Flowbench home made from plans for pro L20b

all510

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your cfm numbers from a home made one will probably not be comparable to a bought one which is properly calibrated but it will show gains and losses on your work and that is good enough for pointing you in the right direction.  

Build a L head like Darren down under.  Scoot the intake valve over 2mm and run a 4mm bigger intake valve.  He made 50hp more then the next guy.  Beat everyone so bad they changed the rules.  haha.  

• Like 1

Thank you every one for responding. let me explain; I am retired now and would like to get back into racing. At my age (74) vintage would be just right. I still have my full race 510 (1800cc long rod motor with cosworth pistons ,dat comp head, Isky cam -close ratio box). What I am looking for in a flow bench is repeatability and changes because I would be  measuring any changes against my racing head.

Thank you again. Please contact me if anyone would like old pro info from the 1970-80 area . I got my help frrom the best in the usa at the time.

• Like 3

I'm running a 1970 510 vintage car in Michigan and other venues in the midwest.  Just restarted this summer.  Also running an L18.  Vintage is a blast.  Enjoy!

When you said Dat comp head, do you mean the FIA head or some other version?  I know Ermish runs an FIA head with the 50mm Mikunis.

The stock A87 head is ok but the U67 has wider ports. While the A87 is an open combustion chamber there are some closed ones around. The ultimate stock head is the 219 (L16/18SSS) or the re-issued 912* which is the only one with 1.5" intake ports.

edit... I had 912 and 219 reversed.

18 hours ago, all510 said:

Thank you every one for responding. let me explain; I am retired now and would like to get back into racing. At my age (74) vintage would be just right. I still have my full race 510 (1800cc long rod motor with cosworth pistons ,dat comp head, Isky cam -close ratio box). What I am looking for in a flow bench is repeatability and changes because I would be  measuring any changes against my racing head.

Thank you again. Please contact me if anyone would like old pro info from the 1970-80 area . I got my help frrom the best in the usa at the time.

Good to hear you're back in the game. Not many of the younger generation understand how to build a proper race car anymore using the old tricks.

I've recently got back into racing too. We bought a Huffaker built MG Midget last year and have been racing that. I am also building a '62 Sprite for my kids tro race, and my brother and I just picked up a 510 to build for BS/2.5TA racing. Our hiatus was a mere 25 years...

8 hours ago, iceman510 said:

I'm running a 1970 510 vintage car in Michigan and other venues in the midwest.  Just restarted this summer.  Also running an L18.  Vintage is a blast.  Enjoy!

When you said Dat comp head, do you mean the FIA head or some other version?  I know Ermish runs an FIA head with the 50mm Mikunis.

Hi everyone;  I must say that I read forums before but I am not familiar on how to answer or click in the right place. So please advise if don t respond incorrectly.

My race head is not an fia head. My dat. head was purchased from dat.comp in 1981 and forwarded directly to a porting service here in canada. The code I will have to look but it is not a 912 head; it is a closed chamber comp head. I raced that head with 1600 motor. Went to 1800 cc in 3 yr later but head was moded for 280z valves with hardened seats. FIA heads came in two types: early and late. Early FIA type were not as successful as planned. The later FIA head worked well but they are rare as hens teeth.

I talked to the fellow at rebello in Ca about 5 years ago and he said the old fia heads had too big an intake port and too small exhaust valve and port.

He also told me a fairly good race could be made by using an L20b head (W58 I believe). The open chamber head could be plained also.

Sorry to be so long winded

2 hours ago, RLJ said:

What is a 912 head or did you mean 219?

(yeah I had them reversed)

The closed chamber 219 casting was a Japanese market head only and used on the L16SSS and the L18SSS in the 510 Coupe. It was never exported but a few would have found their way here as scrapped import engines. They are a highly sought after item for competition and any spares would have been used up by attrition.

But, the demand was there, so Nissan reversed the numbers and re-issued them as the 912 casting. These could be ordered with a variety  of port and valve sizes.

11041-U8880, a SSS with 32mm (1.25”) intake ports

11041-U0600A, a SSS head with 38mm (1.50”) intake ports

99996-D1160, a race head with factory port and polish work

99996-D1161, a SSS head with the 280ZX P90 Turbo 44mm (1.73”) intake valves and factory port and polish

They may still be available in the NSMO catalogue?

Some 219 heads are cast with A87 on the side but have a small 219 cast on the lower left front.

Yes, the early FIA head has sewer pipe size ports and does not work so well as mentioned.  Late head is the ticket for the highest L performance.

I have a couple 912 heads.  They have both been ported (by someone prior to me), and a couple A87 closed-chamber versions.  Not to mention numerous U67 open-chamber heads.

• Like 1

Good evening iceman,  my head is an A87. Later on it was modified with slight intake port work in bowl area and 280z valves with hard seats. I found with the 1800 +dome cosworth pistons+1600 rods (longer) it would turn easily to 7500 to 8000 rpm.

Have fun Racing.

• Like 1