Wanted 521 complete rear axle

Hey I need a complete rear axle minus leaf springs from a 521 truck. I am modding it to fit in a 510 wagon. I want basically everything drum to drum and everything in between.

Pm me with what you have and it kinda needs to be in WA

aiee now i look like a douche bag! I meant to post this in the parts wanted! Sorry :o

Edited by fiveoneohray
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From What Icehouse said they are very close,I am about to dive into the same project for my wagon as soon as I get my girlfriends engine done and installed the hardest part for me is going to be turning the axle hub down and redrilling for the four lug pattern...I hope :blink:

Clayton

I'm curious: why replace the wagon diff with the truck diff? Ratios?

The H-190AL rear ends were used on Roadsters, wagons and 520/521 and early 620s. The carrier is aluminum and the truck uses 4.875 gear ratio, the 'goon uses 3.889 for automatic and 3.7 for 4spd. The 'goon differential differs from the truck by having 23? spline side gears whereas the the trucks use 29. So the axles are different too.

A truck 4.875 diff could easily be installed in a 'goon by knocking out the roll pin that holds the pinion shaft and removing it. Rotate spider and side gears and thrust washers out, substitute 'goon side gears and rotate back in, install pinion pin and new roll pin.. done.

Edited by datzenmike

Reason being is there are no good solutions for a LSD setup in the wagon.

Tested welded in a wagon with a NA CA18DE and it snapped several sets of axles. Right where they have the splines since that is the smallest part.

I am building a VG34 hi comp engine and looking for around 285hp to the ground. Those axles are gonna snap.

Basically axle size and LSD or locker options are there as opposed to the wagon.

They are pretty much the exact same width so no problem there and the hub just needs to be turned down and then re drilled which is no big deal. Then the leaf spring mounts need to be moved. I will just do the rear disc conversion to finish off the rear.

SDSURF Thanks but I need a complete setup. Rather be local also :D

DAZENMIKE I looked into that route but when you buy a LSD the housing is totally different and you have to use the truck axles as you cannot change the splines due to they are built into the LSD housing.

One more horrible fact to the wagon diff. Axle bearings are available but the retaining collars are no longer available. Service manual says to cut off the old retainers to remove the old bearings. Pretty much useless.

Edited by fiveoneohray

mike.....the U.S. didn't get the 3.7 from what I understand...we weren't that lucky :( I'm hoping you know something I don't.....the last time I looked at a diff, the ring gear has to be pulled to get the pin out....or did I look at it wrong? I've got two diffs sitting in the shop waiting for me to do the spider gear swap so I'm hoping you have a trick :)

fiveone.....when I did the bearings on my rear end, I reused the collars. I used the shop press to push down on the spline end and some blocks under the backing plate....put some pressure on it and then his the collar with some heat. The first one took a bit of heat, but he second one.....I swiped the flame across it once and it popped. I then used a piece of thick wall sq tube to slide over the shaft and hammer the collar back down. It took some hammering, so I wasn't worried about it having be damaged by the heat....I didn't get it read or anything. But, that still leaves you with weak axles.

If you want some beafy axles...get the ones out of the hardbody and have them shortened and resplined.....they are MUCH thicker than the 521's!!!

Any 521 with the L series in it would have 4.39's in it. The 4.89's went away with the J13.

Darn you mike! :D Yup the ring must come off. Must be thinking of my old Dodge. Yeah the bearing caps have to come off. I guess mark them so they go back in exactly the same position. With that many bolts, you should be able to unbolt the ring and get it back in the same position. Scratch mark it too.

Also, yes the J13 got the 4.875.

I think the reason the 'goon splines broke was because of the welding. An LSD would fix that but they're not available.

The '82-'83 200sx went to H-190s I hear. I don't know what spline was used nor the width or axle length. Sure would be nice if the axles were 31 spline and were the same length as the wagon. Four bolt too!... just throw in any truck 3.889, 4.11, 4.375.

Oh... here's an H-190ALuminum case w/LSD: (wouldn't you just love one?)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/rearendNissanH190aluminumcarrierLSD.jpg[/img]"]rearendNissanH190aluminumcarrierLSD.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

Strength vs. cost vs. parts availability...

Have you checked into some sort of domestic axle shortened? 9", 8.8, narrowed yota? An old vega axle? I talked to a guy the other day who was doing a v8 swap and said s10 shafts fit and will hold up to a decently built small block...I dont know this for fact its just what the guy said. The money you save getting a 521 rear housing will be lost when you buy a LSD for it. You could probably get an 8.8 out of an explorer with an LSD (some came stock with an eaton) and a decent 3:something or other ratio and have it shortened for close to the same cost or cheaper... Also 8.8s have readily available (no guesswork/waiting on parts) aftermarket.

Is there an "everybodys doing it" swap for rearends on these things?

Darn you mike! :D Yup the ring must come off. Must be thinking of my old Dodge. Yeah the bearing caps have to come off. I guess mark them so they go back in exactly the same position. With that many bolts, you should be able to unbolt the ring and get it back in the same position. Scratch mark it too.

Also, yes the J13 got the 4.875.

I think the reason the 'goon splines broke was because of the welding. An LSD would fix that but they're not available.

The '82-'83 200sx went to H-190s I hear. I don't know what spline was used nor the width or axle length. Sure would be nice if the axles were 31 spline and were the same length as the wagon. Four bolt too!... just throw in any truck 3.889, 4.11, 4.375.

Oh... here's an H-190ALuminum case w/LSD: (wouldn't you just love one?)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/rearendNissanH190aluminumcarrierLSD.jpg[/img]"]rearendNissanH190aluminumcarrierLSD.jpg

Hey Mike I have had a lot of people tell me to get rid of the aluminum case cuz they break pretty easy :confused: I have a 521 drop out with 3.90 and a detriot locker for the wagon but I think I told you that already???? thats why I want the 4.11

Ray you will probably get to yours before me keep in touch and let me know how it goes PLEASE

Clayton

Just trying to keep the info accurate :) You know you've caught my "oop's" more than I've caught yours! :)

The 'goon differential differs from the truck by having 29 spline side gears whereas the the trucks use 31. So the axles are different too.

I believe the goon h-190 had 23 spline axles and the truck h-190 has 29. The 31 spline axles came in the H-233b.

Yes, my bad. I Have a 233 rear disc from a Path that I am planning to put under my 620 and with all the mixing of parts the lines blur.

Has anyone looked at the late S11 rear ends. I believe they went to H-190 in '82-'83. The axles are disc brake and 4 stud and I don't know the spline count.

Edited by datzenmike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.