Cataracts. Anyone have this operation?

Until 6 months ago I was unaware of any problems with my eyes that couldn't be explained by natural aging. Have worn glasses all my life but was referred to a ophthalmologist. He was a dick. Hey, maybe me but I consider myself easy going. I kept pushing him for answers when he came off as I should be grateful for him even talking to me. His answers were vague like 'Oh you'll notice a big difference" like asking what another country is like but you have to go there to find out. I think he was even pissed off. Later gave me a slip of paper and told to take it to the front and he left the room, no goodbye. Poor bedside manner or my poor attitude, shrug. That's it, he ain't cutting into my eyes with a knife!!!!

Tried another recommended surgeon and she was fantastic. Anyway both lenses were removed and a corrective lens put in that gets rid of my glasses. I was extremely near sighted but not even 24 hours since the left was done and now I can read newsprint and books normally, but closer than 16" to a foot starts to blur. With glasses reading print was a struggle and I would hold closer and look over the glasses. When I got my right eye done 4 weeks ago I noticed the right side was much brighter than the left that was cloudy and not letting in as much light. The left is slightly blurry still but like I said only 24 hrs. and it takes several week for full healing and recovery. Brain has more to process and adjust to. 

Anyone else have this procedure? Happy with results?

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not myself but have several friends my age 60+ that have and all of them have been happy with the outcomes.

My last supervisor at work had it done, had thick coke bottle glasses and said it always looked foggy, afterwards no glasses and said he had near 20-20 vision.

Be patient let it heal.

Oh I will, and there's little choice anyway. The right has been done for 4 weeks now and I stopped wearing my glasses with the right lens missing the next day. This forces the brain to concentrate on the right and ignore the blurry left. I was able to read the second smallest print with the left eye. The smallest I had to figure out each letter and the number of them to guess at the word but again just 24 hours have gone by.

I was good with wearing glasses but I see that everything is slightly brighter. My keyboard is totally readable now. Computer screen is also much better with two eyes.

I had one eye done about 3 months ago, went with the new tri-focals, cause I hate glasses. They are great, high recommend them. I will get the other eye done when I finally get cataracts in it, the doctor says it will eventually happen, just a matter of time.

• Thanks 1

I know!! I grew up in a farm house with a wooden box on the wall. It had two bells on the top and a crank handle that would ring them. There was a ear piece on a cord that you held to your ear and a receiver you put your mouth to and spoke into. I had to stand on a chair or mom had to lift me up to reach it. About six people were on the same line and a code was used to know if it was for you. Ours was two long and a short ring and was almost never used. There really was no need other than an emergency. Today almost everyone has a phone they carry and use just about anywhere and with it has access to all human knowledge, literally, at their finger tips. Just amazing.

Replacement hips and knees, heart valves, cochlear implants to hear with, corrective eye implants. I agree it's amazing. Just got back from my one week check up. All good and healing fine. Next visit is next year.   

• Like 1