Scammer On Ratsun? ~ "You be the Judge"

Hey, 

Guys I know I've been here just a few days,......but I think you guys get my vibe.

I'm an experienced forum user, of about 25 years or so.

I jump in and introduce myself, do some posting, start some threads, crack jokes, ask questions, and try to make friends.

So,..... the story starts here,.....

I placed a wanted ad in the classifieds for a factory service manual.

Guy messages me that he has one for $100.

Here are the PM'S back and forth,......

(response to my ad)

Hello buddy, I got an actual service repair manual book for 720 pickup available if you are still interested.

Manual is in good use and no missing pages.

$100 ship to around US 48 state for free.

Pics of the Manual available in my email below. 
holyjames11@aol.com 

(Then my big mouth being friendly)

MachineMan 31

Hello!

And thank you!

Today was running around day.

(cause I just got this 720)

Bought it at night,...... was missing the front license plate.

So,...call my insurance people and get covered.

Next, some hardware to screw the plate on, and go to the DMV, (AAA).

Nice girl helped me, I was as nice as could be, made her laugh a few times,...... it was still $90.00.

Then I went to IN-N-OUT.

Met an old guy that makes tools for the wood trade.

Finally back to the  shop.

First time out in traffic with this thing, seems ok .

That manual sounds great and I'll buy it.

A member sent me a link to the PDF version. That is ok so I can do I valve adjustment etc., but I like a factory manual in my hand.

For trade I have precision instruments, dial indicators, micrometers,etc.

Tools and Tooling.

Also model "A", and model "T" parts.

Vintage VW parts.

I have a ton of stuff over here.

So just ask.

Do you have Pay-Pal?

Be Cool,

MM

(His response)

Exantusjurge 0

Ok buddy, 

check out my paypal email below 

$100

matogqetajy@hotmail.com

send via family and friends option 

I am still interested, but,.................

I checked your status here.

You have been here a very short time.

You have zero posts.

You didn't even post introducing your self.

Not a single word of text, not a single photo.

Under "cars" you entered, "Tatum 09",........

A search came up with no such car or truck by that name.

I, on the other hand, joined recently, have done a good amount of posting, including introducing myself, "and filling out my profile page"

Posting what I do for a living, cars and trucks I own that actually exist.

I'm a business owner, and I have over 25 years experience in forums of all types, including automotive forums.

There are a number of red flags on your end,... and none on my end.

If you can clear up  my concerns then sure, we can do business,

otherwise I'll have to take a pass.

List the manual on ebay, where I have "buyer protection"

send me the link to the listing, and I will for sure buy it asap.

No offence, but I don't know you,.... is there any long time member

here that can speak up for you?

Let me know

MM  

*******************************************************************************************

So then I contact Izrl, and he has the same bad vibe off this guy.

I message the admin,.... he tracks the IP to Nigeria.

OK,.........  

First clue for me,.... all the great trade items,.... and not one question.

Every member would have asked about good items like that, or, it would be like,

"any fishing lures?", "any reloading stuff?" 

You know, like a "Normal Person"

My take on this,.... This is an ignorant, uneducated, unemployed, piece of human garbage.

(I mean that in the nicest way)

Too bad I no longer have any friends in Rhodesia, (now Zimbabwe)

Suddenly the problem would go away.

Buyer Beware

MM

• Like 2
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This Scammer out of Nigeria is still rolling around on the site.

Take a quick look at my profile page,.... he visited about an hour ago.''

"Buyer Beware"

MM

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

and if members could let us know when this sort of thing happens we can dust off the old ban hammer. 🙂

I reported it to Mike, and then generated this thread.

Mike traced his IP to Nigeria.

I thought the guy got bopped,.... maybe somehow he slid back in?

MM

• Like 1

Scammers don't announce what their intentions are.  Usually it's complaint driven. I can't go through every newcomer and if they are tricky they can hide their true IP address. Besides the IP is just a hint. There have been member that complain about other members but can't really ban just on someone's say so.

Anyway he's now banned. I did disable his messenger so he can't bother anyone two days ago, and his posts have to go through a mod.

If they don't have a Datsun but own a Beemer I ban them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I tried to warm up to the guy,.......

I called him, "an ignorant, uneducated, unemployed, piece of human garbage"

Yes,....I tried to make friends with the guy,.......... got no reply.

No one can say I didn't try my best to be nice.

MM

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, MachineMan said:

I reported it to Mike, and then generated this thread.

Mike traced his IP to Nigeria.

I thought the guy got bopped,.... maybe somehow he slid back in?

MM

I was waiting to see if he posts up here. 🙂

• Like 2
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Scammers don't announce what their intentions are.  Usually it's complaint driven. I can't go through every newcomer and if they are tricky they can hide their true IP address. Besides the IP is just a hint. There have been member that complain about other members but can't really ban just on someone's say so.

Anyway he's now banned. I did disable his messenger so he can't bother anyone two days ago, and his posts have to go through a mod.

His profile says he's in "Ohio"

IP says "Nigeria"

Enough for me,...... and any member here.

I say take up a collection, hire a professional, and "retire" the worthless scum.

(I mean that in the nicest way)

MM

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I don't own a Datsun...

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

@d.p doesn't own a Datsun AND has a bimmer. Ban him. Or her. I could never tell.

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Agreed, can't spot them until they send someone a questionable email, and that person knows what to look for and reports it. Even then it's kind of tricky to filter Scammers from noobs.

A big red flag is when they try to pull you away from the site you're on, to either another website or email address. Best thing to do is to conduct all communication and sales/purchases within the site you're on whether it be a forum, eBay, Facebook, Amazon etc... and if in addition they don't have a decent history of activity with the site, that's another red flag. There are more things you can look for but if you look out for the above two things. You will filter out a good chunk of them. There's a small chance they might still be legit but honestly it's not worth the risk for me. 

Best thing to do would be to create a thread and listing tips on how to spot scammers on this site and that explains how to report them. Then leave it up to a moderator to decide if they're a scammer.

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 3

Why not waste their time and tell them you Paypal'd the money to his his email address ? Keep them hanging. That's what I do to those Indian scammers telling me my credit card has been hacked/used for a large purchase. I kept one guy on the phone for twenty minutes giving him bad credit card numbers, the wrong 3 digit code on the back and a bad expiration date. The guy kept at it so I did also. When I finally told him I was fucking with him he told me, and I quote "Fuck your mother 10,000 times " I laughed my ass off at him and he hung up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Telemarketers.... Interrupt them and say someone is on the other line or at the door. My brother in law was a master at this. Every few minutes he would check back and string them along. Again interrupt them saying someone is on the other line or my kids going to bed BRB. Hang on, the dog want's out, the cat want's in, kids are fighting, have to turn the stove down....... 

• Like 3

As someone who also runs a forum and helps out people with their stuff if they start off by trying to kick you off the site and go straight to email or something that's usually not a good sign. 

Unfortunately there's been a lot of scammers from Nigeria and Indonesia using these recently which led me to having to block the entire country of Nigeria IP range. I'm not suggesting that the staff here do that but it might be an option if necessary

• Like 5

This movie is a good example of how to handle scammers.

(of course the liberal left crowd would prefer to give them a bouquet of roses and an apology)

I say give the liberal left crowd there own place, let them run it right into the ground,......

Then latch the gate and not let them back in.

"You made your bed, now lay in it"

"You reap what you sow"

Why should the the policies of the left affect everyone in the nation?

The left can keep their madness and insanity,

and the common sense crowd should be allowed to live what has always been considered, a "reasonable" life.

MM 

• Like 2

When I was talking about regarding IP blocking would require doing it at the firewall level. I don't know who provides hosting but you have to talk to them about it if it is a shared platform they probably will say no but you can always try adding it to an Apache Htaccess file

• Like 2
6 hours ago, MachineMan said:

(of course the liberal left crowd would prefer to give them a bouquet of roses and an apology)

I say give the liberal left crowd there own place, let them run it right into the ground,......

"You reap what you sow"

and the common sense crowd should be allowed to live what has always been considered, a "reasonable" life.

MM 

If you're going to bitch about how shitty things are or about the liberal left that's politics and should go here.... 

20 hours ago, MachineMan said:

"You reap what you sow"

MM 

Yes, please keep the politics to that other thread.

Don't assume that I disagree with you, but I purposely ignore those threads because I don't come to Ratsun to talk politics.

• Like 2