'73 240z - Project Build

demo243

There is another carb options too…

I find one more Mikuni Phh 44 and steal those from the 510 and put them on the Z, and then experiment with HSRs on the 510 where they may be better suited due to bigger cylinder volume. Hate to mess with that right now though.

• Like 1
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, demo243 said:

There is another carb options too…

I find one more Mikuni Phh 44 and steal those from the 510 and put them on the Z, and then experiment with HSRs on the 510 where they may be better suited due to bigger cylinder volume. Hate to mess with that right now though.

Personally I'd rather go efi if I had to choose ....

Been debating it on my 521. The easiest is the self tuning sniper units, but even holley said there has been limited attempts using them as a side draft with questionable results..... 

So while I wanna keep my setup I'm thinking about making an adapter to bolt to my lynx intake up to Rochester style adapter plate that would except the Rochester pattern sniper unit... they actually have 2 different throttle bores... one bigger one smaller than the 2300 flange sniper unit..... I have an idea for the connection tube but it need a little more information  for that... probably some money might help too...

2 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Have you considered something like a megasquirt?

I know these guys offer one set up for an L6.

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/ems

Without taking over demos thread yes.... but it's over my head programming wise I'd prefer the self tuning.... 

Plus i believe the money needed goes up...

I need to see what my idea would cost vs a single side draft maybe 45mm with megasquirt ( currently have single 40 weber on a lynx intake) orherwise I'd have to get a new manifold and put duals on it.... 

With building my own adapter I can do the sniper for about 1600 and the Rochester has a similar bore size to the 45mm....

By all means derail it with efi/electronic ignition stuff it’s all useful information. I wouldn’t mind doing some sort of crank trigger ignition like on the 510.

My thought is if I’m sticking with an L engine I want to keep it simple and carb’ed, as I am not going for all out power- obviously after more power but not going down the $10k+ build rabbit hole…

From what I’ve seen for the price of most efi conversions I might as well just pick up and RB20 and kill that bird and the power bird with one stone.

But to stick with carbs and an L engine keep it a bit more “classic”.

I am rambling and musing here since I’m still not sure what direction I want to go.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, demo243 said:

By all means derail it with efi/electronic ignition stuff it’s all useful information. I wouldn’t mind doing some sort of crank trigger ignition like on the 510.

My thought is if I’m sticking with an L engine I want to keep it simple and carb’ed, as I am not going for all out power- obviously after more power but not going down the $10k+ build rabbit hole…

From what I’ve seen for the price of most efi conversions I might as well just pick up and RB20 and kill that bird and the power bird with one stone.

But to stick with carbs and an L engine keep it a bit more “classic”.

I am rambling and musing here since I’m still not sure what direction I want to go.

You kind of hit on my problem... I already live in the rabbit hole with my engine.... the 123 wasnt cheap... and I spent way to much modifying my engine already..... I feel it has more potential waiting.... 

So for me engine swaps are out.... 

The sniper is just enough to add efi and not waste money on features I wont use.... I just wish they made a side draft unit.... 

If money was no issue I'd go for those jenvy efi weber clones....

Keep all the look of old school with efi hidden inside.....

Screenshot_20231025-133741_DuckDuckGo.jpg

39 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

You kind of hit on my problem... I already live in the rabbit hole with my engine.... the 123 wasnt cheap... and I spent way to much modifying my engine already..... I feel it has more potential waiting.... 

So for me engine swaps are out.... 

The sniper is just enough to add efi and not waste money on features I wont use.... I just wish they made a side draft unit.... 

If money was no issue I'd go for those jenvy efi weber clones....

Keep all the look of old school with efi hidden inside.....

Screenshot_20231025-133741_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I was just reading about those - if I recall people were saying the angles were all bad and that as a unit they were pretty poor- ie might as well just stick with a Weber 

27 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Carbs sound better. Unless throttle body EFI

Would definitely be ITBs if I went with and efi conversion 

But yea … unless engine swapped I feel like a 240 should just have carbs

• Like 1
2 hours ago, demo243 said:

Would definitely be ITBs if I went with and efi conversion 

Yeah, this post was actually aimed at you, not Crashtd420.  😁

5 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Have you considered something like a megasquirt?

I know these guys offer one set up for an L6.

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/ems

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Good to know.... I am surprised because they are not cheap....

They are probably “fine” but for all out performance you are better going with  the other itbs bodies.

I have also read far to much in the last couple days/weeks and it all gets jumbled up.

As for the itb/efi cost- 

Just did a quick look on Godzilla and to make it as “bolt on + ready to run” as possible- ie their complete itb kit and mega squirt efi kit is $7k!  Thats RB25 territory on ebay! With turbo and trans!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285474216060?hash=item427796d87c:g:kRYAAOSwclVlAxGP&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4IalkdHRxYkneEubOU0SaUhWiJghIsSQe5sFdw7qATbakoSokNSDc6UPYXLKj2RMMeIhM3zDO5erykOAAlDjm%2BzxgkNkxLdhPJD0iRV6LKlXBDlCUWBFgfkXsDt8ecI0wqWPsLHfSBsCLBJPa3wbDD%2FbvIXHLqs3H11rW8zNH1H30J4XTYj8TDFiUdPdUDokZ%2BhnIvIH2JmhEeYjupE%2FmdT4%2FgK7PJL1X0ptHDOBfS6zGGnp%2Fvl5fvctNir%2F4Me4n5akxG2N4fhEWSVx32cZg1TT4iOB%2B37UmgOwsyCW1hVe|tkp%3ABk9SR9DGvZHtYg

I know first hand there is more involved with a swap … so the cost goes up… but damn that really gets you thinking 🤔 

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, demo243 said:

I know first hand there is more involved with a swap … so the cost goes up… but damn that really gets you thinking 🤔 

We both know firsthand that a well done engine swap can often cost double whatever the engine itself cost. 😋

Yeah, the cool L-series EFI bits are super expensive, but I don't think swapping to a completely different engine that was never sold in the US can really be cost-equivalent, right?

The RB is pretty damn cool, though...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

We both know firsthand that a well done engine swap can often cost double whatever the engine itself cost. 😋

Yeah, the cool L-series EFI bits are super expensive, but I don't think swapping to a completely different engine that was never sold in the US can really be cost-equivalent, right?

The RB is pretty damn cool, though...

Cost equivalent… yea not really. But power for your $$ and cool factor - definitely hard to ignore. If I was to spend that much on efi bits then now you might as well build a race engine to suit them… and now you are double the price so yea an RB starts looking really nice.

With all that said- I don’t need or want all that power. It just makes for a car that’s not so fun to drive since you are at nearly felony speeds in seconds.

• Like 1

Ran up to Oreilly this morning hoping to grab some filters but they didn’t have anything I liked…

Grabbed a new LED flasher which seems to have fixed that problem so I guess the other one just went bad.

Car drove fine this morning- no issues. So my guess is something in the fuel system.

Going to replace the filters and plan on doing the pump and adding a regulator as well.

With that said - I think I’m going to go with a set of OER sidedrafts- the price is just to hard to beat vs any of the other options. So I will probably hold off and do all the fuel stuff at the same time.

Now to decide -OER jets or Weber jets; I don’t plan on fiddling with it much so the availability of Weber jets doesn’t make that much of a difference. Shipping from Japan is pretty reasonable too given most places in the US charge $15+ for shipping too.

I am planning on 45s with likely 36 chokes and a wire pull linkage. For 462cc per cylinder Weber recommends 36’s. I can always drop down to 34’s if need be. 45s will “future proof” them for any down the road mods- ie cam and slight bump in comp. Just need to figure out a base jetting estimate so I can order some spares for tuning. Hard part is everyone has an opinion and most people I don’t think actually know what they are talking about… I’ve heard if you order through RHDJapan you can email OER with the order number and they will jet them to spec- so I may try and reach out to them for a baseline so I can order carbs and extra jets at the same time

• Like 2
3 hours ago, demo243 said:

With all that said- I don’t need or want all that power. It just makes for a car that’s not so fun to drive since you are at nearly felony speeds in seconds.

This is honestly where I am at now. Making a car that fast, sort of makes it less fun...

You could always do a KA24DE?  😁

24 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

This is honestly where I am at now. Making a car that fast, sort of makes it less fun...

You could always do a KA24DE?  😁

Id bet the KA in my 510 has more power! Feels faster at least, but it also has a very different gear ratio.

KAs are hard to find now too… damn they are getting expensive.

Z needs a straight 6 though…

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

The sound is definitely hard to beat. 😈

I'm going KA to cut down total weight, and to move some weight more to the middle. 

KA is a great engine. Tons of torque. Same size as the original engine in a 240 too. 

I wont lie- I’ve thought about pulling the carbs and turbo’ing mine. But every time I drive it I just can’t resist the siren song of sidedrafts!!

If I ended up with another 510 I was probably going to CA18Det it- turbo and mini RB 🤣

Do you have a wide band? It's the best way to know your air fuel at any rpm or load. I have R-1s on my L20B and popular wisdom says to increase the jet size which I did. The air ratio was 9.6 which was probably as low as it would read. At full throttle you could see black smoke out the window. I bought under size jets for motorcycle (20 or 30 jets for $15) and drilled them out to make larger. Took me three sets to get back almost to what the stock R-1s were. Should have left them alone probably. Heavy throttle in the top 12s, cruise mid throttle 14s and idle 14.7. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Do you have a wide band? It's the best way to know your air fuel at any rpm or load. I have R-1s on my L20B and popular wisdom says to increase the jet size which I did. The air ratio was 9.6 which was probably as low as it would read. At full throttle you could see black smoke out the window. I bought under size jets for motorcycle (20 or 30 jets for $15) and drilled them out to make larger. Took me three sets to get back almost to what the stock R-1s were. Should have left them alone probably. Heavy throttle in the top 12s, cruise mid throttle 14s and idle 14.7. 

I do have a wideband.

What’s the throat size on those R1s?

I’m still dreaming about Moto carbs. Was reading about the Mikuni rs40s and it sounds like they have issues with the slides sticking under vacuum. Which is a bummer. The fact that they come in a rack of 4 should in theory make it easier to make a rack of 6. I just figure if 2 HSR 45s and fuel an l28 then 6 HSR42s will be too much on the stock engine

1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

Damn, now you got me thinking. These are still about half the price of an SR, and probably 50+ pounds lighter than a KA24DE...  😋

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364073828936

They are definitely cool little buzzy engines. Aftermarket support especially in the US isn’t huge… but it’s there.

I still really want to swap one into a 510… but need to find another one and convince the wife to let me buy it 😂😂😂