Nikki carb ID

Rusty Dawg

Howdy,

Can anyone help ID this carb I recently picked up?  I have looked high and low for a number and only find the number "4-7" stamped on the base of this carb.  From what I've read, the model number is usually printed on the side of the bowl, but this one has nothing.

Thanks!

IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Usually identified by what it's on or was on. Single barrels were early E engine, later were 2 barrel.

A rebuild kit is mostly gaskets that are reusable anyway. Jets and bleeds don't wear out. The accelerator pump is the hardest to find and replace. Biggest thing you can do is take apart carefully (protect and save gaskets) and clean it. Then set all adjustments to factory settings.

• Thanks 1

Do a google search for "Nikki Industrial Carburetor". I found one that is a single barrel carb in a two barrel carb body (but one bore is not machined out) and it looks very similar to your single barrel carb. Chances are good that some parts are interchangeable, like gaskets and such.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Usually identified by what it's on or was on. Single barrels were early E engine, later were 2 barrel.

A rebuild kit is mostly gaskets that are reusable anyway. Jets and bleeds don't wear out. The accelerator pump is the hardest to find and replace. Biggest thing you can do is take apart carefully (protect and save gaskets) and clean it. Then set all adjustments to factory settings.

The one I have is a two barrel.

2 hours ago, wayno said:

That appears to be a Datsun 320 carb(2 barrel), but mine is missing the throttle cable connection piece yours has.

DSC00308.JPG.231b5fbba72db8dba0dce17baa3bd75e.JPG

DSC00309.JPG.38084077759cb3f822f032a55c925c8c.JPG

DSC00310.JPG.70d426753b6dda76c95ba563ccb00d3f.JPG

DSC00311.JPG.3217b4f21de8927cdc8241638d95c0d7.JPG

I see what you are saying.  So given that it is a carb off of a 320, were there different model numbers or was there only one series used on all 320 model years?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 1:16 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Do a google search for "Nikki Industrial Carburetor". I found one that is a single barrel carb in a two barrel carb body (but one bore is not machined out) and it looks very similar to your single barrel carb. Chances are good that some parts are interchangeable, like gaskets and such.

I've never had to do any modifications on the linkage on any of my carburetors, so having said that, is it usually not advisable to go with a carburetor that doesn't match your particular set up?  I might be giving this single barrel Nikki a shot since my Hitachi once again spilled over with fuel yesterday and I don't think I can trust it any longer.  I am within a week of using the carb as a door stopper.

• Like 1

A little shade-tree engineering and whackin' & Jackin' on a motorcycle cable that I dug out of the 'junk box' in the parts counter at a local bike shop (two or three bucks and they were happy to thin out the junk box of something that would probably have eventually ended up in the dumpster) produced a purpose made cable for the Weber 32/36 grafted onto our E1. Same holds on rod-type linkages. In many instances on these old vehicles, there's just not some off-the-shelf widget to get from point-A to point-B.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Linkage isn't tough. If you can cut and weld, and are good with basic geometry, you can make any linkage work on any carb.

Well crap, if that's all I need to know how to do, I guess I'll have to find me someone in town to rig up some linkage to make work on my truck😄  

As difrangia mentioned, there's no carb out there that is just a plug and play, but I am not giving up on finding something that even I can make work.

If you look at my post with the 4 photos you can see the cable bracket you are missing in the last 2 photos, what does the carb your having issues with have for a bracket, maybe you can use that one, making a bracket is not that hard to make/do, it doesn't even have to be connected to the carb.

DSC00378.JPG.51416c979d7f6de28fc7e03f48c3316d.JPG

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/1/2022 at 1:16 AM, wayno said:

If you look at my post with the 4 photos you can see the cable bracket you are missing in the last 2 photos, what does the carb your having issues with have for a bracket, maybe you can use that one, making a bracket is not that hard to make/do, it doesn't even have to be connected to the carb.

DSC00378.JPG.51416c979d7f6de28fc7e03f48c3316d.JPG

835002077_Viewrecentphotos.thumb.png.e09750c4f6fd957a97e7fbea2f595a25.png

There is a rod/link from the foot pedal to this set up which is on the right side of the carb if sitting in the driver's seat.