Engine juddery, loss of horsepower.

None_zero

Yes I did remove the oil pump and I always had it at 5° btdc it's just that 5° used to be in the middle and now it's at the far end.... oh I see the confusion when I say the adjustment range here. I'm not talking about on the fly wheel. That stays on the same mark. But at a certain point without adjusting the timing (maybe around the time or shortly after I had the oil pump out, is possible) the timing changed and was way off and so I put it back to 5° except now the distributor has to be turned as far as it will go clockwise to be at 5° the slotted adjustment on the distributor is the adjustment range I'm referring to

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure the oil pump went back in just fine though I followed your instructions to the letter. I was trying to find that in my history but it may be on my other profile. I have two profiles because I forgot the login for the first one and made a second one 

So what does that mean? Because I'm pretty sure based on the rpms rising when I depress the clutch that the exhaust side plugs do function at least some of the time... I have a brand new ignition coil around here somewhere I could swap that if it's just a bad coil but that doesn't make sense to me

Little side question. When I tested the intake side and it was sparking I had a hold of it by the rubber boot and it was giving me a little jolt in the hand even through my dinosaur punching gloves Wpm8JNm.jpgwhich I thought were insulated against electrical shock... is that normal?

That's good news as there is a function that shuts off the exhaust side plugs and that can be turned off.

Xla5VTk.jpg

Notice the three wires with round lugs on the ends?? See farther back there is a plug with a white or gray wire? Unplug this wire on your distributor and hopefully the tach will work full time.

No you shouldn't get a shock touching the ignition wires but it is possible. Don't change anything or you are adding more possible faults. If we get the ignition working there's no sense. Anything not working has to be proven non working first.

Ok got it. I'll unplug that plug, we've done this before in relation to a different problem but I ended up hooking it back up I wanted to clean the spark plug end a bit and a spot on the block first just to be absolutely sure there is no spark and this isn't the result of bad contact but woman already took the kids to school so no helpers 😞

There is a function that turns off the exhaust side plugs (but could be the intake side if the two coil wires accidentally get swapped) This should only happen in higher gears and at full throttle so something is amiss here but unplugging that wire defeats this and both coil fire all the time.

On 2/18/2023 at 2:15 PM, datzenmike said:

Turning the mixture screw all the way in shuts off idle fuel the engine should quit.

Find this on the engine side of the carburetor...

Carb help... easy questions! - 510/1600 - Ratsun Forums

Take the rubber plug out of the center and turn the screw inside counter clockwise one or two turns, keep track so you can put it back later if this does not help.

Did you ever try turning the BCDD counter clockwise? This can mess with the return to idle if set too sensitive.

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Did you ever try turning the BCDD counter clockwise? This can mess with the return to idle if set too sensitive.

You mean the part on the engine side of the carburetor you pictured for adjusting the running mix? If so then no

Edited by None_zero

Do you want me to do that now? Also I'm getting no change from idle mixture screw.

Or I should say no normal change it idles the highest turned clockwise all the way in until it stops. And backing it out there is a noticeable slow down about every full turn

So after getting the highest idle (even though it's with the screw all the way in) and setting the rpms I double checked the timing. And it was a tad low so I went to adjust it and the timing light looks like Morse code. It's not a steady continuous flash. Just thought that might bear mentioning and when I cut engine off it dieseled for nearly a full minute and then shot a puff of smoke/vapor out of the top of the carb

Edited by None_zero