Another electronic ignition thread....

So I bought a Pertronix 1741, just to discover that it doesn't fit the E1 distributor, but not before pulling everything apart.

I have now ordered a FAST XR-700, which is a system I installed in the 90's and I recall it being pretty easy.  I hate the extra box

@wayno has a thread, where he was able to get the 1741 installed, but not without major mods to the plate.    

WAYNO POST

Given that I really don't want to use the xr-700, can anyone tell me specifically which british distributor is a direct fit for the E1 engine?

IS THIS ONE A CORRECT PART?

Can anyone tell me if the original distributor cap fit the british unit?

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

Sorry, I don't have the info you want, but I put an L-series EI dizzy on my E1.  About 12 posts down the page.....  

Mike K knows his stuff. I put a remote-ECM EI dizzy (from 78 L20B) with GM module on my E1 bout 8 years ago and hasn't missed a beat; dirvin' it today haulin-the-mail !!

• Like 1

It looks like an MGB/MG Midget distributor and they will bolt into the E1/J13-15 block, I have heard others have had issues with the aftermarket versions, I could not get the Accuspark version to work in my U320, the engine would not start/run, I did my best to freshen up the stock distributor and it fired right up.

Also I used a stock Lucus MG Midget distributor in my 1963 Datsun 320 kingcab I built that is positive ground truck with a Crane ignition system wired positive ground, it has never started better, but it is an aftermarket Crane ignition system made to be wired either way.

Yes I did get the Pertronix 1741 to work in the 1963 Datsun 320, but I smoked 2 units by accidently double clicking the power wire, I was using an alligator clip on the battery at the time instead of wiring it into the ignition/key, they are not cheap units so I gave up on that, I had to drill a hole in the Pertronix 1741 unit which voided the warranty, I accidently figured out the MG Miget distributor would bolt into the Datsun E1 block when I removed the distributor to scrap out the MG block, it was just luck that I had just removed the matchbox from the E1 block to see if it started easier with it over the stock distributor, it started way easier.

It is not that hard to remove the L block drive key and replace it with the E1/J13 block drive key to use the Matchbox in your E1/J13-15 block as long as you have a negative ground truck.

• Like 1

So I ended up going with the Pertronix MG Midget distributor  175 bucks. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CMT6JQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Bolted right in and turned over instantly.

They also make a positive ground version for 275

Super easy install

Thanks everyone for the replies

340773230_1477835162960795_3589086145983601126_n.jpg

Edited by 22350
  • Like 2
On 4/16/2023 at 9:37 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I was gonna say...I don't think 1741 is right for an MG distributor.

But you've got it figured out already.

I do not know if it was right for a MG distributor, but I know it is not right for a stock Datsun 320 distributor, I had to drill the Pertronix 1741 unit which voided the warranty to mount it, and you have to be accurate because the gap between the magnets and sensor is tight, too close or too far away and it might have not worked properly, I still have that distributor with the last smoked Pertronix 1741 unit still mounted in it, it ran fine as far as I could tell with that unit, but after I smoked the second one I decided to not take the chance anymore, they were expensive unless you found them at swap meets.

• Like 1

I'm going to go ahead and buy a Accuspark 25D4 positive earth distibuter for my E1. As far as I can tell its interchangable with the Petronix D176600.

My question is, how do you attach the vacuum advance line to the distributer bellows?

In 22350 post it looks as though theres a plastic adapter between the threaded copper pipe and the slip on fitting on the distributer body. Where do I get one or is it supplied with the new distributer?

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1