A caged VQ35 G-nose Z

Iv been slacking on updates.

Mario has been by to help with sanding and learning a few new things helping out some.

yfWvL1Q.jpg

V34OwvD.jpg

Got all the accent parts shot in satin black

VJH652I.jpg

and got the car in a "yard booth" lol and got the main bit of it shot....

P2LUfRG.jpg

FcnOADv.jpg

using a blue sealer

LIRGrOy.jpg

Uy6pHHQ.jpg

CsPBqui.jpg

T5CFtDF.jpg 

the ford area 51 blue is a bit of an off color. fresh out of the can and wet it is strait fuckin grey.

and in the shade it looks more grey.

but once its cleared and in the sun its blue.

• Like 7
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love the spray booth, we get so caught up at times with perfection, but spraying outside with gravel floor etc  Inspirational!  Makes me think I can do the truck cab hmm in the shed.

Colour looks good, that last pic reminds me to get some flares for the 620.

50 minutes ago, RyanC said:

Love the spray booth, we get so caught up at times with perfection, but spraying outside with gravel floor etc  Inspirational!  Makes me think I can do the truck cab hmm in the shed.

Colour looks good, that last pic reminds me to get some flares for the 620.

Sub $200 total from harbor freight lol

idk what the AU equivalent would be, but its like the place you get all the cheap as tarps or tools or random shit lol
like... whats cheaper than super cheap auto? 😂

Iv spent over a decade doing this shit professionally, and even in that sphere I am hyper critical of my work.

I basically hate everything Iv ever painted because nothing is ever good enough lol

And Iv done everything from GTO Judges, 57 Chevs, duce coupes, 50s Porsches, and thousands of insurance jobs...

but.... my OCD aside... it is 100% doable to do home paint jobs in the yard, that are nice as.

the painting is the easy part. The vitals are in the prep. 

When it comes to painting outside wind is your biggest problem.

I painted my 70 in the same spot with no cover and it was fine, and I have a fuck off amount of gum trees....

the act of painting is fucking easy. the easiest part.

what makes professionals is knowing how to fix the fuck ups and keep going without being a redo.

and fixing the fuck ups before they happen.

anyone can spray paint out of a gun nicely. 

people are always scared of paint and body. non of it is hard. it is not rocket science.

Its just endless tedious bullshit lol

Long as you shoot on a day with little to no wind and keep the tree shit and bugs out of it your gold, the dust and shit can be buffed out.

And if you want that flat glass paint its gotta be buffed no matter what.... no paint job comes out that way.

• Like 3

Totally agree with your comments, its all the prep, if you can see it in flat primer it will stand out like dogs balls when painted.

I did my 510 when I was 17, old man shot the paint but weeks of grind and bogg sand etc that was really our first crack, hardest thing was welding the thin metal was not something dad had or myself had done before but we got there in the end.  My 620 might get refreshed but will be a home shed job.

Looking mint with all the flares and trims on!!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, RyanC said:

Totally agree with your comments, its all the prep, if you can see it in flat primer it will stand out like dogs balls when painted.

I did my 510 when I was 17, old man shot the paint but weeks of grind and bogg sand etc that was really our first crack, hardest thing was welding the thin metal was not something dad had or myself had done before but we got there in the end.  My 620 might get refreshed but will be a home shed job.

Looking mint with all the flares and trims on!!

Finish bog in 120 before primer.

Knock it down with rougher grit but priming over 80 or more doesn't fill the scratches, only bridges them and will lead to failure.

Block primer in 400, and DA with a soft pad in 600 and your golden to shoot sealer and color with no issues.

• Like 2

Got the rest of the bits shot yesterday as the weather was rolling in.

Screenshot_20221107-190001_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e239a7198d828660c58fc7667166df66.jpg

Mario had this 3D printed emblem on the spoiler before and wanted to keep it, so I made him a little nicer one more suited to the new version of the car lol

1333404037_Screenshot_20221107-190041_PhotoEditor.thumb.jpg.2ed9c55eac2f7e460f244c2f3b6921c2.jpg

Last of the things going together and finishing up....

Screenshot_20221107-185928_Gallery.thumb.jpg.274bd3101bd63e032d95bc29154b69a6.jpg

And making some bumper brackets for the G nose front bumper.

Screenshot_20221107-190105_Gallery.thumb.jpg.15c56fe2937a6a942781d7752acdd0f4.jpg

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Looks great.

Makes me want to chop up my father in law's 60k mile original 240z.

I will say... there is a big difference in the factory nose parts and the aftermarket kits.

In design and quality. Specifically I had the Arita speed kit to compare it too.

They require a fuck ton of work to be nice strait well fitting parts... Im very glad I didnt have to fit that kit.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Soundline said:

Looks incredible, you using it to escape CA?

I’m kicking around the idea of doing a Pandem kit on my 620, how would you suggest dealing with the rivets?

This car is going back to its owner when I'm done, It belongs to a forum member.
lol I do have escape supplies.... I may need to dress like Snake Plissken sooner than later to do it though 🤣

Unless you intend to mold it into the body I wouldn't go about with rivets.

For stuff like the ZG flares I use riv-nuts and button head bolts

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

So good! Nice work man. 

Thanks man 👍 Its nice to see it done... and not in my yard lol

Unfortunately my Z is still in my yard lol. With the drivetrain ripped out.

Im going on a little artic circle expedition again lol so I prob wont get back to my Z till like... April?

I have a few other builds on deck too, like a mini cross kart lol 

• Like 2