70' 510 Ignition switch

Labubre

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The '70 510 that we got has the ignition switch on the steering column and features a steering lock when in the OFF position or key removed.

The '68 and '69 ignitions mounted in the dash?

This is from my 710 but the column mounted 510 ignition would be somewhat the same.

HlB0Zri.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in France, yours could be very different than our USA spec!  The USA spec 70-73 510 had a Federally mandated locking steering column, as grannyknot shows.  I have seen Euro spec cars online with a different ignition switch assembly.................NON locking.

Datzenmike is correct that the 68-69 510 had a simple dash mount switch that looks similar to your pictured.

Does your car have the 70-73 ROUND gauges ie speedometer etc?

On 7/11/2021 at 12:49 PM, Labubre said:

Hi

Have serious doubts about my ignition switch that - if works fine - is not correctly fixed in its housing.

Can somebody tell from this pic.

Thanks

Seb

Ignition-Sw-itch.jpg

what's the back side look like ?  5 terminals ? Sorta looks like my 71 521 and 68 510 wagon ignition, minus the plastic bezel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 6:23 PM, yenpit said:

If you are in France, yours could be very different than our USA spec!  The USA spec 70-73 510 had a Federally mandated locking steering column, as grannyknot shows.  I have seen Euro spec cars online with a different ignition switch assembly.................NON locking.

Datzenmike is correct that the 68-69 510 had a simple dash mount switch that looks similar to your pictured.

These?

Instru.jpg

11 hours ago, Labubre said:

These?

Instru.jpg

So here in the States, those ROUND gauges were introduced for the 1970 model year.  If that pic was a little larger, I could actually see your ignition switch, which looks like it is on the left of the steering column.  So to clarify............you do or do not have a locking steering column?  If locking, then likely the same as our USA spec.  That said, our cars have a rectangular plug with 5 wires/terminals, that plugs into the back of the ELECTRICAL switch on the steering column lock assembly (grannyknot showed our lock assembly in a pic a few posts back & datzenmike's pic of his 710 lock assembly is very similar to our 510).  The electrical switch pulls out of the back of the steering column lock assembly.

The very first pic you posted looks kinda like our 620 pick up switch...........??  If that is your switch, can you post a pic of the terminals on the back?

On 7/29/2021 at 6:23 PM, yenpit said:

These?

Instru.jpg

Hi!

Here is my connector back

Ignition-Sw-itch-COnnector2.jpg

Steering column does have the locking option

Wires: WY / WR / BW / BL / LB

Looks like i have same configuration as you 510 in US

Will try my spare ignition switch i have for my 280Z

On 8/12/2021 at 10:21 AM, Labubre said:

I saw on ZCarDepot that 510 from 07/1970 to 73 had common ignitions switch with 240/260/280Z

https://zcardepot.com/products/ignition-switch-with-keys-240z-260z-280z-510?_pos=4&_sid=b2cfc2148&_ss=r

Will tell if it works over the week end.

I have a similar if not the exact same repop in my wagon and it works perfect, but took some tedious modifying to get it to work from what I remember.   Also the keyway on the lock is unique from the stock key, almost looks like VW key blanks.  My car didnt come to me with a column lock or key, probably because a previous owner had lost the key. Was just the ignition switch and a screwdriver to turn it.  My goal was to have a matching door, hatch, and ignition key but I never was able to get it all to work. Oh well at least it starts with a key now and the column locks instead of the janky shit I originally had  

But if anyone else is missing the column lock, that part will work with a stock ignition switch and after some fiddling. I was able to get it flipped to work on the left side of the column just like stock.

On 8/12/2021 at 7:21 PM, Labubre said:

I saw on ZCarDepot that 510 from 07/1970 to 73 had common ignitions switch with 240/260/280Z

https://zcardepot.com/products/ignition-switch-with-keys-240z-260z-280z-510?_pos=4&_sid=b2cfc2148&_ss=r

Will tell if it works over the week end.

It worked fin with the ignition switch set from ZCarDepot...but now the cover doesn't seem to fit

The switch diameter is not matching the column diameter, but a plastic ring was present on column, so i used it. Ring was precut to allow locking system to operate.

Ignition-Sw-itch-Installed.jpg

Ignition-Sw-itch-Installed2.jpg

Ignition-Cover1.jpg

Ignition-Cover2.jpg

As a reminder, my steering column

Steering-Column.jpg

wow thats strange that your column is skinnier, my 1970 wagon this part "fit perfect".  Nissan even sent your car out it out with a plastic shim.  Mike might know, but maybe 1970 got a thicker column and your column is a skinnier one from 1969?  Your cover looks exactly like a normal 1970 cover though.  Seems like nissan might have been using mismatched hold-over parts in the middle of production year changes or something.  In your original picture the lock cylinder looks a lot like a 1969 style, even though the rest of your interior is 1970.  check this thread to see the various model year changes to lock styles: https://ratsun.net/topic/66921-68-dime-ignition-key-location/

At any rate, you should be good to go now, no?  Does it not lock the wheel? Also why wont the cover fit?

was trying to remember what I had to do to get the label ring the right way around.  Pretty sure I just pried the ring off and rotated it 180*, maybe trimmed some of the tabs? that part was easy though.  I think you can also rotate the ignition switch 180* to match and should be good to go with the lock/off/acc/on/start all matching the switch positions.  If you want you can also take the whole thing apart and flip the inner key cylinder as well so the lobe on the key so it points down, but if I remember right I had to remove some of the cast metal to get that to work.  Cant remember, just know I took it all apart and fucked with it a bunch till it all worked like I wanted it to. 

If you start looking for 1969 parts it may be difficult to find them and may or may not even solve the issue.  Might be worth it to try and just get the part you have working. 

Being a 510 from a different country, it might not have the same USA spec "collapsible" column, thus might be a smaller diameter.....??  Or, as somebody mentioned, maybe "roll over parts" from the 1969......??  I've never noticed two different column diameters, but I will look at the 5-6 that I have........

The reproduction Z car lock assembly is the same part as the 510, but as vanmansam points out, because the Z is on the right & the 510 is on the left, the Z lock assembly "label ring" with ACC OFF ON START is upside down for the 510............yes, simply pry off & rotate 180deg around!  Wow vanmansam, never heard of anybody disassembling the repop lock assembly, to rotate the lock cylinder, so the key faces correctly!

The Z car repop lock assembly does have the locking steering plunger.  The plunger does not come out, until you pull the key out.  Did you install the lock assembly with the key in it?  If so, maybe the plunger isn't properly lined up with the hole in the column........??  Mock it up again kinda loose, then pull the key out, move the lock assembly around a little until the plunger pops into the hole, THEN tighten it down!  This might also allow the plastic 2pc shroud to line up properly!

Again, we are guessing that your car has the same components that we do, here in the USA!

Hi

The ignition switch for 510 from 07/70, 240Z, 260 and 280 is definitively not compatible with my 70 510 steering cover!

My car should should have been manufactured between 10/69 and 07/70...kinda hybrid version between 2 generations

Forget the locking of steering column...not a big deal.

Fix the original switch in cover, all is OK now!

Thanks for support

On 8/23/2021 at 3:56 AM, Labubre said:

Hi

The ignition switch for 510 from 07/70, 240Z, 260 and 280 is definitively not compatible with my 70 510 steering cover!

My car should should have been manufactured between 10/69 and 07/70...kinda hybrid version between 2 generations

Forget the locking of steering column...not a big deal.

Fix the original switch in cover, all is OK now!

Thanks for support

Our USA spec 1970 first 6 months of production, had it own wiring harness...........IIRC from 10/69-6/70.  My buddy's early 1970 shorted out at the headlight switch & burned the harness out to the fuse box!  I tried to modify a later 1970-1972 dash harness to work, but was not successful.  It took me 6 months to locate the correct early 1970 harness, by part #, but plugged it in, replaced the H/L switch & off it went!