Fuel pump

Sethe

I have a 1985 720 z24 king cab st i believe is the California edition with all of the vacuum lines going everywhere. I’ve just pulled it out and got it running after sitting for 10yrs I wanna do the fuel pump and filter just because it’s a 40yr old truck. Will be using as daily so the powerstroke can take a breather. From what I’ve read it has a frame mount fuel pump. But I see something on top of the tank that looks like fuel pumps that I’ve changed on other vehicles. Does any one know what that is? Looks like a twist to lock pump at the rear of the tank. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I figured it out mike it’s the float for the fuel gauge. What is the piece that looks like an in line filter that’s on the tank vent line?

If that pump is original and works, keep it. It’s much better than any aftermarket pump. Replace the filter inside the pump, along with the rubber gasket, as well as the inline filter and you should be good to go. That is, as long as your tank is clean.

• Thanks 2

Probably no need to replace if you aren't seeing any symptoms of a failing fuel pump.

There are plenty of similar looking pumps on eBay, in the $20-$40 range, no idea on quality, guessing cheap chinese knockoffs.

Facet Pumps come highly recommended by more than one on this forum.  They've always been expensive, now even more.  Think more than $150.

'Factory' pumps seem to be @ NissanPartsDeal.com.  I suspect, they are just knockoffs that Nissan is currently able to source.

Original pump, has the name and logo embossed on the top, Jidosha Kiki label.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you fix a Oem Nissan fuel pump.I have one that I took out long ago.I put a new little filter in it and new rubber gaskets.Is it a electrical problem.I have a brand new OEM Nissan one still in the box.I think I bought the last one Nissan had.I have a few new little filters I bought from Nissan.Here is the one back in 2018. I coudnt get to work.I still have it.I keep my extra filter and new pump in my truck in case it goes out.

100_7225.jpg

100_7221.jpg

100_7223.jpg

100_7228.jpg

100_7224.jpg

100_7237.jpg

100_7216.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Mike,my other fuel pump will not work.How do I fix it.The one in the picture I just posted.I need something to ticker with.I never had one that I fixed by putting a new filter and gasket in.The original one,I think I threw away 20 something years ago.All my rubber hoses are new.They are 5/16.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
1 hour ago, Thomas Perkins said:

How do you fix a Oem Nissan fuel pump.I have one that I took out long ago.I put a new little filter in it and new rubber gaskets.Is it a electrical problem.I have a brand new OEM Nissan one still in the box.I think I bought the last one Nissan had.I have a few new little filters I bought from Nissan.Here is the one back in 2018. I coudnt get to work.I still have it.I keep my extra filter and new pump in my truck in case it goes out.

100_7225.jpg

100_7221.jpg

100_7223.jpg

100_7228.jpg

100_7224.jpg

100_7237.jpg

100_7216.jpg

FSM only shows info about the internals, covered by the bottom cap.  Does it run?  Make any sound when 12v is applied to it?  If not, I'd guess probably not easily fixed.  Top cap seems to be pressed/crimped on.  I imagine taking it off, would be like taking the lid off a beer can.

Yeah,Mike.I guess I can take it apart and see if anything is out of place.I just fixed my grand sons Troybilt lawn mower.A lady gave it to him for cutting her grass.It was less than a year old.Looked brand new.He caught hell getting her yard cut.It would start and idle real bad.Filter was real dirty.Spark plug looked almost new.It would run for a minute and cut off.Believe it or not.It takes the same plug as our Nissan 720 exhaust side.I figured it was the carb.It has a black plastic carb on it and it looked like new,so clean.I went online watched a video and seen how he took the plastic piece off the inside of the bowl and sprayed it with carb cleaner and used my compressor and blowed it out and that fixed it.

1 minute ago, 720_Jeff said:

FSM only shows info about the internals, covered by the bottom cap.  Does it run?  Make any sound when 12v is applied to it?  If not, I'd guess probably not easily fixed.  Top cap seems to be pressed/crimped on.  I imagine taking it off, would be like taking the lid off a beer can.

No,it does nothing.I also have a FSM.

Nc85st ok I was just trying to get ahead of the game with it being 40yrs old. I’ll do as you said and keep the oem thanks 

• Like 1

I thought I helped someone find them ....

This was the listing from nissanpartsdeal....

Screenshot_20230601-105509_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.39d50fc12e990435111c47b11af6adda.jpg

Use that part number and you might be able to get at the dealer...

The ebay listing of the part is from a local to me dealer...

Screenshot_20230601-110237_eBay.thumb.jpg.7133204afde73df26e937abd9c5a2763.jpg

I dont have the links just the old picture....

• Thanks 1

I tried looking, but couldn't find any either.  Maybe, Napa might be able to look it up.  The pump itself, I recently found is a fairly common pump design.  Used on a bunch of Nissans, but also on many other makes as well.

Facet and some of the others, the filter is a screen.

Thank you guys. I didn’t even think about going to Nissan. I’m gonna mess with it next weekend. Is there a micron difference between the inline and the one in the pump? 

• Like 1

You can get a filter and 2 rubber gaskets from Courtesy Nissan for 20.75.The filter is 10.12,the gaskets are 2.92 each and shipping is 4.79.I use this Nissan site all the time.Best prices and shipping.They are in Texas.16404-28500 for filter.16406-29900 for rubber gaskets.The ones in my picture in my other post came from there.I have some but I keep some just in case.Get you a extra set.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Courtesy Nissan has been in the online game since the 1990's They figured out the online stuff and have done very well. They are in Richardson Texas, a suburb of Dallas.

• Like 1

I'm not sure which site or part number, I'm checking on 

17020-10w00 on Parts.nissanusa.com

Says, not currently available, sort of implies they may come back.  Tons of things have said that since Covid.  To be honest, not so confident, the pumps will come back.

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 7.44.50 PM.png

Edited by 720_Jeff