Yamori the B210 / 120Y

Hey guys, Dom here

Let me introduce you to Yamori, a Datto B210 (known as a 120Y here in Australia).

It's a 1975 model 2 door coupe which is kinda rare here. The previous owner swapped out the original A12 for an A14 which runs thankfully. To be road registered she needs the brakes to be looked at, an exhaust, new bushings and some rust repairs. All I want right now is to get her on the road. 

I've always been into cars thanks to my dad but in the past 10 years I have focused on photography and my business called Motorvated. You can check out some photography at https://www.mtrvtd.com/

I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I have a father who built me a SBC powered LJ Torana. It's backyard built but done really well. I wasn't there to help much during the build as I was studying at uni. Seeing that I missed out on learning during the Torana build I thought I'd buy a project of my own. See the Torana here:  https://www.mtrvtd.com/stories/seeingorange

I've had Yamori for about a year now and slowly doing bits and pieces which I'm documenting on YouTube. Check out the reveal clip here.

I'm currently looking at brakes so I'll keep you posted. Last night I tried to take the front discs and calipers off but got stopped when I found rubber sleeves behind two threads. I didn't want to break them so I stopped to research if they come off easily.

Thanks for checking in! I look forward to chat with you guys and girls soon

Dom

mtrvtd.com 

Edited by Motorvated
  • Like 7
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dom. Nice car. I bought a new '76 B-210 2 door sedan, well, that's what we called them. The coupe was a 2 door hatchback model and I had a '76 one of those later also. It came with A14 and 4 speed. It was light and nimble and fun to drive and only twice was I ever able to drive it hard enough, and long enough to get the mileage below 30MPG. Imperial gallon that is. Unfortunately, the Canadian winters and salty back roads chewed it up.

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Hi Dom. Nice car. I bought a new '76 B-210 2 door sedan, well, that's what we called them. The coupe was a 2 door hatchback model and I had a '76 one of those later also. It came with A14 and 4 speed. It was light and nimble and fun to drive and only twice was I ever able to drive it hard enough, and long enough to get the mileage below 30MPG. Imperial gallon that is. Unfortunately, the Canadian winters and salty back roads chewed it up.

The fact that you could still enjoy it with an A14 puts a smile on my face. 

There are so many examples with 1.8L and larger that it made me wonder if this will be too much of a nugget. I hope it’ll be a scenario of driving a slow car fast which tends to be more fun than worrying about the cops while doubling the speed limit.

damn the salty roads ey. We’re lucky here that we don’t get too cold, though instead i tend not to drive the Torana in summer

Awesome $1.20. You're right. Those coupes are super rare. I'm glad to see you're not blowing it into a million parts and over-restoring it. Just make it work and enjoy it. The man you'll need for parts is Stewart Wilkins. He is Mister Datsun.

HOME (swmotorsport.com.au)

And the A14 is a great little motor (I'm surprised to hear it was in a Pulsar though). A set of SUs will make it go a bit harder without wrecking your fuel economy. These guys are a wealth of info for A series motors (and other bits)...

Forum : Datsun 1200 Club

4 hours ago, slowlearner said:

Awesome $1.20. You're right. Those coupes are super rare. I'm glad to see you're not blowing it into a million parts and over-restoring it. Just make it work and enjoy it. The man you'll need for parts is Stewart Wilkins. He is Mister Datsun.

HOME (swmotorsport.com.au)

And the A14 is a great little motor (I'm surprised to hear it was in a Pulsar though). A set of SUs will make it go a bit harder without wrecking your fuel economy. These guys are a wealth of info for A series motors (and other bits)...

Forum : Datsun 1200 Club

Thanks mate, lets hope it ain't too rough when I get a closer look. 

I have the SWMotorsport page open on my ph for extractors. I heard about them through the Grassroots Garage YT channel. I don't doubt that they know it all. Good to know!

I was told it's from a Pulsar by the previous owner. Who knows? The gearbox is apparently out of a 310 wagon. Once I get the brakes sorted I'll move onto the motor, exhaust and Carbs. Looking forward to that.

So being new to it all, a task as simple as taking the calipers and discs off is proving a little difficult for me but I won't stop just yet.

I started on the front right and managed to get the caliper slide pins out (I broke one) and brake pads off (they seem to have a lot of meat left but I'll probably just replace them anyway seeing it has almost be 20 years).

The nut on the flared brake line was rounded so out came the multi grips to get it free.  

I'm currently at the step for removing the brake caliper that states:

"Remove the two bolts securing the lower suspension unit to the steering arm and seperate the suspension unit far enough away from the steering arm to gain access to the two caliper assembly mounting bolts"

I'm not sure why the suspension and steering need to be involved here but I'll hopefully get to that step this weekend.

It's been slow but I'm super pumped to have done just that

16 hours ago, slowlearner said:

There should be 2 bolts holding the caliper onto the strut. Usually, they're only visible from the back on strut.

Tech Wiki - Strut swaps : Datsun 1200 Club

Scroll down the page and you'll find two struts with yellow springs. You can see the front and back view to see where the bolt heads are. 😉 

Thanks for that and sorry for the noob question. Now I'm itching to get home and take the brakes off! 😄

So i finally worked out how to upload photos!

Here are a few from when I got Yamori. I purchased her on Ebay site unseen. It then took a few days for her to be transported up to me.

51175961304_2ccf1f9747_c_d.jpg

51174496947_247ab3628d_c_d.jpg

She stopped traffic being wheeled off the truck because people were offering to buy her!

51175961349_e8e89a1efe_c_d.jpg 

51175395783_b2291a875b_c_d.jpg 

the mighty A14

51174496847_c43ffa5be7_c_d.jpg

a mostly complete interior

51175961234_02bf40f0c4_c_d.jpg

51175961289_c99b8272c9_c_d.jpg

• Like 5

One small step for a mechanic, one giant leap for me. I was super proud of myself for taking my front right brakes off. Thanks @slowlearner for your help

Here are photos from the process. It has now revealed just how crusty the bushes are and easier to clean. I breathe in so much crap when I'm under the car. Probably a good time to get some soap and water in there

51172842435_a17d7a984e_c_d.jpg

51171975558_693938c0a9_c_d.jpg

I broke a pin

51171975418_ba3f14242e_c_d.jpg

This guy was too round so out came the multigrips

51172841515_5a6f814249_c_d.jpg

51174481837_3458b4cb63_c_d.jpg

51175159111_599f267484_c_d.jpg

51175381233_2d7e56c79b_c_d.jpg

51175381333_6ccc480c22_c_d.jpg

51175159466_f26801f2c3_c_d.jpg

So now I have a few options. I can upgrade my brakes to s13 rotors and calipers to fit 14" wheels or replace existing discs to a existing size (245mm) and refurb the existing calipers. Sure they wont be as good as bigger brakes but I'll then be able to fit my 13" wheels and see how it feels. If then I feel it needs more stopping power I can switch out for bigger brakes 🙂 

Thanks for looking

Dom

• Like 1

Unless your rotors are ruined, I'd just fix what's there. I assume there are easy up options for calipers. I actually swapped my struts out for 200B struts. Maybe look into something like that. An easy, factory parts bin option... but yeah. Keeping the 13s might be an issue. I tried to lend some stock 13" rims to a S13 owner on the weekend and they wouldn't fit over his back calipers. LOL

Yeeeeessshhhh, yeah I'd prefer my wheels to fit. I hear 13" watanabes fit over S13 brakes but other styles are not so lucky.

From what I can tell, the rotors look to have a bit of surface rust. I could get them machined but I figure new rotors aren't that expensive so worth getting a new set. Thankfully the previous owner upgraded the struts to a set off a Stanza. Happy days!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys and girls,

So i stopped work on Yamori so I could compile the footage I had of taking off the brakes and struts, a little interior clean and playing around with front wheels. It's fun making these videos but they're soo time consuming!

I'm seeing the car as a puzzle and it's so rewarding making progress. Taking parts off is the easy part. I'll truly be proud of myself when I get the new struts and brakes back on.

Here's the video, enjoy 🙂

Super pumped to continue work. Next up I'll take the struts apart and send them off to be turned into coilovers!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 1/13/2022 at 4:05 PM, sick620 said:

need updates. just got a b210 and I am using you for motivation 😛

Right back at ya haha

Not much to update on other than a mate of mine refurbed my front brakes and I'm currently waiting on some coilovers so I can bolt the front end back together.

I've moved house so I need to put it back on wheels so I can put it on a truck for a 5min drive to my new place.

I have another video in the works which I hope to upload in the next few weeks or so

1 hour ago, Motorvated said:

Right back at ya haha

Not much to update on other than a mate of mine refurbed my front brakes and I'm currently waiting on some coilovers so I can bolt the front end back together.

I've moved house so I need to put it back on wheels so I can put it on a truck for a 5min drive to my new place.

I have another video in the works which I hope to upload in the next few weeks or so

Cool excited to see how it turns out… If you find any extra 120y emblems/bumpers let me know I’ll buy them off you would love to make my car either look aussie spec or get sunny badges for it.. 

3 hours ago, sick620 said:

Cool excited to see how it turns out… If you find any extra 120y emblems/bumpers let me know I’ll buy them off you would love to make my car either look aussie spec or get sunny badges for it.. 

Badges you can find on ebay for about $40 in ok-ish condition. Sometimes you can find them cheaper on Aus ebay if you they are willing to do int'l shipping. I've even made repros a few times myself as I made a silicone mold for them, so if you can find or borrow one it is easy enough to make the others. Bumpers from Malaysia, but the front is the hardest to find (I have several rears but took a couple years to find a front). Probably $3-400 for a set. Brackets are an easy DIY as they are hard to find. The front grill is also from Aus as a repro, not expensive but shipping is killer for that and the few guys who deal in them didn't want to really do int'l shipping. You can also find a rear tail light garnish occasionally too. You can still get the tach off Ebay NIB for ~$100. https://www.ebay.com/itm/114935162051?epid=2299950401&hash=item1ac2ab64c3:g:eswAAOSwskphFyG2

Ebay link with rear bumper and badges, I have NOT bought from this guy. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=403196103135&_ssn=egyptn_0&_osacat=0&_odkw=&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=120y&_sacat=0

I got a bumper set and tail light garnish from this guy below:

https://www.facebook.com/Brotherjo-Retro-Parts-Garage-Accessories-101595386696552

271717710_4873015019432744_6882435473672002739_n.jpg

74B210side - Copy.jpg

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hey all

I've been busy installing my new custom coilovers which almost look too fancy for my nugget. I just need to bolt it all up so I can get it rolling to move it to my new home.

I'm filming the process so there is a video to come.

On the weekend I tried to start her up in preparation for the move.  Last year I started it with a temporary bottle of fuel but I now I'd like to try and run it using the fuel tank. First I wanted to clear the fuel lines so I put some fuel in the tank, disconnected a line in the engine bay and ran the line to a bottle. I assumed all I needed to do was turn the key and fuel would run through the lines but I got nothing. I'm thinking that maybe it's the pump in the tank? Any thoughts?

I'll probably go back to the temporary option for now just so I can move it 

23 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You have a pump in the tank???? How would it run using a bottle of gas before??? Don't you have a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block???

ooooooh  I now see what I did *face palm* I'm an idiot. I'll try again but this time I'll disconnect the hose that feeds the carby and hopefully the fuel comes through clean

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...