Sketchy 620KC in Northern Idaho

https://lewiston.craigslist.org/for/d/grangeville-78-datsun-pickup-620-parts/7604742570.html

I don't like vehicles without titles; it's sketchy. I have heard many stories about, how it is no problem and "bill of sale" and all that, but I don't like it and have passed on "deals" because of no title. Additionally, I do not know the seller and it is in Northern Idaho, I am in Southern. Engage with this seller/opportunity at you own risk.

These caveats are necessary, because I don't like vehicles without titles and would research the hell out of this

No that's out of the way, HOLY COW, a running 620KC $1650!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people that own an old car, don't want to go thru the known hassles of getting a title, if they never registered it.  Many family members of a deceased family member (or incapacitated) are not aware how easy it is to get a COPY of a title, in most states.  I believe the legal executor of an estate has that ability.  Some people buy without title, thinking they can easily get one, then come to find out the hassles..................so they try to off it.  I think most states have a process, although many are difficult & cumbersome.  Here in Colorado, we must create a "bond" with the state, which is kinda like an insurance policy.  In the period of the bond, if the previous owner steps forward, they can claim the vehicle.  The bond protects the current owner & the state from it having been a criminal/dirty act of ownership.  A local buddy just successfully did the "Vermont title trick", by submitting their required paperwork, getting a title (510 had a vin # but no CO paper title).  Now he needs to have the car vin inspected by the state & he gets a CO title.  When I buy a car (Datsun) without a title, I am ultimately buying as a parts car, as I don't want to go thru the hassles of the CO bonding process..............

When I joined Ratsun, a few years ago, all I wanted was a KC 620 w/L20B. I found one in Portland for right around this price on Craigslist and all was good. I bought a plane ticket, pulled the money out of the bank, called my insurance and the Portland DMV for the necessary paperwork to be covered on the drive home (and to make sure I had roadside assist, if something major broke on the 8hr drive) During this process, the night before the flight, I learn the name on the title and the name of the seller/registration are not the same, but he gives me the contact info for the guy on the title, he is in Washington. But the car is registered to the seller in Oregon. I contact the title holder and tells me that he sold the truck and wants nothing more to do with it. Portland DMV says seller must bring title signed by guy on title, which seller had, apply for title transfer and pay Oregon tax, then in 3 to 4 weeks seller will receive a title in sellers name and he can sign that title over to me, then I registrar the truck in Idaho,  apply for an Idaho title in my name and pay tax. Seller ain't doing that, wants me to take the signed WA title to Idaho and leave him out of it. Apparently, this is common and a potential felony, likely misdemeanor, called "skip titling".

I cursed seller, plane ticket was non refundable, seller cursed me for not having any "balls" he said these types of sales happen all the time. Trucks without titles are sketchy.

• Like 1

My last untitled vehicle was a gift from a friend. The title was with a dysfunctional junkie. So since the price was right I went through a title company. The vehicle sat on my property for 45 days, they ran the ads in the local papers as required by law and there were no claims so the vehicle was mine by default. Cost $400.

• Like 2

I've always transferred vehicles into my name,because it's the

"Right thing to do".

I bought a '68 Ford Cortina out  of the Redding (CA) area.I had

to track down (or attempt to) the last 9 people,who hadn't completed

registration,but I did get it done.

Also,when I went to pick up the car,the seller gave me a price which

was 4100 more than he'd agreed on,but I met him 1/2 way between the

two prices,just in case I needed his help down the road,which I did.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know about Idaho, but some communist states like Florida encourage the scrapping of old vehicles due to their BS laws. In shithole Florida the title fee is $90. If you as the registered owner losses your title, the replacement fee is $90. You can see how old low value vehicles get sold/parted out/scrapped in Florida. Who's going to pay $90 & waste time to replace a lost title on a vehicle that dies and gets given away or sold cheap. In California, it's not too hard to get a title for an old vehicle that doesn't have one. In Florida, you have to hire a lawyer and go in front of a judge. It would probably cost $1000s. 

I'd have no issue buying a cheap vehicle without a title, as long as it's not stolen. People die and many heirs aren't going to go through the nonsense to acquire titles for old junk vehicles. Luckily there's inexpensive and legal loopholes to get titles for old vehicles.

There's nothing illegal or immoral about buying or selling vehicles that are not titled in your name, unless you're a dealer or an under the table unlicensed dealer. As long as the seller discloses that the vehicle is not titled to them, it's up to the seller to buy or pass. It's not hard to call the DMV in any state and figure out what it takes to get a vehicle titled into your name. 

Edited by SWFL
  • Like 1
On 4/3/2023 at 10:32 PM, bottomwatcher said:

My last untitled vehicle was a gift from a friend. The title was with a dysfunctional junkie. So since the price was right I went through a title company. The vehicle sat on my property for 45 days, they ran the ads in the local papers as required by law and there were no claims so the vehicle was mine by default. Cost $400.

SWFL this was in Florida. You can do it yourself as long as the vehicle is on your property. You have to prove you tried to contact the owner. Run adds in the local classifieds (How antiquidated is that?) and it has to sit on your property 45 days. I see services do this for as low as $250. If they are licensed and bonded I just go through them. Get the title and move on. 

• Like 1