Automatic transmission

Sapoo

I’m looking to convert my manual 411 to an automatic, per my wife’s request. (As they say, “happy wife, happy life”.) has anyone done this before? Any issues I should know about? Seems like it’s pretty straight forward. Also, is sourcing a 411 auto trans even possible? I know about the classifieds, but only the scanners ever send me messages. Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 411 did come with automatics. Probably a Borg Warner 35 like the early 510. You'll need the bell bolt pattern for the R16? engine. I think Steve (]2eDeYe on here) has a 411 SSS that's automatic.

Well then I guess the 411 has a J series engine then and only the SSS got the R16.

The bolt pattern between J and Volvo is almost certainly different. The transmission bodies are probably all the same but the bell housings are different.

That’s what I thought, regarding the bell housing. I’ll have to see if I can source the bell housing or try to figure out a way to fabricate. 

Regarding the engine, I’m only aware of the J13 being used for the standard 411 and the R16 for the SSS. I think the E1 engine was also used on the 410, but I can’t remember. 

• Thanks 1
On 5/16/2023 at 8:28 AM, Sapoo said:

I found one that came off a 74 Volvo 145. Any possible issue with using this one? I’m planning to bolt it on to the j13 engine. 

I honestly doubt that the J engine has the balls to operate the BW M series automatic transmission.  The BW M transmission is still used in Europe so availability of transmission and parts is there but just where there is is a question, I did manage to find a complete BW M35 rebuild kit [less the front and rear bands] so have that as a backup, Search transmission listings for discussion and part numbers.

• Thanks 1
Just now, MikeRL411 said:

I honestly doubt that the J engine has the balls to operate the BW M series automatic transmission.  The BW M transmission is still used in Europe so availability of transmission and parts is there but just where there is is a question, I did manage to find a complete BW M35 rebuild kit [less the front and rear bands] so have that as a backup, Search transmission listings for discussion and part numbers.

Being used on late model European cars Metric rather than SAE fasteners MAY be substituted. Hopefully not BTS!

Did a little more research after it was mentioned that the j13 might not have the power to operate the BW. Looked into an R16 swap, but seems like that might be a bit more complicated than I was hoping for if pulled from a roadster. Was looking for a relatively simple solution so my wife could drive it in the short term. Long term plan is for an EV swap, but that’s a story for another thread. 

The J13 is about 68 hp. The A13 used in the B-210 was only 6 hp more and they were automatic. A J13 will easily work an automatic. It's not that interesting with a 4 speed just worse if an automatic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does it drive NOW??? Call it good and use it as a weekend car that you drive together Menaing you drive and she Shotgun

by the time you go thru all this pain and suffering  your wife will say I dont want to even drive it after she drives it a few times

I drive 2 Toyotas now 91 and 92 pickups as daily and driving my 521 I say WTF was i thinking driving this contraption. I regulate it now to weekends and local.

thats what your wife will think also if she used to modern vehicles.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
4 hours ago, Sapoo said:

Does anyone know if the column shifter on the 410 was only used for auto trans? Or was there also a manual column shift? 

I stored a 1965 410 2 Dr Sedan (RHD) for a friend of mine a while back and that particular vehicle had a 3 on the tree shifter.

If that helps any.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...