Big Red 76 620 L20b w/5 spdl20b

On 10/6/2021 at 6:06 AM, Jules.f said:

Wow!! I can’t believe how much work you guys have done. I’m so glad he went to you. Can’t wait to see him rebuilt. 
I had no idea I was driving around with a broken fuel line! Those gouges on either side of the cab was from pushing him onto a car dolly from up a hill and he went over it and got mounted on the cab instead. Yeah, stupid idea that ended poorly. 
awesome work J&R Love it

Hey Jules, you got any pictures from days gone by of the red guy?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heard from Mike K today.

My front brake kit is on it's way.

Still working on making the 720 road worthy. Pushing on with the lighting issues. Next...... not sure.

Several years ago we sold a mostly disassembled 1964 1500 roadster.

The wife contacted the buyers and it's still mostly disassembled and for sale.  

This is all her fault.

We've been engulfed in datsuns again.

Did find a grill badge and a fuse box cover today for blue.20211018_172356.thumb.jpg.c2cd29f2b00accfa7b778040903b9472.jpg

Clipped right on.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Snohomishdatsun guy said:

Several years ago we sold a mostly disassembled 1964 1500 roadster.

The wife contacted the buyers and it's still mostly disassembled and for sale.  

This is all her fault.

We've been engulfed in datsuns again.

Like the truck.

Interesting, several years ago I bought a mostly disassembled '64 1500 roadster here in Spokane.

If you have the option of getting it back then do it. Lots of roadster people and help on the west side. The three seat roadsters are getting rare. Check 311's.org for information.

Wife would enjoy sporting around in a roadster. Something to think about.

8 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Like the truck.

Interesting, several years ago I bought a mostly disassembled '64 1500 roadster here in Spokane.

If you have the option of getting it back then do it. Lots of roadster people and help on the west side. The three seat roadsters are getting rare. Check 311's.org for information.

Roadsters are a lot of fun. I put together a 68 1600 and it was a blast. Sold the 64 and the 68. We were out of datsuns for awhile. We're now at two trucks and she is buying back the 64 roadster.

The 82 720 is gonna be my daily driver. The 76 is being restored.

I'll  get some pics of the 64 when we get it back home.

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

Like the truck.

Hey Fetch, let’s both get em put together and go for a drive!

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, willz said:

Looking to get rid of the l20? 👀

Not sure yet.

The ka24de is an unknown used engine. I will be tearing into it soon.

Still looking at options.

On one hand I could throw a header and the new Weber 38/38 on the l20. Overhaul my Weber 32/36 and put it on blue. 

Or go with the ka24 on red.

We shall see.

Eventually the 32/36 will be going on blue regardless.

20211002_225342.thumb.jpg.f2c525e1d263586d804a0d7e8a231674.jpg

Big Red is being patient. 

Stock exhaust is hard to improve on and only when really revved up might a header add something. Looks like you are running an L16 4 into 2 exhaust manifold anyway. So the only advantage to an expensive header is saving a few pounds weight.

RFFQD1p.jpg

38/38 is a V6 or small V8 carburetor and not for a 2 liter engine. Never over carburate an engine. It's better to have too small a carburetor an wish you had a larger one than to have a too large carburetor and wish it was smaller. Even the 32/36 is a little big but you can live with it at least.

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2021 at 8:42 PM, Snohomishdatsun guy said:

So close to having the frame stripped. Down to lower control arm and separating the king pin, torsion bars and rear end crap.

Speaking of separating the king pin and lower control arm.....

How do I get it off?

20211009_192315.thumb.jpg.d2ae2602946f48501b9c12286b43e723.jpg

I have the tapered pin nut loose but didn't want to hammer on it to hard.

While we're  at it how about those torsion bars. Was surprised when I separated the links, some pressure on those bars. What about pulling them, anything special about it?

Help please.

I have a service manual downloaded but trufuly I've yet to look at it. Figured I'd might need it going back together tho.

20211009_094604.thumb.jpg.a7825d5c5836efa9d4142c610f3bf495.jpg

Got the cab stashed out of the way giving all kinds of room.

All right guys not sure if I screwed the pooch on the torsion bar set up.

Give me your worst, I'm ready for it.

Thanks

Didn't seem like anyone answered the torsion bar question, or maybe I missed it. There's a retainer clip under the dust boot in front of the rear cross member that the torsion bar enters. Pop that off, remove the threaded torsion adjustment rod, and slide the torsion bar out by pulling it towards the rear of the truck.