Tell Me Fontana trucks didn't rock!!!

Steroid

This photo just surfaced in a collection that I am borrowing. As We are in the process of building the South West Datsun Pickups forum, We are hanging onto some very incredible photos now. Shortly, You will not be dissapointed!! But I just had to share this rare photo. I never did see this truck in person but knew about it. It was another So Cal Datsun Pickups club truck. This was the quality of what they allowed in Their club. The truck was owned by Rob Coates and was built by the legendary Vini Bergeman. If Vini's name sounds familiar, then it is because He IS Ultra. Ultra limosenes, Ultra boats, Ultra wheels and Ultra cycles. He has sold off all but the limosene business now. But here is a glimpse of an awesome truck from the past:

SCDPminivini5.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a crazy truck!!! I am diggin on the wing set up on the canopy....The biggest thing I have against the old school trucks are the square canopies....Most of them just have no shape...

Hey Mike did you guys run solenoids for the doors back then...I noticed his handles and locks are all shaved..

Cant wait to see what you are working on. I love to see the old trucks and the style they had...

OK. I totally used the wrong word earlier..... I said "forum" when I really meant "website". Guy, Mark and I are really burning up the hours working on/compiling stuff for it.

http://www.southwestdatsunpickups.com

I naturally am pouring hours into research. Not just on the Fontana club but EVERYTHING mini truck related. If You have never seen My binders then it is hard to describe the commitment going into this project. You might have read before that I have almost full collections of at least 14 different magazines. Most going back to purchases that I made 30 + years ago. I had let some subscriptions lapse so I made a determined effort about 5 years ago to complete them all. Then another challange... Tracking down, purchasing and having Japanese magazines shipped over here. Next.. take EVERY magazine that a mini truck could have ever been in and going PAGE BY PAGE through them all, listing everything I find. After that, log and photocopy it all placing it in organized binders. Why? So that if anything were to happen to Me, Mark or Guy could easily continue onward. Guy started the website, where all of this will be going. Our plan is to completely work from as far back as possible to whatever We find, which would be around 1970 or so. That would be mostly black and white photos of very premitive, but highend, customs of that day. From there work forward into color. You can imagine the hundreds of photos being found. Then add the time to scan them all, color reinhance them, catalog them and work from there. But wait..... that's not all. As I find all of the old features and such, I am making a list of all of the photographers names and, You guessed it, trying 35 years later to track them all down!! From there, try to set up meetings and hopefully be allowed to use their collections. It sounds almost impossible, but it is paying off. What You guys haven't known is that YES, We are gradually finding more and more. Add to this My ongoing search (ebay and elsewhere) of magazines that I don't own and You can see the commitment going into this project. So when You clic on SWDP's "banner page" just try to see what We are going through, how awesome it is going to be and why it is taking so long. Couple to that the project of adding photos taken recently at Our Bar-B-Que, the historic cruise and JCCS and You see what is taking Us so long. Keep checking on the above link from time to time. It will start changing very soon.... and yes, You are going to be blown away at what We have in store!!!

I can vouch for all of the work Mike & Guy are putting into the site & preservation /catalouging all of the old photos from the early days of Mini truckin. Im doing what i can to help along the way. Ive seen a few of the historic pix so far & theres 1 that comes to mind that says it all & theres a story behind how the pic surfaced!!