Spent some time working on my nephews 67 Cougar, getting it ready for the road.

Good solid car, was someone's project so needs a bit of rework, but runs good. 289 3spd manual 2bbl

IMG_2096b.thumb.jpg.fddf40eb272cda49fc568b025f2128d9.jpg IMG_2098b.thumb.jpg.943c0325ec4d562fece8c3a9453ba741.jpg IMG_2108b.thumb.jpg.94736c007081cb3b72108fbc54be8b13.jpg IMG_2101b.thumb.jpg.942f0764953485a1ca389ba1185f2b36.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember the Cougar when it came out. A neighbor bought one. Three or four years later a co worker bought a used one. An XR-7 G. A commemorative car made in limited numbers for when Dan Gurney raced for Ford. Never saw one like it. Had fog lights built into the front valance, 4bbl., electric sun roof and more. Years later he blew up the engine, it have four bolt mains. I think it was a forerunner of the Boss 302. It was scary fast.

• Like 1

We are considering swapping out the 3 speed for a 4 or 5, but though there is parts commonality, the availability is the issue - just like we experience with obsolete Datsun parts.

Personally I like the 289 and just might build that motor to put out a bit more juice... nothing radical, 100% turn-key streetable. If you can't grab the keys, jump in and drive somewhere, what's the point?

10 hours ago, EDM620 said:

We are considering swapping out the 3 speed for a 4 or 5, but though there is parts commonality, the availability is the issue - just like we experience with obsolete Datsun parts.

Except a lot of the Ford parts are available new. 😁

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-7003-z

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lak-lk8000/make/ford

Edited by datsunfreak
12 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Not sure about Cougar body parts, but you can buy and assemble a complete early Mustang from a catalog.  I know you can't find any Cougars in wrecking yards, but new stuff is widely available.

5 minutes ago, Duncan said:

can't find any Cougars in wrecking yards

West Coast Classic Cougar in Salem Oregon has parts, we have identified a few bits we need right away including door hinges. Thankfully there are guys who hoard specific cars for the rest of us!

• Like 1

I remember seeing the first Mustang walking home from high school. It was brown and a vert. Around '70, I and a buddy rolled his '65 271 horse 289. Couple of years later another buddy got a year old '71 Boss 429 Mach One Mustang. Drove it a few times.