521 trans noise

banzai510(hainz)

I have good luck with my Datsun and have helped alot of people on here.

Right now I think Im fucked.

My trans is making noise every now & then. I notice the clutch felt like it was a 2 stage clutch a few months back but didnt worry about it.

Then I the light its making noise. I think T/O bearing?

But then it goes away. I drive and sometimes it feels like all the syncros went out and hard to get in gear. Then if I shift slow its OK. Then when driving its OK sometimes.

I have come to the conclusion after I ck the slave and bleed it. That its either the Main trans bearing inside

Or its the Centerforce stage 1 clutch those CHEEZY

weights, the cage assemble is wearing out or something. It almost sounds like a loose Trans shield inbetween the motor and trans but that is all tight.

So Im thinking its the Centerforce clutch!!!!!!!!!!anybody heard this with this?

But ITS COLD OUTSIDE and I dont want to do it!!!!!!!!!

Pull trans? Motor trans?

I have become what I most despise. I lazy Datsun owner!!!thats going to push it on the side of the house!!!!!!!

If my 510 I would be working on it! the 521 I just dont have the same motivation. that trans is just harder to pull out of those rigs!!!!!!!!!!

theres got to be a hurting Ford dealership with a cheap white rollup window Ranger for sale for 8K$

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

......theres got to be a hurting Ford dealership with a cheap white rollup window Ranger for sale for 8K$

Bra! No say that. Ku, Kanaloa and Pele goin get mad! Hahahahaha!

Sorry coo. Datsun gearboxes are more enigmatic to me then the punani.

-Brian

My bros 240sx makes noises when its in neutral or when he has the clutch pressed in on a stop. The trans is f'd up. Go get another one. The reason I say this is that the clutch is brand new and he did a huge burn out and fucked the trans up. Bought another trans with a new clutch kit and worked fine. Then did another burn out and messed that trans up too..

My bros 240sx makes noises when its in neutral or when he has the clutch pressed in on a stop. The trans is f'd up. Go get another one. The reason I say this is that the clutch is brand new and he did a huge burn out and fucked the trans up. Bought another trans with a new clutch kit and worked fine. Then did another burn out and messed that trans up too..

Car stopped, engine running, clutch in... nothing in the tranny is moving. If there is noise it has to be the release bearing, clutch, or pilot bearing in the end of the crank. Granted, it could still be fucked up, but if stopped with clutch in it can't be the tranny.

DON'T BE A PUSSY!!! Put on your big girl panties, yank the tranny, fix the problem ($350-400 for good tranny rebuild at least at my favorite Datsun trans shop), and enjoy the Datsun. End of story! :D You're just lucky all you have to do is the trans, which if you drain and cock to one side, actually clears the torsion bars pretty easily. I usually get all fours up and hold the bellhousing with my feet and the tailshaft with my hands. Looks like a monkey f*cking a football. Hehe.

I had to rebuild that stupid Z20 motor in the dead of winter and stick it back in and then reattach the front differential mess. That's a pain in the ass. Pulling a tranny on a 521 is a bitch, but not near the work.

Car stopped, engine running, clutch in... nothing in the tranny is moving. If there is noise it has to be the release bearing, clutch, or pilot bearing in the end of the crank. Granted, it could still be fucked up, but if stopped with clutch in it can't be the tranny.

Your right it does makes sense. But I cant drive it right now... Its in the impound lot... My bro was supposedly caught street racing... :(

Looks like a 521 you have to pull the whole motor to get the trans out or clutch swap. Due to the X member is welded to the frame.

If Im wront let me know.!!!!!!!No way to drop from underneath.

I have 2 spare Roadster clutches but dont want to run them on a daily driver

I will want stock a stock clutch for this.

Does anybody know a link for a Exedy/Daiken brand.?other wise I will ck Rockauto,importedcarparts. as I havent bought parts in years .

far as I can tell the noise goes away when I push in the clutch.

But in nuetral is can make noise and then one time while in gear it was making noise. Then sometime its hard to get in all gears.

It keeps changin, it not consistant.

I personally think its the Center force weights that a jamming up inside making the noise and doing something to the pressure plate fingers.

1)A T/O bearing would make noise when you push it in right? Its bad or not? So I rules that out.

2)The disc is fine and not wore out as I take off it grabs fine

3) I assume the main trans bearing is fine as if bad it would make noise all the time.

I used all NEW PARTS on this I shouldnt have to be separating the motor and trans so soon, But it happens CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

Datto 510 offered a FREE 521 flange type trans already.So I told him to throw it in the yard next to a 210 4 speed I also got Free. So that method still kinda works of leave one in yard a another will show up

also got 2 200sx 5 speeds and a stock 510 4 speed.

I just dont like working in the Cold.

I was a franks and Jeffs buddies place watching him put a exhaust on and Froze my toes. then the cars fuel pump took a crap. I just wasnt motivated in sub artic weather!!!!!!!!!!! I gave Jeff and frank a new heater core and seom T shirts and Left!!!!!!!!!!!!

The throw out bearing will stop making noise when you push it in? That's indicative of a bad throw out bearing.

You know the past 4 clutch kit's I've bought have either had the wrong throw out bearing or the bearing makes noise the second I start the car after install. Cheap crap they sell these days I guess :rolleyes:

Peoples, peoples! Its Hainz's inner hawaiian that don't like the cold. Freezers back home don't get his friggin cold! Hahahahaha!

Boss man: You don't need to pull the motor to yank the trans out in a 521. We did a long-tail 5spd swap into mine w/o pulling the motor. Helps to be able to have the truck up high though (i used a midrise lift.) I'M NOT SAYING ITS EASY though. PITA for sure.

-Brian

thanks

Ill look under there later this week.

808DA6,

How you exactly do this? I thought that welded x beam is in the way?

Redeye,

I tighten the arm at the slave up to put a slight tension on the T/O bearing but stull noisy But inconsistant. But still could be a T/O bearing I guess.

I might just put my org built yellow motor with cam(L16) back in there. this motor leaks oil from the head gasket anyways.

I kinda wanted to keep the cost down and wear this motor out then get rid of the truck( pulll my H4 lamps and GR starter off)

I talked to Jeff and he said he always did motor pulls.

510s are ez to drop the trans!!!!!!!!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

The transmission can come out separate. Disconnect the rear mounts from the tranny while supporting with a jack, undo all the bellhousing bolts etc. Anyway, when you get it loose and ready to take out, just slide it backward and up towards the cab putting the tailshaft on top of that crossmember.

You may have to twist the transmission on it's side and upside down to wiggle it back and then drop the bellhousing down and then push it down at an angle, picking the tailshaft up off the crossmember as you move it forward and then down and out.

Get the truck up decently high when you do this. Not much room for a creeper unless you have a lift.

thanks HRH for being specific on how to do it.

Redeye You serious???????? new one was louder.

I talk to Frank about this and he said he had a T/O bearing go bad in 2 years.

I guess I better ck where these are made at.

But Im still thinking its the CAGE holding those Cheezy CenterForce weights got loose/binding

guess Will find out in a few months

Secret Datsun T/O bearing trick #999:

Take a can of motorcycle chain lube and corresponding long straw, peel back the rubber that covers the shift fork. VERY CAREFULLY spray in some lube onto the throwout bearing, most have some sort of crack that will allow the spray grease to penetrate. Works wonders, saves effort. Can usually prolong a T/O bearing for years provided you catch them early when they're just a little dry, not horribly pitted.

Just make sure you don't get the spray grease on the clutch or pressure plate. They don't like that.

I found this good price for Daiken clutches. if you want stock

http://www.importrp.com/search.php?mode=search

I notice the T/O bearing is different part# than from a 510. I dont know why?

Anybody? Datzenmike? I always thought they were the same..

I still dont think its a T/O bearing as a bad T/O make a whinny noise. The proplem I have there is like a bad vibration shake when it happens.