510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool shit so what are you looking at a month or so maybe?

Haha, shit...

I'll probably have the motor all ready to drop in in about a month... But realistically, it might not be going in the car for 2 months or so... I'm kind of on the fence right now about picking up some used Brian Crower Stage 2 cams and slapping them in. If the right deal comes along, I'm probably going to get them. When I get paid, I'm going to start looking for a GReddy Emanage Ultimate and sell my Blue. The extra tuning features from the Ultimate are worth the money. Plus, you can score some pretty good deals from time to time on them! And I think with some playing around, you can delete the MAF.... which I am SO down for!!

The main thing is that I need to find a time that our buddy Nate will be free so we can fine tune it on a dyno with him. I know that as soon as it's running, I'll want to beat the fuck out of it... but I shouldn't do that until the clutch is broken in and it's tuned properly!

At least it'll look good for pictures while it's out of the car... :(

I am doing a slight rebuild. New fluid (obviously), new needle bearings, and a new snout bushing. The rotors and housing are in great shape, so they'll be left alone. With the other supercharger, if it's salvageable, we'll do a rebuild (duh!), as well as have the rotors recoated with teflon after they're cleaned up. I might look into buying new rotors for it just because (again, if the housing can be reused).

I'll also be picking up that newish supercharger to have as a backup/extra build, but if it's in the shape he said, it'll be left alone internally and we'll just port it.

Thanks, I love the mats, too! They totally set off the interior. I need a matching headliner (red/black checkers would be rad!)

Well it kind of makes sense the xterra/frontier ones would be the same, its the same motor in both cars. Why would the sc be dif? lol

I mean almost all the gm 3800 m62 eatons (which is a lot of dif models) are the same too for that reason.

The others being dif I think makes sense too, got to fit the application.

I think the main difference is the T-Bird has the intake mounted on the "back" of the supercharger (more toward firewall). I think the Mercedes Kompressor s/c uses a clutch pulley to stop boost at idle (trick feature!). But still offer same internals as the other ones, and same gearing, etc.

I don't know enough about them to tell exact differences. I do know the T-Bird won't work (easilly, at least) with the KA setup most people use, and the Mercedes is expensive.

Ya that sounds about right, I though the Komp sc was more squished/smaller looking too.

The ones on the nissan are kind of trick too no? I thought they had integrated waste gates or something like that to drop boost at idle just like the Komp turns it off. I mean in principal, to save gas and what not.

You're right again. The Merc s/c is more "squished" looking, using 6.5" rotors while Nissan and T-Bird use (I think) around 8" rotors. The clutch pulley is a nice feature, too on the Mercedes... But not worth the extra money IMO. Plus, I'm not sure (with the size of it) that you'd be able to adapt to the Nissan intake manifold as easily.

The Nissan for sure has an internal wastegate, which is what I'm porting in the videos I posted. They come flush with the mounting surface, so you need to grind down the wastegate opening to get some flow. Plus, you can get better flow out of the blower into the intake if you clean it up nice and low...

Ah I see. Is the one used by benz is comparable to the one GM Ford and Nissan use with larger fins? Just curious since they are the same model and all.

I really like that pulley too, since I watched mad max for the 1st time I have had that dream lol. Don't really think one would have to shell out for the entire benz model to use that feature though. Could just weld a proper sc (instead of V) belt pulley onto or around an ac compressor pulley and hook up a simple switch. That was/is my plan for the vg anyway :-).

Looking good too btw I keep forgetting to add that. It's really nice to click the 1st page and see how it began.

Haha, yeah! It's weird talking with people that my brother is friends with... Because they were either around before it was mine, or they actually OWNED IT before it was mine!! They all tell me how wild an improvement it's gone through!

The car as it sits, though, is NOT the same car that they owned. There is very little of the car that has not had a modification by me, and sooner than later, that'll change too!

Ah I see. Is the one used by benz is comparable to the one GM Ford and Nissan use with larger fins? Just curious since they are the same model and all.

I really like that pulley too, since I watched mad max for the 1st time I have had that dream lol. Don't really think one would have to shell out for the entire benz model to use that feature though. Could just weld a proper sc (instead of V) belt pulley onto or around an ac compressor pulley and hook up a simple switch. That was/is my plan for the vg anyway :-).

Looking good too btw I keep forgetting to add that. It's really nice to click the 1st page and see how it began.

its a little more complicated then that you would need to have a way to get air in the motor aside from the sc if the sc isnt turning air isnt getting into the motor i belever the benz has a secondary throttle body so that it can run na and sc

Right, Bonvo! They use two separate intakes, one leading to the s/c and one from a T/B to feed the motor. Very wacky setup... Total headache in disguise! But totally trick...

Phil keeps saying that if we do a KA-R in his 521, he'll be running the blower through the hood instead of under the intake.

Right, Bonvo! They use two separate intakes, one leading to the s/c and one from a T/B to feed the motor. Very wacky setup... Total headache in disguise! But totally trick...

Phil keeps saying that if we do a KA-R in his 521, he'll be running the blower through the hood instead of under the intake.

and only proving that what happend in mad max isnt real lol but i love that movie my favorite scene is when hes catching up to the bike every hill hes closer then hes right on his ass :P

Ya I had an argument about that same topic on hbz way back lol. The benz does use a sep tb but I argue it's not necessary. So long as the fins can spin freely, the air is pulled through. I have seen it on a bbc, running just fine with the sc spinning freely. I believe benz did it that way for ease and efficiency, not because it was needed.

Edit: and since no one sees the motor in mad max I don't think anyone can say it i or isn't "real" lol, Its very possible.

Ya I had an argument about that same topic on hbz way back lol. The benz does use a sep tb but I argue it's not necessary. So long as the fins can spin freely, the air is pulled through. I have seen it on a bbc, running just fine with the sc spinning freely. I believe benz did it that way for ease and efficiency, not because it was needed.

Edit: and since no one sees the motor in mad max I don't think anyone can say it i or isn't "real" lol, Its very possible.

i suppose its possible btu how does that explain the numerous hotrods ive seen that done run when the sc isnt turning

Well I haven't seen everyone motor you have seen so I can't say lol. Bolt a roots type supercharger to a motor with no belt and the engine will run, I know it 1st hand. A clutch pulley would allow that to happen at will so long as the pulley and fins can rotate freely and independent of one another.

I'm not using a clutch pulley. I can link you two lovebirds to the supercharged KA forum over at KA-T.org, if you'd like, though!

The main thing is that I'm not running a big enough motor or power goal to need a tricked out blower. Otherwise I'd consider going for a centrifugal blower instead.

Or fuck it, let's roll a Gear Driven blower?

SB%20Ford%20Gear%20Drive%20002.jpg

So hot!!

No way, I'm better than that! I only slightly remembered about that particular motor because those two took up a page and a half with Eaton chat! So I wanted to post the end-all of superchargers with the gear driven sex that is that motor... It was actually posted in a thread for a 240sx using an LSX and one of those setups... The thing is tubbed out and NUTS. Search for it on Zilvia for a droolfest over a few teaser pictures...

In any case, I played around with MSPaint for a while thinking about how to route the belts/pulleys.

This is how it's going to be set up if we don't fiddle with anything.

PulleyBelts.jpg

This would be the easiest way to get better tension around the boost pulley with what I've got.

PulleyBelts2.jpg

This would probably be the BEST way to do things. It would give better tension and the extra blue plate would act as a support structure for the intake manifold/adapter plate/supercharger to keep them in place too.

PulleyBelts3.jpg

Also, the wiring harness got here this afternoon. Yay! My hands are sticky from removing all this crap:

IMG00273-20090926-1858.jpg

This is how it looks currently... I need to pull out a wiring diagram and start tracing things back.

IMG00274-20090926-1858.jpg

Naked wires are starting to get me hot...

Once the wires I don't need are gone, I'll start measuring and mocking the harness up in my engine bay to see where things need to be routed, shortened, extended, hidden and relocated... The fun is about to start!!