Engine juddery, loss of horsepower.

None_zero

16 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I think time for another pump. Get something that produces 3-4 PSI.

Ok so I have this holley mighty mite 2b1lNnF.jpg

Part number 12-427. It's specs are 4-7 psi 32 gph I know it's not ideal but until I can get one shipped it's gotta be better than a leaking one

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also have some fuel line so i'm going to replace the section between the hard line and the port feeding the carb through the needle valve I'll go on rockauto and order the right pump I still need to get that accelerator cable anyways.. I'm trying to think if I need anything else. Although I guess they don't have free shipping on larger orders since they ship everything from different locations and charge separate shipping on everything.

Edited by None_zero

Just so I know what it was. I'm trying to figure out what this part number is XB3HndE.jpg

But I can't make it out. Best I can tell there are 3 lines of numbers 

Line one CH-1185

Line two ??-?235

Line three ?3716 or 46....

I've tried searching the number but got nothing. There are several options on rockauto listed for the z20 not all of them give a psi rating but they range from 4 psi to 8.7 psi and one doesn't give a psi just a gph of 76. Why do they have such a wide range for just 2 liter engine --- ok some of that I misread, I'm not even really ashamed that I didn't know what a pferdstark was. 

Edited by None_zero
Additional info
Just now, datzenmike said:

Just make sure this wire is unplugged....

Xla5VTk.jpg

I see perhaps where the confusion came from. I see the plug I disconnected there but there is more going on than that. So you just meant disconnect it at the carb?not the plastic connector?

Ok that's my bad PpqI9fN.jpg

The line coming out of this where the blue red and white wires are is disconnected. And has been since yesterday when I looked earlier I was pulled off in a church parking lot with people sweating me thinking I was up to something and I saw the ground wire connected to the tab by vac advance valve and thought "the wire to the distributor" was connected.

3 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I just read that that Holley will work,says it's noisy on start up.I have been using the stock one's 17020-10W00 in mine,nothing else.I have a brand new spare.It is now showing that Nissan is out of them. Mike just showed one Holley.

This is accurate. It is much louder than the other one and if I had the lower psi version it probably would be a great replacement but I got the mighty might or whatever it's called and it is effecting the way the truck is running a little bit 

Advanced didn't have anything im at O'Reilly they have an edelbrock 2-3.5 psi I guess that's not gonna work either..... after talking to the guy at orielly he got one from the back it's a precision E16010 rates 2.3- 9 psi he says it's self regulating what does that mean?

Edited by None_zero

Edelbrock 3.5 is fine!!! the stock pump is 3-4 PSI. If it puts out 9 PSI that's 3 times what you need!!! The problem of too much pressure is it will force it's way into the float chamber and flood. This is what we are trying to avoid. Take it back.

Self regulating means the pump sets it's own pressure and maintains it, or tries to. You won't need an external regulator.

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Edelbrock 3.5 is fine!!! the stock pump is 3-4 PSI. If it puts out 9 PSI that's 3 times what you need!!! The problem of too much pressure is it will force it's way into the float chamber and flood. This is what we are trying to avoid. Take it back.

Self regulating means the pump sets it's own pressure and maintains it, or tries to. You won't need an external regulator.

Crap. I guess I'm not understanding something here. If 2-3.5 is ok but 4- 7 not ok. Why does it have a range anyway. I am trying to educate myself Screenshot_20230224-185848_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5653463b78b246e19a471905df6df945.jpgaccording to this the regulator should stop it flooding.. help me understand what this means please 

The stock electric fuel pump pushes the gas with 2.7 to 3.4 pounds of pressure. This is what the float in the carburetor expects to get. Running anything higher risks the fuel being forced into the float chamber past the needle valve filling it and flooding.