Old WIX vs. New China made WIX and ZDDP oil levels

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well fiddlesticks. I have been using Wix on the 411. It seems to me I ran across an OEM # at Solvang this year that may still be available through Nissan. I think the # is 15208-H8920. Filters for the A and L motors that I have are still available OEM.

Almost makes me wish I still had that job, almost.

• Like 2

I don't really see a big loss or even a small loss of defectiveness here. I switched to WIX after the local Canadian Tire changed to China for there manufacture.

There are only one or two styles (maybe more now but obviously different) I select the one for my L20B then compare the ends, mostly the rubber seal position, the threads are all the same, and select a larger (longer) one for Ford 300 IL six, 318 or SBC. These hold more oil and they are up to half the price. 

I have no intention of not using the new WIX. I would have if I hadn't seen this video and saw the label on the box. Would like to see how well that 'thinner' filter medium works.

To me its just that they moved production at all and that it moved to China.

I'm a believer of the ABC doctrine meaning Anywhere but China.

I also think that most of the offshoring done isn't because the US production isn't making money its because they can make more by offshoring.

Let's hope they keep the quality level the same.

• Like 3

Well to a point you can filter out most by NOT using anything from Amazon or WallMart. Stick to main auto parts vendors like NAPA. They should know their suppliers source and the correct ones.

Anyone remember the Iran Hostage event? Dragged on for months. The US sent is 8 helicopters (Operation Eagle Claw*) and special forces troops but two of them broke down in the desert and a third one was deemed unfit for use... the mission was scrubbed. Turned out that some simple critical parts were counterfeit. After that the military tightened up it's parts supply chain.

*Eagles have talons. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Well to a point you can filter out most by NOT using anything from Amazon or WallMart. Stick to main auto parts vendors like NAPA. They should know their suppliers source and the correct ones.

Anyone remember the Iran Hostage event? Dragged on for months. The US sent is 8 helicopters (Operation Eagle Claw*) and special forces troops but two of them broke down in the desert and a third one was deemed unfit for use... the mission was scrubbed. Turned out that some simple critical parts were counterfeit. After that the military tightened up it's parts supply chain.

*Eagles have talons. 

That Iran thing was a lot longer than months.444 days.

• Haha 1
  • datzenmike changed the title to Old WIX vs. New China made WIX and ZDDP oil levels

I'm hearing that Rotella has reduced ZDDP levels mandated now but will keep checking. This video is a year old. ZDDP levels over 1,000 should be fine for old Datsuns. Most regular oils are under 800 so I wouldn't buy them.