Retro Wave

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I think its for for safety when the car gets smashed and battery shorts out in back to keep from burning up. Thats what I think its for

i must have read the info somewhere - maybe here or the 510 forum. The reason i installed a solenoid was because some 510 owners said that "if you dont have the solenoid then the battery cable will be in constant power (HOT) to it and drain the battery over time". I think they also said "you wouldn't want power traveling that long distance constantly - you only want power when the key is turned. im guessing thats the reason why i added one even though its getting power to BOTH side and is defeating the purpose of it being installed on the car in the first place.  😞

is the solenoid a bad thing? is what i am saying correct / incorrect?

unless i misread their post (510realm).

23 minutes ago, Retro Wave said:

i must have read the info somewhere - maybe here or the 510 forum. The reason i installed a solenoid was because some 510 owners said that "if you dont have the solenoid then the battery cable will be in constant power (HOT) to it and drain the battery over time". I think they also said "you wouldn't want power traveling that long distance constantly - you only want power when the key is turned. im guessing thats the reason why i added one even though its getting power to BOTH side and is defeating the purpose of it being installed on the car in the first place.  😞

is the solenoid a bad thing? is what i am saying correct / incorrect?

unless i misread their post (510realm).

Thanks for the reply, I'm not so sure about their reasoning, a battery cable doesn't draw power so it can't drain it. If there is a drain on the battery while the car is turned off the length of the cable won't make any difference.  BMW and Audi did batteries in the trunk for years.

I'm enjoying your progress.

There's no power flowing through a long or a short cable to the starter unless you are starting the engine. It's impossible to drain a battery just because there is a cable with power available on it.

The battery is better protected inside the trunk than behind the headlights. Yes you could be rear ended but a front end accident is way more likely, here's why. You might mess up and drive into something, anything. (almost always going forward at any speed)  Traffic in your lane is going your way. (though you might drive into someone) Traffic in the other lane is coming towards you. Neither is going to end in a rear collision. Only the rare instance of you being rear ended by someone else.

The solenoid mounted in the trunk near the battery simply provides isolation to the cable providing current to the starter.  It is only live when the solenoid is activated.  Some view the long cable with voltage potential as a liability if it gets damaged.  If you put a circuit breaker or fuse it that can also provide protection. This  cable also still functions as the charge cable to the battery, connected at the start with the alternator output as it is.

Instead, the wiring diagram with the solenoid has to add two wires to the trunk- one to trigger that solenoid in Ignition start position, and the other to provide current to charge the battery in the trunk.  This cable now has constant power so it has to be fused to protect against shorts.

I think I probably did this the same way as others have mentioned (without Ford or other remote solenoid).  Solid large power cable to starter from battery (protected by fuse or breaker), and grounding in trunk leaving the remainder of the start circuit wiring as is.  (Just a note- I blew the 120A breaker starting a car one very cold morning, but not on a 510 but a different vehicle I had relocated the battery.  Leave the breaker where it is easily accessible). 

It makes the car harder to steal if the battery is isolated from the starter.... and that's about it. I would box the Ford solenoid so it's hard to access and less chance something in the trunk will make contact.

• Like 1