind the truck

and to know where the nickname came from. i even have the name on my showboard when i take it to car shows.

Damn! That's a nice hurking huge garage.

i only wish it was my shop. its got everything:lift, bathroom, fridge, heater, ceiling fans, satelite tv on a flat panel. the fourth bay on the left thats cut off is for his rv so its a lot longer than the others.

When I was about fourteen or fifteen I used to ride my bicycle all over San Francisco. Streetcar and bus fare was still about fifteen cents and it was easy to get around but I was into climbing the hills on the bike and blasting down the other side. My early speed addiction. I ended up riding over into Golden Gate park and started to see what my parents called Beatniks hanging out at a place near the end of Haight Street and Stanyon that was later called Hippie Hill. There were a bunch of colorfully dressed looking young people playing guitars and hand drums, playing Frisbee and basically grooving.

I rode up Haight street and noticed that there was something going on in this old dilapidated neighborhood. It was sort of like the Bohemian atmosphere over in North Beach but a much younger college aged crowd. One day I rode out to the beach and on my way back I saw all these people walking towards the Haight. The street was blocked off and being a kid I worked my way up to where there was a flatbed truck with some drums, speaker cabs, a B3 and a generator. It was the Dead. They played some kind of psychedelic blues, rock, jug band kind of stuff. It didn

That was in 1973 and I got to see the Dead in Munich while I was in Germany. They weren't that great and it was kind of disappointing, but still it made me feel connected to the Bay Area and home. After a few years of studying music, I began to get into playing jazz, blues and began to hang out in clubs. My friends were all going to these big stadium concerts and were way into rock, but I was off in another musical direction totally.

I used to go see the very first incarnations of the Jerry Garcia Band at the now legendary Keystone Korner jazz club on Vallejo in North Beach. They played every monday night and the cover was like $2.50 and you could buy drinks for $1.75 and not have to show an ID. Jerry played with a SF keyboard player named Merl Saunders that just passed away. His Bass player John Kahn was probably the reason Jerry got and stayed hooked smoking Persian heroin. I use to go down there all the time because all kinds of great local horn players would come by to sit in. Jerry was hot and cold but still, when he was on he could play some guitar.

I never saw the Dead after that but that is when they really started gettin known and the whole tour scene began to happen. It is interesting now to listen to the Dead in small doses. It makes me nostalgic. I think of all the blown opportunities and things that went wrong in the last forty years.

I found a great book in a dumpster. It was Peter Fonda

thanks for the read. it makes me wish even more that i was alive back in those times. its cool to hear stories about how it used to be. there really isnt any bands recently that ive been able to listen to firsthand that has made any major impact on the music industry and people as a whole as bands did back in that time. im sure it feels awesome to be able to look back and say i was there.

I was never a "true" Dead-head, but I grew up in Oregon where they were plentiful, and quite a few of my friends were Hippies (never did get along the mid to late 90's Phish "trust-afarian hippies" too much).

The first time I saw a dead-show was in UCSB(?) 1989, when I visited my cousins in Del Mar. It was the first time I saw "Shakedown Street". We went there to buy a 1/4 sheet of "paper" :unsure:

Then, my friend turned me on to them when I was a Junior in H.S (1990). We saw Little Feat open for them at Autzen stadium in Eugene, Oregon. What a blast!! It was definitely, like another world.

Then we saw them again in '94 when Cracker opened for them. Again, that was a crazy 3-day weekend hippie-fest. Finally, the last time I saw them was in '95. Chuck Berry opened for them at the Portland Meadows Racetrack...kind of weird not really having a shakedown street though...

It was bizarre...in '95 I drove my $500 '78 Celica coupe from PDX or Chicago to continue pursuing my BSME degree at the Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I was driving north on the highway between the tri-cities and Spokane, when I heard on the Radio that Jerry died. I laid on my horn for a couple of minutes.

Then, at night, I was travelling through the mountains in Idaho. I entered a canyon where there were tons of spots of small brush fires all over the place in the hills and valleys (kind of freaking me out). The radio stations were playing a dead-head marathon and all the sudden, "Fire, Fire on the mountains" started playing...it was perfect!

One of the last hippie-fests I went to was when the drummer had a show at the Roseland back in the late 90's. I got my favorite GD CD signed by Mickey Hart, since my friend Joe was his limo-driver that weekend:

GD.JPG

Of course, there were all the "Country Fairs" in Eugene / Veneta on Ken Keysey's land. He wrote One flew over the cookoos nest (of course) and was huge in the Hippie scene of the 60's. Also I knew Condie (we bought literally tons redwood lumber from him in Harrisburg). He threw a few Hemp festivals. He had to go expatriate to Costa Rica (or Belize) somewhere like that (sigh...)

Edited by hughdogz

Exactly. Damn, you have a lot of great musical taste there!!

I agree, by the time I came around, the whole "Counter-Culture" was pretty much commercialized.

Still cool to listen to good music, and be around people who enjoy the same ideals (even if it is seemingly drug-centric "mind expansion" to numb oneself from society and to be able to look at the "big picture"?!). It gets old after awhile for sure! :cool:

Later, -hughdogz

p.s. I never did like the low-fidelity bootlegs either. That's why I bought digital CD's ;o) I agree, with the GD playing with someone like Branford Marsalis brought them up to a newer, more refined level...

Edited by hughdogz

Layedout, I was thinking about this tread yesterday and your old truck. I wonder how many joints got smoked in that cab? Where has it been driven and what stories could it tell. Was the Dead the sound track? I am always interested in what music people are listening to. Do you listen to the radio? Do you buy CDs or collect MP3 files? Are you even into music at all? What is your soundtrack like?? I have this guilty pleasure, where I like to look at people record or CD collections. You can tell a lot about people by looking at their iTunes library.

I remember being 21 or 22 years old. Seems like yesterday but I know it wasn't. Music was all I cared about, all I thought about. I played in a band a couple years ago with some guys that were all in their early 50s. There was a group of younger women that came up and started talking to us on the break. One lady was kind of hitting on the bass player and I ask her how old she thought we were. They all thought we were maybe 40. I laughed and ask her how old she was. She said 27 years old proudly. The bass player in a matter of fact deadpan, "Man, I have read meat in my lower intestine that's older'n that".

I wish I would have been able to talk to my parents and grandparents about what their early lives were like, what they did for fun and stuff like what impact if any did music have in their lives. They were some serious people. I'm not sure they ever had fun.

Hugh, that was a great clip of Branford. I saw that band at the new Yoshi's at Jack London Square in Oakland. Right after that, the piano player Kenny Kirkland commit suicide. Blew me away. I thought that he was the heaviest musician on the stage. That cat played his ass off. Brandon is a badd mutherfuker too, no doubt. If you read any interviews with him he talks about hearing Coltrane's music early on and tripping out on A Love Supreme.

I didn't see your posts until now. People can make jokes about the Dead, but one thing is for sure. They were road dogs. Those times you saw them they were maybe in their prime. They were into playing music and you can't fault them for that. I mean what is anybody else doing with their lives that is more important?

How about you Hugh, what's your sound track like?

Anybody out there... what are you listening to, what is the sound track to your life??

Some clips that I though had some little nuggets of humor;

Early Dead

The Jerry I remember

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpLqt3FXpiQ&feature=related

Classic Jerry and the straight guy interview

Jerry and Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ilnADvT2s&feature=related

IThen we saw them again in '94 when Cracker opened for them. Again, that was a crazy 3-day weekend hippie-fest.
they got invited to open cuz they covered 'loser'.

i was there. remember seeing a camo '69 wagon? :mellow:

The kid ask me what I was listening to when I said that I thought most of Jerry

Wow I think Ive found a home . I saw 27 shows from 1993 till 1995 tried to do spring tour or at least 4 to 5 show runs during that time . My first show was 9-8-93 Richfield Coliseum in Clevland opened w/ Feel Like a Stranger man i miss the fat man :( Got to see Jerry Band twice . I never went to a show in a Datsun though , always a VW Westy 1972 any way glad there are kind people here .

• 2 years later...