Steering Box Rebuild

SWFL

Are new critical parts available for Datsun steering boxes, both manual and power, like the sector and worm gears? Anybody have experiences with the big rebuilders like Cardone and Lares? Do the power steering boxes accumulate less internal wear than manual boxes, because they have to have power steering oil in order to function, so they tend to not be used without oil.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I use https://redheadsteeringgears.com/  for all of my steering box rebuilding. It might be worth a call to them to see what they can do for you. Their normal charge to rebuild a power box is around $400. I imagine a manual box would cost a lot less.

Redhead Gear is the only "rebuilder" that I know of that rebuilds the stock 510 manual steering box CORRECTLY!  (PS all 68-73 510's are manual, never power)  I think they are at least $400, but really the only way to get it done properly.  All of the other cheaper (sometimes MUCH cheaper) "rebuilders" that I have seen, basically disassemble, clean, reseal & spray bomb to look good............they do NOT properly address the common wear on the worm gear.  That wear is always in the middle, cuz that is where the mileage racks up...........you are typically driving basically straight, thus the wear is in the middle.

I just sold Redhead qty 6 CORES, so they have spare parts or a core to rebuild for you!

The problem with tightening the adjuster screw (right there on top) is that when you tighten it "in the middle" to where it feels tight again, you then will have the lock to lock TOO TIGHT & you loose the cars natural "return to center"..................you will be able to let go of the steering wheel at full lock (right or left) & it will remain there!  NOT an ideal situation!

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, yenpit said:

Redhead Gear is the only "rebuilder" that I know of that rebuilds the stock 510 manual steering box CORRECTLY!  (PS all 68-73 510's are manual, never power)  I think they are at least $400, but really the only way to get it done properly.  All of the other cheaper (sometimes MUCH cheaper) "rebuilders" that I have seen, basically disassemble, clean, reseal & spray bomb to look good............they do NOT properly address the common wear on the worm gear.  That wear is always in the middle, cuz that is where the mileage racks up...........you are typically driving basically straight, thus the wear is in the middle.

I just sold Redhead qty 6 CORES, so they have spare parts or a core to rebuild for you!

The problem with tightening the adjuster screw (right there on top) is that when you tighten it "in the middle" to where it feels tight again, you then will have the lock to lock TOO TIGHT & you loose the cars natural "return to center"..................you will be able to let go of the steering wheel at full lock (right or left) & it will remain there!  NOT an ideal situation!

Do you know if they use new worm and sector gears, or refurbish old worn ones with a process like metal spraying? I'd think making new ones would be crazy expensive, even if done overseas.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, SWFL said:

Do you know if they use new worm and sector gears, or refurbish old worn ones with a process like metal spraying? I'd think making new ones would be crazy expensive, even if done overseas.

I'm not aware of any NOS (new old stock) internal parts for the 510 steering box.  Daniel at Redhead (I'm sure the others too) is a nice guy!  Give him a call!  Correct, not likely cost effective to reproduce............that is ALWAYS the issue with classic cars!

TJ

• Like 1

We're talking 620 steering boxes.... right? The sector shaft is the same as the 521 and so are the two bearings on the worm gear.

The worm gear is only used on the 620 and is probably different to the 521 by length to the steering wheel.

• Like 1

From my dealings with Redhead, if they are rebuilding a not-so-common box, they tend to rely on a supply of good-used parts. I really doubt they are using new gears in the Datsun boxes, but I do know they will give you a call to discuss if a problem comes up.

One thing they do do is use microscopically larger bearings, which take up slack caused by years of use. You can't simply purchase those bearings, but they have them on the shelf.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

We're talking 620 steering boxes.... right? The sector shaft is the same as the 521 and so are the two bearings on the worm gear.

The worm gear is only used on the 620 and is probably different to the 521 by length to the steering wheel.

See how much I pay attention!!?? 😂  I would assume that Redhead offers the same service on the 620 steering box.............they might not have as many CORES as the 510, if there is a damaged part that needs replacing!

• Like 1