Engine juddery, loss of horsepower.

None_zero

Did you look at the small round glass on front of the carburetor. Was the gas level showing in the middle. Don't remember you saying.

Did you look down the carburetor with it idling? Was there any gas dripping? Use a flash light for both.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@datzenmikeI am unsure what you mean by small round glass on front of carburetor. If this is there I have never seen it and I've been all over that carburetor. I didn't look down it yet either it just started happening today and I posted about it while I was gassing it back up so I figured I'd wait for the advice first instead of my normal thing where I ask then just start doing stuff and by the time I see the answer the conditions are likely changed lol. I've been trying to solve this issue in one form or another for over a year and I've basically made zero progress. This last time when I stopped doing what I think might help and only did what you said. It ran better than it has in a long time for the last few days. Though gas mileage was only improved marginally I think. So I'm trying to stick to the ask-listen-then do model. **I assume since you made no mention of oil pressure or level that this likely a non factor?

Oh yeah the other thing you didn't mention was the squealing belt. This belt of course only goes around the alternator the crank and the waterpump/fan. It has done this before where it sqeals and eats belts every couple weeks. Maybe I'm way off base. But I'm thinking the fan is spinning and the crank is obviously turning ifnits running so could the alternator be the thing resisting the spin and possibly lowered voltage output cause the choke to be irregular. I'm gonna check the stuff you said but I'm just wondering if this thought is absolutely wrong or highly improbable..   I tried many things to fix that belt issue but nothing worked and eventually it just quit doing it. I hate to belabor the point (this is a lie, belaboring a point is like #3 on my list of favorite things) but, I had a coolant leak from the line that goes off of the main intake back under the carburetor and water was coming out right next to the alternator the rusty discoloration from it is still there but I wonder if this could have done something to the alternator. And now I'm going to check again for a glass thing or dripping gas sorry for the tangent 

Edited by None_zero
3 minutes ago, None_zero said:

Ok yes gas is dripping down the carb and the choke is open. I'm still stumped on this round glass. Can you show me?

Well, there's your mileage problem and likely the fouled plugs and poor running.

NOS Nikki Carburetor Datsun Nissan Small Window | eBay

There should be a round glass window on the front of the carburetor. The dot indicates the correct fuel level. If yours is dripping inside than it's over filling.

36 minutes ago, None_zero said:

Oh yeah the other thing you didn't mention was the squealing belt. 

Loosen the belt and spin the water pump and the alternator by hand. One is likely seized. Replace it.

Fix the flooding carburetor first.

Ok now I see why I can't find the round glass. Mine is just a solid plate right there that appears to be leaking a bit around the bottom edge. I guess I need to read the photo bucket instructions again so I can send pictures, also.. how does one fix a flooding carb? Is it possible my inline fuel pump back by the tank has too high a flow maybe?

Edited by None_zero

Op2hmPA.jpeg

Well I have never seen one without the sight glass. How would you set the float height? Put some rags under the front to catch the gas and remove the cover. Have a care as there is a small brass part on the end of the float hinge and against that cover. The rag should catch it. Have a look and post a picture.

If it's the original pump it's fine. If it was replaced it may be too high a pressure. It's on the outside of the frame just forward of the right rear tire and should look like this...

P70235 E8318 Electric Fuel Pump Fit for Nissan 720 Pickup 17020-10W00 USA |  eBay

Possibly the float is set incorrectly or the needle valve above the float has debris caught in it and it can't close

Ok I can tell you right off the bat. That's not the fuel pump I have. I've got three different pumps one that was on it when I bought it. Another that's identical to that one except new and shipped from China. And a third which I think is a holley I got at advanced. Before I pull the plate off the carb though I want to be sure you meant is their gas dripping down the carburetor while it is running?  (I replaced the one that was on it when I bought it some time ago thinking I'd got the wrong replacement and after testing it to make sure it still worked )   when I ordered the identical one I was going off of the old one for visual reference since I didn't know any of the specs on it but I don't remember now what the specs were on the new one either. At least with the holley I can probably look it up. But the other two are almost completely devoid of markings. The only thing on there is stamped the word "out" to indicate direction of flow and a "+" to indicate the positive lead

Edited by None_zero

hFEaCiL.jpg

Here is what I recovered from inside unfortunately I didn't see where the thing in the center was before it fell out of place so I'll need help getting that back where it goes.... actually I just realized I have a picture of it 😅 

Edited by None_zero

As far as I can tell the float seems good solid so can't be filling with fuel. The piece that looks like a tiny plumb Bob is relatively clean and the small collar doesn't seem fouled either, there is some sediment in the recess all that goes into which is the same rusty residue that builds up in the filter from the tank but it's not that bad 

Edited by None_zero

aRe2oGo.jpg

Not the stock pump so it's unknown what the output pressure is.

Tg7MLgM.jpg

So this is a replacement carburetor? Unfortunately there are a lot of really cheap Chinese knock off replacements out there.

Use a pencil to gently lift the float up and close the needle valve. The top of the float should be horizontal.

5 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

aRe2oGo.jpg

Not the stock pump so it's unknown what the output pressure is.

Tg7MLgM.jpg

So this is a replacement carburetor? Unfortunately there are a lot of really cheap Chinese knock off replacements out there.

Use a pencil to gently lift the float up and close the needle valve. The top of the float should be horizontal.

Ok so i removed it but I've put it back in. Just to be sure the little wire goes under the metal tab that the needle valve rests on correct? I'll photo it hang on