Any other motorcycle enthusiasts here?

I would totally ride one of those new/old Triumphs, but I figure if I'm spending that money, why not get a Ducati Monster? Or how about one of those old/new Honda 650s? Those are so cool. I actually tried finding one for sale a few years ago and they've already attained stupid money status.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Or how about one of those old/new Honda 650s? Those are so cool.

Not familiar with those... 🤔

17 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I actually tried finding one for sale a few years ago and they've already attained stupid money status.

I had the same problem with the CB1100. I really wanted one but they only sold them for a short time, in limited numbers (in the US market), and then cancelled it. So now the used ones are fetching stupid money because they are so "rare".

XBaFl5a-2g-oviNKTycrkQXQOaRxcXDV0EeNEucQ

Edited by datsunfreak

I'm addicted to riding motorcycles. I mostly ride on the dirt with a couple modern bike, a Yamaha YZ250X, an a KTM 500 EXC-F. I also have a 1984 Yamaha RZ350 twin cylinder 2-stroke restomod street bike. It has modern front suspension from a 99' Yamaha R1 and a Yamaha FZ600 aluminum swingarm mated to a R6 shock. The engine is mostly stock with just a set of cambers, a pod air filter, and modern electronics for reliability. The frame has been detabbed and powder coated, but I still need to paint the bodywork, I'm going with the yellow and black Kenny Roberts livery. I've ridden the bike all over Oregon, Washington and Idaho.

IMG_20180730_180702741.jpg

• Like 5
On 6/26/2024 at 7:38 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

Enthusiast here. For some reason I like Yamahas, probably due to my first enduro.

My brother and I used to ride this one as kids. I gave it away at one point and it came back to me. The engine is currently almost back together and waiting for me to get motivated again.

IMG_4377.jpeg.2147db19be4a32f265f09fda0ed137c4.jpeg

I remember the 250 enduro from back in the day.

Same look as the picture above,..... by memory it was sometimes called a DT1

I was 17, so 50 years ago.

• Like 2

I had breakfast yesterday with one of my Datsun buddies. (He is not on Ratsun) We were talking bikes, and I told him when I was in my 20's, I had a chance to ride one of the first Kawasaki 1100 Ninja bikes that hit the USA shores.    The driver of the bike was a manager at Kawasaki, and the bike was his company demo.  He pulled up on this thing at a mutual friend's house, and he tossed me the keys and told me to take it for a spin.  He also warned me to be very careful, as the bike was exceedingly fast.

I did heed his warning, but of course, I did have a chance to get on it a bit.  That bike felt like I was strapped onto a rocket with wheels compared to what I had been riding.

My Datsun friend then mentioned that he just recently got a bike with was just shy of 200 horsepower.  He didn't mention what the brand was, but did say it actually had some sort of wheelie control.  He told me I could take it for a test ride sometime, but I am honestly a bit scared to do that.  I'm turning 70 on my next birthday, and my spidey senses are tell me to stay off it.

• Like 3

My list of bikes to find includes -

Honda Hurricane 600

Honda VFR750 (or 1000)

Honda RC30

Honda NS500

Kawasaki GPZ550

Kawasaki Ninja 600 (early)

Yamaha RZ350 Roberts

Any Ducati, early, late, etc

Any rotary powered bike

Triumph 1930s-1950s twin

HRD or Vincent

Royal Enfield / Brough Superior

What am I missing?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Honda Hurricane 600

Honda VFR750 (or 1000)

Honda RC30

Honda NS500

Kawasaki GPZ550

Yamaha RZ350 Roberts

Any rotary powered bike

Triumph 1930s-1950s twin

HRD or Vincent

What am I missing?

That blue Kawasaki 500 two stroke from when I was in High school

(former fastest production bike available)

The Kawasaki 750 two stroke from the same time frame

(former fastest production bike available)

And for fun the Honda 305 Scrambler, with TT pipes

MM

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A friend of mine had a Kawi 750 2-stroke. It would lay rubber.

Back in the day guys would port em', put expansion chambers on em',................

Truth is they were deadly fast.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Honda Hurricane 600

Honda VFR750 (or 1000)

Honda RC30

Honda NS500

Kawasaki GPZ550

Yamaha RZ350 Roberts

Any rotary powered bike

Triumph 1930s-1950s twin

HRD or Vincent

What am I missing?

I would say early CB750 or GL1000, but maybe that's just me. 😁

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
On 7/3/2024 at 11:48 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Some of the designs were just plain funky. Like the Purple Rain era bikes. Not a huge fan...

I think this was the era when aftermarket accessories blew up, causing a lot of that ugliness.

I know on my Goldwings (all 3 were GL1000 models from the late 70s), everyone seemed shocked they did not have a big fairing and were surprised to learn that those were all aftermarket additions, not factory.

1975-honda-goldwing-1000

They didn't have a factory fairing until they introduced the "Interstate" GL1100 model in 1980. 

61f3e6e42656ac5ead1549e3.jpg

A lot of Goldwing enthusiasts remove those to go back to the early bike's look...

mike-r-3.jpg

FWIW, Prince's bike was a CM400A (autotragic) with an aftermarket (looks like a Vetter) fairing.

purple-rain--1068x802.jpg

• Like 2

my 2 strokes.sold the RZ350 and the 400.

I got the 1975 back with DG pipes

To many cars and bikes to keep up with. Im not a big bike rider

Was kinda looking at the RoyalEnfileds 650s.made in India  have that british retro look. But I rarely ride my RD350. really a Suzuki DR650 would be the pratical bike to get next

Now if Owners of Husqvarna(KTM) could make a retro of the 70s bikes single cylinder that would be the shit. Low seat height.like a dual sport

100_0284.JPG

100_0285.JPG

• Like 3

I've ridden since a kid on a Yammie YZ80 then a Suzuki 125 before going street on a Honda CB550F SuperSport, later a CB750F and 900F.  My short legs made the last 2 a tippy toe experience but I enjoyed dragging the pegs. Most recently I sold off my BMW R1100RT and only have my CRF230L remaining.

IMG_2332.thumb.jpg.717ee7f3b4adfe999190d0414379e26c.jpg

Since becoming one with a cane a few years back I still manage to thoughly enjoy riding the bike as it is a blast around town, so light and nimble - and skinny for my F'd up hips - that I'm begrudgingly considering selling it. Wife has pre-approved a replacement so I'll need to get out on some demos soon. Not a great optic to walk over with a cane and hop (crawl) onto a bike !

I am unwilling to give up riding at this point in my life.

• Like 3