1984 720 Hazard Lights Not Working

bluexl

Hey Everyone. I looked through the topics and didnt see anything about just the Hazard Lights not working. My turn signals work fine, though one of the sides blinks fast and the other at a regular speed. But my hazards do not come on at all.

Does that sound like it is the flasher that needs replacing?

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look for a bulb not flashing properly on turn signal or anything odd or different between the two sides.

Try the running lights.... do they all look equally bright?

I suspect that one of the filaments has broken and jumped over onto the other filament on a double bulb and welded itself onto it. It will be on the side that flashes faster is my guess. This might fix the 4 way if not we'll try something else.

• Like 1
On 5/14/2021 at 4:17 PM, datzenmike said:

Have a look for a bulb not flashing properly on turn signal or anything odd or different between the two sides.

Try the running lights.... do they all look equally bright?

I suspect that one of the filaments has broken and jumped over onto the other filament on a double bulb and welded itself onto it. It will be on the side that flashes faster is my guess. This might fix the 4 way if not we'll try something else.

Thank you for the response. I have new hazard flasher and new turn signal flasher that I just put in over the weekend. This is for my 720 Sunrader. The Hazard Flasher was definitely bad as I tried it in my 4x4 King Cab (which works fine all around) and the emergency lights stopped working on it. The new turn signal flasher took care of the fast vs slow blinking in the Sunrader. The hazard lights however still do not work.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, NC85ST said:

Sounds like the switch to me. I’ve had issues with the switch in the past. Sometimes it would kill my turn signals all together.

Is this the switch you are referencing? I can't seem to find new ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-84-Nissan-Datsun-Pickup-Truck-Hazard-Switch-Button-Niles-16003-OEM-Factory-/313503217498?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• Like 1

I was having the same problem. The flasher relay under the steering wheel could be bad. My problem was the switch itself on the steering column. Take the steering column cover off and remove the switch. Open the switch box and clean all the electrical contacts  

• Like 1

How can you test this switch? I have one that looks the same (from a wrecking yard), but I have no experience with them, and have only a small electrical experience. With a little thought and time I can usually eventually find a way to understand electrical stuff. I'm a visual person when it comes to learning. I'm thinking of passing it on to someone else,but I won't do so unless the switch is good.

Don

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MGTS said:

I was having the same problem. The flasher relay under the steering wheel could be bad. My problem was the switch itself on the steering column. Take the steering column cover off and remove the switch. Open the switch box and clean all the electrical contacts  

You know I have been wanting to take the steering wheel cover off to spray it with a plastic paint, but was not sure if it was just held on by screws or if there was something else to be mindful of. Any thoughts on removing the steering box so that I can clean and test this part? I will use the one from the other truck to see if I can get it to work since I know that one is good.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't have that model of pickup (720). I currently have two pickups, a 1973 and a 1979 (620's), and a 1982 diesel pickup frame. I'm collecting parts to Be able to put the 1979 body on the 1982 diesel frame (I have a running SD22 motor and transmission). None of the pickups run currently.

Don

Edited by 620slodat
  • Like 1

The dielectric grease is now close to 40 years old and dried and caked on and has attracted a lot of dirt. Get a can of spray electrical contact cleaner and wash it down while turning the light switch on and off rapidly.  You might be able to do this with it installed.

• Like 1
On 5/21/2021 at 12:47 PM, datzenmike said:

The dielectric grease is now close to 40 years old and dried and caked on and has attracted a lot of dirt. Get a can of spray electrical contact cleaner and wash it down while turning the light switch on and off rapidly.  You might be able to do this with it installed.

The sparay electrical contact cleaner did the job. I did remove the steering column as I wanted to put some plastic touchup paint on it, but the emergenzy/hazard lights worked perfect once I cleaned the switch per your suggestion. THANK YOU!

• Like 1