Vin Decoder site.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

All doors may not have them and some people may put different year doors on them from different year 720's.My  whole front end body parts has been replaced cause of deers.You can't tell.So the information on the door may not be right.You can even change the Vin number and speedometer.You could be driving a stolen vehicle.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
6 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

All doors may not have them and some people may put different year doors on them from different year 720's.My  whole front end body parts has been replaced cause of deers.You can't tell.So the information on the door may not be right.You can even change the Vin number and speedometer.You could be driving a stolen vehicle.

So, what's the point of using the VIN decoder at all? 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 67_1600 said:

So, what's the point of using the VIN decoder at all?

On something that old, not much. Best with newer stuff where you can get lots of details.

Yes original VIN numbers can be relocated on vintage so may not help much, but the true original VIN will still be stamped on the frame so you can verify if the other VIN tag isn't the right one.

My vin is only 12 digits long so none of the internet parts websites or decoders will accept it. The only place that was able to pull up my trucks info (build date/location/body style) using the vin was the Parts department at my local Nissan dealership. So the Nissan dealership parts department is your best bet if you're not having any luck on the internet.

• Like 1

On an '85??? All '81 and up are 17 digits. Usually start JN for Japan 6 for truck. Starting June '83 some trucks were built in the US so IN6

edit: Made for Saudi Arabia.

• Like 1

I assumed that you meant the build date, which is located on the id plate on the driver’s side door JAM, not the door. Because, yes, the door can be easily replaced, the cab is not so easy.

20 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Or you might have a counterfeit VIN tag. Sold with whatever info you want. Occasionally sold even on this site. Restorers my ass!

18 hours ago, 720_Jeff said:

The vehicles from Japan have the metal tag.  US Made, have the sticker.

Interesting. I didn’t know that. I guess both of the 720’s I have now are from Japan.