85 Nissan 720 4x4 New carpet.

Thomas Perkins

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The carpet is out.I put the Dynamat down last time I put carpet in.If you notice,the back panel has Dynamat on the other side,So I did take the panels off.Them panels are just cheap chipboard.Easy to tear,and they are old.I have some from work,but they are small.We use them at work,to put under printing plates in crate containers so they won't mess up the bottom plate.I can get the scarp pieces if I ask.I couldn't get the 4x4 knob off,I was not going to force it.So the boot stays,but it will be no problem when I install the carpet.I did use adhesive spray to hold the carpet down on the center hump.It did it's job. At one time,oil was coming up thru the speedometer cable and dripping on the carpet and under the dash.It don't do that anymore.Plus,my heater core started leaking.I don't have a heater core no more.No stains on the Dynamat.Ru2NJt8.jpg

100_0777.jpg

100_0770.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins

I got the three panels out and the 2 side windows.The rear panel is needing repaired at the bottom,you can see the white filler on it.I am going to sand it and repaint all three.When you go to get the side panels off.The padding has clips,so you will need to pull the panel up to get it off.Also,their are two screws below the padding. I just reached thru the side window opening and pulled the padding up and it came off.I did end up tearing up the jack rod clips,when I was removing them.Bummer.I bought them from a Nissan site from over seas not long ago. Our Nissan site here in the USA no longer has them.These were black and the original ones were white.I will order some more tonight,they don't cost that much.I am going to buy me some extra one's.If anyone needs some, let me know and I will order you some too.

100_0791.jpg

100_0789.jpg

100_0787.jpg

100_0785.jpg

100_0780.jpg

100_0783.jpg

100_0782.jpg

Okay ya'll.I found my receipt on the jack clamp that holds it to the back panel.Their are 2 of them.I still have the old white ones but they are broke at the end.I usually buy 2 sets but some reason I didn't. They are 90 cent each and they have 47 left.So 1.80 for two.Shipping is high.Since I am ordering them,just pay me 1.80 for two and whatever it cost to ship from here to your place.I bought these back in DEC.29,2022.I broke them today.These are OEM Nissan parts.No longer available in the USA.

7983280W00.jpg

2 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

That material is called chipboard not cardboard.We use both at work,our chip is not as thick as the kick panels.I could take them together and make them that thick,but I will make my own.

I forget which year, think it's 86 that has the plastic kick panels.  If I'm not mistaken, I think both my 85's have plastic as well.  I'll have to look.

Couple guys on Facebook, Francisco and another in NoCal, both probably have the plastic kind.  They are a little bit expensive, forget what they are asking these days.

If you're making them yourself, you probably have a decent enough template from the old ones.  Don't recall where, someone made some decent looking sheet metal kick panels.

Edited by 720_Jeff
21 minutes ago, 720_Jeff said:

I forget which year, think it's 86 that has the plastic kick panels.  If I'm not mistaken, I think both my 85's have plastic as well.  I'll have to look.

Couple guys on Facebook, Francisco and another in NoCal, both probably have the plastic kind.  They are a little bit expensive, forget what they are asking these days.

If you're making them yourself, you probably have a decent enough template from the old ones.  Don't recall where, someone made some decent looking sheet metal kick panels.

Their are some on Ebay that are going for 150.I will use mine to make some.I will do that after I get everything  put back together.My next thing I will do is place the old carpet on the new and and trace out all the holes.I painted the three panels today.Here they are.Nice but not 150 nice.

20200815_170937_1024x1024.jpg

55 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Their are some on Ebay that are going for 150.I will use mine to make some.I will do that after I get everything  put back together.My next thing I will do is place the old carpet on the new and and trace out all the holes.I painted the three panels today.Here they are.Nice but not 150 nice.

20200815_170937_1024x1024.jpg

Pretty good.  Don't know I'd spend 150 on a pair, just to cut out the speaker grill on them.  Looks like you've come up with a pretty good alternative, and saved $150.  That's just enough to take the wife out for dinner.

I am finally going to trim the carpet out.I am going to do the back piece first.I had to clean the screws holding the seat belts to the floor and the jump seat screws.Some of the black Dyanmat was stuck to it.It is gooey.I soaked them in gas and it dissolved it.I got all the panels and some of the seat belts painted.I am off tomorrow.I won't be done though.The last thing to do is the kick panels.Then I have another project to do.Oh yeah,and hunt for some new seat covers and floor mats.

I got the back piece trimmed out and it fits great. I do have the 4x4 lever opening marked on the back of carpet.I wanted to make sure it lined up and it does.I will take it out in the morning and cut it out.I also have the sides marked too but I will trim it at the end.I need to go in the morning and get some adhesive spray.I love the medium gray.

100_0796.jpg

100_0794.jpg

Hi Ya'll.It done got hot and humid again.Today,I put the rear seat belts in and the back part is done.I found some thick Diamond plate sheets to do my kick panels.Now I will cut the holes out for the front carpet.I had fasteners left from last time to secure the rear and side panels.I got them from clips and fasteners.I have been them for a long time.Just enter the OEM part number.I am waiting on my jack rod clips.

100_0804.jpg

100_0806.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ya'll.Does anyone  have a seat belt bolt that I can buy from you or trade something for it.I ended up losing one behind the passenger side panel.I tucked the seat belt in the opening where the panel goes when I was installing the carpet.I thought I put tape on the bolt to hold it on the seat belt.We'll it came off and it is sitting behind the panel and it will stay there.Not going to take it all apart for that bolt.I went to Home Depot,Lowe's and Tractor Supply Co. and no luck.It is 7/16 nf. 20.It is 1 1/2 inch long.I ended up taking the back seat belt bolt and putting it on the passenger one.Same size.I am not going to drill and re tap to another size.

100_0850.jpg

100_0849.jpg