Headlight switch wiring?

RyanC

So I hatched a plan to add seperate switch for the ring lights on the new led head lights and I thought I don't have ciggy lighter so I bought another 620 headlight switch..

Now realise that the switch will turn 1 set on then both probably eg high and low beams. 

Looks like I could cut one of the wires on the switch to limit it to white and yellow  so to speak not both.

I figure it just needs positive in and then the 2 out to each set of lights but again.

PXL_20230804_080110872.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.00ab7c2785fe8a85a7f1a10da6056944.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

521 had a headlight switch with fog light option (rotate instead of pull for fog lights).  Did the 620?  If I had halos I'd just wire like parking lights and break them with my turn signal, so they double as turn signals.

Edited by thisismatt
2 hours ago, thisismatt said:

521 had a headlight switch with fog light option (rotate instead of pull for fog lights).  Did the 620?  If I had halos I'd just wire like parking lights and break them with my turn signal, so they double as turn signals.

I just wired mine into the turn signals, so they stay off otherwise.

3 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I doubt you'll see them with the headlights on but really cool during the day.

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I doubt you'll see them with the headlights on but really cool during the day.

The trick would be to wire in a relay to cut power to the headlight when the turn signal is activated. 

59 minutes ago, Draker said:

The trick would be to wire in a relay to cut power to the headlight when the turn signal is activated. 

Daylight running lights are that way so you can see the turn signal but they wouldn't do this during night driving.

I just wanted the option between white and yellow.  I could easily wire to come on with Parker's or indicators. I'm going to pull a 12v trigger from ignition and I have a small fuse add on box So I can wire these...stereo and airbag suspension down the track etc

I could wire them with seperate switches etc but going more covert...

I haven't tested yet but I think you can have the white on and yellow for indicators and the yellow will flash over the white.  But my preference is just on or off....for now.

11 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Not so great at night exiting to a right turn 😛

Haha the halo has its own circuit /connection so lights still on with halo flashing some.modern cars do this I think with driving lights always on until turn signals are on.

11 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Japanese cars most are switchable ground. Least the head lamps are.

Is that the case with 620s ? I know my 510 was but thought I read somewhere it changed with 620s or that era??  That was fun wiring a relay thats earth was through the relay body mounts.  We could work it out.  Auto electrician took 3.mins.  made some plastic spacers on the lathe. Made the 150w high beams work a treat after that 

11 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Is there a aircond fuse wire under the fuse box. that would be  power from key switch

my 510 has this extra wire under the fuse box. people can use it for electric fuel pumps ect......

dont know if Aussie cars had this i option under fuse box

Thanks I'll have a look might be there then can wire up my extra fuse box/bus bar from this.

Many years ago I built a Datsun for a friend and we reverse engineered the headlight switch so we could build a custom wiring harness and use the factory switches. The headlight switch was a tough one to figure at the time, but turned out to be pretty simple in design. Can you take it apart and look at the sliding pins and figure it out? Do you have a multi-meter? Is there a diagram showing the internal workings of that switch? I bet there is.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, thisismatt said:

There is a diagram that shows the positions

Sorry Mate no attachment?

8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Many years ago I built a Datsun for a friend and we reverse engineered the headlight switch so we could build a custom wiring harness and use the factory switches. The headlight switch was a tough one to figure at the time, but turned out to be pretty simple in design. Can you take it apart and look at the sliding pins and figure it out? Do you have a multi-meter? Is there a diagram showing the internal workings of that switch? I bet there is.

Yes Have a multimeter and I think I know what is going on now.  Found it on the wiring diagram I realised I saved when I first bought the ute.   Looks like ignition positive and positive to relay then out to fuse box light circuit and something else.  Its over 2 pages I should just hand draw and take to the shed.

I have some aligator clips and spare 12v battery will do some probing.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...