Yamori the B210 / 120Y

Since installing the coilovers and brakes, I found that the offset of my 14" steel wheels meant the inside face of the tyre touched the bottom of the coil so I needed to use a wheel with less offset. Thankfully I had a range to choose from so I got some rubber put on my 13" x 6" Advan A3As.

51935932332_0beecf02df_z.jpg

51936917586_6f5681cab9_z.jpg

I went for a cheap tyre which fit but probably a bit too chunky as they rub a little on the guards so I'll need to roll them.

my first height was ridiculous:

51953988570_b8fb456ef6_z.jpg

so I raised it and got this:

51953455783_11ce0bd5b6_z.jpg

Still too low as it was rubbing my guards when I turned so I raised it a little more:

51953455778_83b9683a54_z.jpg

This at least allows for me to turn without completely damaging my guards, though I still need to roll the inner arch.

Once I got it rolling, I decided to get it running with a new bigger battery. After a few goes she kicked right over.

This morning I got it towed to my new place and she's sitting happily in the new garage. The move took way longer than it needed to but I'm so glad it's done!

It was a little sketchy driving with just a handbrake in the alleyway so next, i'd like to tackle the front brakes. The brakes are on but I need to connect them up. To do that I'll need to take the hard lines to a brake shop to put on a new nut. Even using the correct tools, I rounded them off when I took them off.

• Like 1
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

It’s been a little while since my last update but here it is. Check out the YT clip below

https://youtu.be/ozO2yT4VWTA

By the time I got my coilovers Yamori had been on stands for 8 months. I 
 I basically slapped it together because I needed to move the car to my new place. I was just happy to see Yamori on the road during the move instead of the old tiny garage.

The next thing I’d like to tackle is the brakes. It’s a little sketchy using the hand brake coming in and out of my garage.

Edited by Motorvated
  • Like 2

Good to see the 120y getting some love.  Just wait you'll love it so much and say goodbye to the torana! 😁😁

Taken me 12mths to get my 1500/620 ute going so please keep.going.

When I was young and dumb 17...drove my 1600 home with just the handbrake..oh about 40 mins...or more including dropping a mate home 😳

• Like 1
On 8/25/2022 at 8:16 PM, RyanC said:

Good to see the 120y getting some love.  Just wait you'll love it so much and say goodbye to the torana! 😁😁

Taken me 12mths to get my 1500/620 ute going so please keep.going.

When I was young and dumb 17...drove my 1600 home with just the handbrake..oh about 40 mins...or more including dropping a mate home 😳

haha i don't doubt it. I really cant wait

wow that's ballsy

thanks mate!

I'm in the process of removing my brake lines to make new ones. Not easy!

the flare spanner didn't work so out came the multigrips, heat and more WD40 

Yamori

Yamori

Yamori

I'm also searching for a caliper sliding pin and plastic clip for a B310 front caliper.

Yamori

I got quoted $100AUD to have the plastic clip 3D printed. It's an option but I'll keep looking for now

Yamori Yamori

• 4 months later...

It's been a slow process but lately I've been tackling the task of making and installing new brake lines. So far I've bent the front lines to shape and have them sitting in the engine bay. Unfortunately I damage the thread of my new hoses so they need to be redone.

Part of the reason that progress is slow is because I can't seem to put down my camera. Here's a clip of Yamori in it's current state. I've been practicing light painting over the past few years and thought I'd do the 120y because rusty nuggets deserve some love too. first up are some shots take by my mate in the garage

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Hey all, it’s been a little while. New family member has taken priority. I hope one day I can take our little family on a cruise sometime 😁

I started Yamori this morning which was great. It had been at least a year from the last start so I was stoked.

The exhaust currently ends under the front passenger seat so I chucked on an exhaust from my old M600 Ducati. I’m hoping I can put two on when the time comes. At first I thought the exhausts would be too restrictive but they’ve had the insides cut to help with airflow.
They didn’t sound any different to running the A14 with no exhaust 😆

my old bike back in the day

53621319457_48305f2cb3_o_d.jpg

I’d love the pipes to sit like this:

53622531014_fa3b7ad177_k_d.jpg

temporarily mounted:

53622200161_43f448ff66_c_d.jpg
53622200086_bc3cb6a1b2_c_d.jpg 

Edited by Motorvated

Went for a drive the other day to a pie shop a few hours away with some mates. I was driving my 1974 LJ Torana. I’m looking forward to the day I take the Datsun. The 1200 pictured is running an A14. That’s one nice Datto

53622530989_5010ebf922_k_d.jpg

53622530954_16969e520c_k_d.jpg 
53622408413_098a93d56b_k_d.jpg

53622648145_b8e4109360_k_d.jpg
53621319542_f75e13a8f9_k_d.jpg
53622200311_0b0c9e7336_k_d.jpg

Saw this little guy on the way home. it’s a sign!

53622530749_1c5b1400e0_k_d.jpg

• Like 1

In order to feel like I wasn’t neglecting the build, I did a few small things.

one of which was find my favourite grille. It happens to be the most common but it was still a few years before I saw one pop up for sale near me. There’s a bit of damage I missed when I inspected but it was cheap and suits the rest of the car 

53622893659_ddb3ed6519_k_d.jpg
Yes, my garage is small and a mess. it’s slightly better since this photo.

Tidying and making it presentable is my 2nd project

• Like 1

Ceramic coated exhaust metal absorbs less heat sending it farther down the system. It reduces concentrated hot spots and oxidation.

Piston tops and combustion chambers including valves can also be ceramic coated, and at home too. Most gasoline  energy is absorbed by the engine and excreted as waste heat by the cooling system. Ceramic coatings act like insulation so if less energy is taken away by the combustion chamber the hotter the expanding gasses of combustion are and the more energy that's available to push down on the piston and do usable work.

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Ceramic coated exhaust metal absorbs less heat sending it farther down the system. It reduces concentrated hot spots and oxidation.

Piston tops and combustion chambers including valves can also be ceramic coated, and at home too. Most gasoline  energy is absorbed by the engine and excreted as waste heat by the cooling system. Ceramic coatings act like insulation so if less energy is taken away by the combustion chamber the hotter the expanding gasses of combustion are and the more energy that's available to push down on the piston and do usable work.

A ceramic coated exhaust would be amazing but extractors selling for $400 then become $700. I'm not so sure if it's worth doing for my project at this stage. I'd be more tempted if I was running an SR20 or something similar. Thanks for the post

True, the law of diminishing returns. On a stock engine the exhaust is 'good enough' and realistically you won't feel any increase with an extractor. On a modified engine the exhaust can often start to be restrictive and an extractor can be a good investment. For a stock engine a lower restriction silencer or a larger pipe diameter is more than enough. 

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

True, the law of diminishing returns. On a stock engine the exhaust is 'good enough' and realistically you won't feel any increase with an extractor. On a modified engine the exhaust can often start to be restrictive and an extractor can be a good investment. For a stock engine a lower restriction silencer or a larger pipe diameter is more than enough. 

Thank you, I think you just saved me even more money. I guess I was thinking of getting extractors because of the aesthetics and assumption that they sound would be better?

Extractors are ...

Louder

Run hotter and heat up the engine compartment and maybe the floor

Almost never fit without 'adjustments' for clearance.

Unless coated they rust and rust out and look like crap in a few months.

Gasket leaks from improper clamping, usually the collector end.

After a few years they need welding repairs, usually cracking from heat cycles.

Expen$ive and more so if ceramic coated but last longer. No matter what, they will eventually wear out just like any exhaust system will.

Original manifold is already there and working, has none of the disadvantages above and nothing to do or spend money on, good enough for stock engine. Replacing the stock manifold with extractors does nothing to improve a stock, somewhat restrictive, exhaust system with a muffler. You can minimize exhaust resistance to flow by replacing the rest of your pipes (but only if it's worn out and needs replacing anyway) with 1/4" larger diameter and a turbo silencer. Doubling a pipe diameter will increase the flow by 4 times. If you have a 1 3/4" exhaust a 2" (just 1/4" larger) will flow 30% more. On a stock engine replacing the silencer is probably enough.

• Like 1
On 4/1/2024 at 2:36 AM, Motorvated said:

This sounded like a good idea to coat extractors so I’ll post it here as a reminder.

@rosso how has this held up? I’m still going through your thread and it’s great!

Hi,

If you are referring to the graphite spray coating I used on my cast exhaust manifold, it works okay. Easy to apply and looks great. Here's photo from when I first did it three years ago.

IMG_0618-2.jpg.3de05ec4343f793067769298c8566047.jpg

Now, 2,500 miles later almost all highway miles back and forth to Powerland and Oregon shows from Seattle and an open track day at Pacific Raceways

IMG_2465-1.thumb.jpg.f225d5e98da9bef2b9b35a3579409788.jpg

Easy to reapply and make nice again - if you clean your engine regularly, it's a simple wipe on touch up. This is ±20 second reapply using a tissue and one finger.

IMG_2466.thumb.JPG.13af101f4e05936ca3edf29dd1da751c.JPG