Road Trip

I'm planning to go on a road trip after school in June. Me and my friend will be going up to San Fran to visit friends, family, etc. One slight problem. I really don't know if the Datsun will hold up on the way there. I'm planning on taking the 101 instead of the 5, for the large hills my car will have to take on. I really doubt it would make it up the hills without overheating. So my best bet is the 101. But still for my personal assurance do you guys have any suggestions to mod the car to help get it there. I still plan on doing the side drafts, new ignition coil, maybe a new cam, any suggestions on a mild cam? (L18). The oil was changed about 4 months ago. It has iridium spark plugs around the same time. Maybe a new fan(anyone know of a light fan?) And possibly a new light flywheel(cant find one). Suggestions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Kragen and get an aluminum multi blade flex fan to replace the stock unit. That and a gallon of premixed 50/50 antifreeze should get you up the 101. I would recommend a side trip to the Hitching Post for dinner, but since the movie it's a bit crowded. Still the best steak you will find West of Kansas City.

I made the trip to San Francisco several times in my 411 on the 405 - I5 route, using the stock fan. The only problem I ever had was hitting a tumbleweed, took 2 days to flush out all the powdered stems and leaves from the radiator. Once you get over the Grapevine it's literally downhill all the way. Pacheco Pass to the 101 is an easy trip.

Edited by MikeRL411

The Hitching Post, heard nothing but good. I love to go to Casa de Frutas near Gilroy. Best morning stop ever! Love it there. But the fan is a good idea I suppose. I mean my car is a reminiscing idea of being a passenger in a Nicaraguan bus. The loud sound of no horsepower, then the even louder sound of the fan! My car is loud with the exhaust but the fan is really loud. I wouldn’t say it over powers it but its dam near close to doing it.

If you are worried about the car overheating put your effort into getting your cooling system working. Carbs and cams won't keep the car from overheating. Look on here for info about the various radiator swaps you can do or take your stocker to the radiator shop to be 3-cored. Also put in a new thermostat and you should be good to go as far as overheating.

hmmm... i'd do the fan idea like he mentioned... maybe a custom aluminum radiator if u have the money lol.. if not maybe just find a bigger radiator that will fit... put in a good thermostat like a 180-190 maybe replace the hoses to radiator.. carry some jugs of water with ya.. if you start to really over heat they may come in handy.. ofcourse if you had the stuff to doit.. you Could make a way to hook up a sprayer for your radiator.. with a lil push button or toggle switch.. would really help if it started seriously over heating... it can be done the ghetto way, im sure pretty easy too..

well theres some ideas.. have fun :D

My girlfriends 510 (when it belonged to my buddy Jon) has made trips to Phoenix Arizona twice (with the old automatic) Canby Oregon last year and to LA and back more than a half dozen times with a stock L16 with a weber and the stock fan and radiator with a 5 speed , and I have personally done a 6 and half hour round trip drive in it with no problems at all. Prep the car before going on the trip do a tune up flush the cooling system change the fluids check the wheel bearings (always over looked). as long as the car is well maintained it should make it no problem

Clayton

Edited by 69FJWagon
added

Rods Not so called Discount Datsun Part has 3 core rads.

Rods Discount Datsun parts,look on web

install a 160 deg 54mm stat.

if it still heats up you got proplems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

make sure the intake lower gose is not soft and collapsing

as for a light flywheel you not looking hard enough(you must be RICH,as I dont even have one installed)

380$$$$$$$$$$$$new Fidanza look under 77-79 200sx 200mm

I have a used one in my pile(cost 150$ to rebuild plate)

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

I'll add my 2 cents. Along with putting in a new thermostat and flushing the cooling system, put a new radiator cap on it. Above all else.....put an over flow tank on it!!!!!! As the coolant heats up, it expands and blows out the overflow tube....when it cools back down, it has less coolant which will mean it will get hotter. You can easily end up with thermal runaway with either a bad cap and/or no overflow tank.

If your car has a fan clutch, you will have to change the water pump to use the aftermarket fan. If it is the clutch type, try to spin the fan blade. Give it a fairly good flip. It should stop in about a 1/2 turn. If it spins more, the clutch is bad. It's filled with a silicone goo that you can buy at Napa....cheaper than replacing the pump. If you want to change the pump....go with the fixed style and the aftermarket fan.

Also....if the temp starts to go, you can turn the heater on high...it will act as an aux radiator.

If you're going to bother carrying fluid....carry 50/50 mix as suggested. The more you dilute the system with plain water, the easier it will boil......which is counter-productive to what you are trying to do.

Once you get over the Grapevine it's literally downhill all the way. Pacheco Pass to the 101 is an easy trip.

N = uphill :lol:

I5 = night drive (& cooler)

101 = day drive, slower and enjoy the scenery :cool:

if youve never taken the 101 route, i recommend it (if you have the time)

69FJ, I get a flush done then see if our mechanic and stop something off the bat. He should take care of it.

Banzai, no I don’t have lots of money. Daddy does! Well not really. But he understands that the car does a few repairs and knows I actually need to fix the car before I go far distances. And btw if I do get a lightened flywheel, I’ll go to Top End in North Hollywood. They will lighten it for about 160.

Mklotz, great tips. I'll be sure to check with my mechanic on the extensiveness of the problem.

And Hang, I have taken the 101 but I was too young to remember it. So I think it’s a good bet to try it out. It's scenic as the 1 but not as long or majestic, and not as boring as the 5 but it’s not as fast either.

i drove my car from vacaville to tahoe in september the only time i had a teprature problem was threw placerville in stop and go traffic going up hill butit did fine on mountan roads i was passing people have a little bit more faith in your datto man or my buddy might have to take it hes looking for a 710