Best Way to Restore Blackout Aluminum Trim?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will have to look for pictures but in ( i think 2015?) my son took almost head-on collision in his 85 against an brand new ford fiesta and the fiesta was completely crushed with front wheel being ripped off.  Celica still holds water in radiator 7(?) years later, and only sent his girlfriend at the time,, to doctors to make sure,, not because she was hurt..   She was riding on passenger side that took most of the hit. 

fiesta was in drive thru and shot straight out into traffic without looking. 

.i would say they are pretty safe in wreck and not "fast" but big enough engine to not have to shift down going up hills. 

because NADA valued it at $2490. even with 250k miles,,   he bought his red one ( in picture) with insurance payout from clown shoe driver.

Edited by bananahamuck
i literally edited the living shit outta this post ,, YO
17 hours ago, Skib said:

I'm willing to bet its not aluminum , its stainless.

you need to either wrap it or pull it all, have it blasted and powder coated. 

stainless does not hold paint for shit.

We aluminum oxide (aggressive media) media blast all aluminum & stainless that we plan to paint or powdercoat...........both need a "tooth" (rough surface) to adhere.  Problem then is you have much more work to go back & polish, if you or the next owner want to go back.  If you do not media blast, the good part is the paint or powdercoat should come off relatively easily & less effort to polish back!

I have always compared the late 70's-80's "blackout" material to the PlastiDip that we have today.............maybe that is an option?  However, even with PlastiDip, I would suggest media blasting!

Our favorite aerosol paint for trim is SEM brand "Trim Black", which is a matte black & it lays out great, with proper surface prep!  Good luck with the project!

PS we just put the early "smiley" bumpers on a 1977 Celica & a few other street car mods.  The customer will tackle getting the car painted & detailed!

• Like 2