Lots of work to do on the 720.

None_zero

Just curious as to why you used a wood based filler.  I would think that it might have a different co-efficient of expansion than the underlying plastic or foam and that sun heating may delaminate the patch. Not being critical just curious cause I have a crack in my dash that I am considering filling with something and painting.

• Like 2
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, None_zero said:

Nope. Why?

Car was named after famous native North American tribal leader. Just like the tradition of the BSPT by Nissan, all Pontiac's have a large distinctive bulge in the middle of the grill

Pontiac-chief-artist-impression-414px.jp

gm_canada_to_kill_38000jobs.jpeg

• Haha 1
On 10/6/2020 at 12:39 PM, datzenmike said:

20201005-190311.jpg

That's the oil low pressure switch just right of the oil filter. It's in the pressure line to the oil filter which is not only not correct but if the filter were to clog it wouldn't warn you of low pressure. It's correct location is that other fitting on the left of the filter that is probably for an oil cooler??? or maybe oil feed for a turbo? Whatever it's for it's a bad idea. The sensor should be put on a TEE fitting if doing this. I would buy a new oil pressure warning switch and put it in the proper location and wire it up. Just leave the other one to fill the hole.

DETONATION SENSOR

Would only be on the Z20 engine on the Mileage Option 720. It should be higher up on the block just under the head and would NEVER be on the oil line up to the head where the warning light sensor switch should be. Look between the two pair of exhaust pipes exiting the head. The engine ID is there just below the head on top edge of block...

Q9xYbRS.jpg

Untitled.jpg.ef02d9bfcaed4ec2c55ef323a2f

The fitting top left (with two wires) looks like a temperature switch for turning an electric fan on for the radiator. Again not stock. The temperature gauge sender is just below the thermostat to read the hot water coming out of the engine. This is on the intake which will read much lower and is less accurate for a fan. Do you have electric fans???

@Datzenmike are you 100% on that with the knock being where the oil press sensor was and vice versa because these two thinks aren't threaded the same and dont appear to be interchangeable at all...

16021721056231306262072897612589.jpg

Also I cant remember which thread I read it In but if you have trouble getting to the oil pressure sensor On the z series engines this tool worked well for me though as you can see I bent the handle getting that knock sensor out

16021724985784656425721032749245.jpg

They sell these at lowes I think it was 10-15 bucks they are over in the plumbing section. .... yeah I just looked it's called a basin wrench and they are listed at $12.98 usd

Edited by None_zero
On 10/6/2020 at 8:42 PM, None_zero said:

Oh and no i dont have electric fans unless that thing in front of the rad was a fan

16020347350058533599400402290494.jpg

It does have wires but I haven't tried to turn it on or take it apart yet

Turns out "this thing" is a very loud horn. I very nearly had a heart attack when I tested its function just now... JAYSUUS!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, None_zero said:

Turns out "this thing" is a very loud horn. I very nearly had a heart attack when I tested its function just now... JAYSUUS!

I have a box of alarm sirens at the shop.  I pull that aftermarket stuff out of the cars I buy to clean up wiring.  I should put all of them on one vehicle for the lulz.

6 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

I have a box of alarm sirens at the shop.  I pull that aftermarket stuff out of the cars I buy to clean up wiring.  I should put all of them on one vehicle for the lulz.

Lol I set this one up on the battery where I had it pulled out. Scared the shit out of the youngest on his way to parent teacher conference with his mom lmao

16021972403513845355007464864007.jpg

Edited by None_zero
7 hours ago, None_zero said:

@Datzenmike are you 100% on that with the knock being where the oil press sensor was and vice versa because these two thinks aren't threaded the same and dont appear to be interchangeable at all...

The only other thing I see that looks out of place (I use this expression very loosely here)  is opposite side behind the dipstick on the block there is a random bolt sticking out like its plugging something

16021983799557337843154726950916.jpg

11 hours ago, jagman said:

Just curious as to why you used a wood based filler.  I would think that it might have a different co-efficient of expansion than the underlying plastic or foam and that sun heating may delaminate the patch. Not being critical just curious cause I have a crack in my dash that I am considering filling with something and painting.

Jag man no worries I had the same thought really but I didn't want to have to go get something else and having never made a repair to the interior of a vehicle like that I wasn't really even sure what I'd get. I guess for that maybe some greatstuff to build it up and then shave it back to the correct shape maybe and skin it with vinyl.   I dont know I kinda just wanted to see what would happen. Wood is a pretty expandable material so i figure a wood glue and sawdust composite would have enough give to survive for a while and the dynaflex ultra should flex and hold for like 15 years so who knows it may still be on there in 20 years. But if not I wasn't hanging onto that sawdust for anything else really lol 😉

.... or as I like to call it. Premium grade a all natural spill absorber!

Edited by None_zero
28 minutes ago, None_zero said:

The only other thing I see that looks out of place (I use this expression very loosely here)  is opposite side behind the dipstick on the block there is a random bolt sticking out like its plugging something

16021983799557337843154726950916.jpg

The block drain for flushing out the coolant and any sediment.

7 hours ago, None_zero said:

I must correct myself. That does appear to be a knock sensor but I only have a drawing showing it true location. I thought it was higher up near the head. It's very close to where all other Z series have their oil pressure senders. Can you take a better picture of it's location? It looks like it's where the oil sender should be.

OK this is a Z24 4x4 with a swapped Z20 from a mileage option 720.

The mileage option Z20 comes with a 9 to 1 compression and does have a knock sensor and a control box to retard the ignition when knocking is detected. As this was a Z24 none of the wiring or the control box is there. When you get this working you will probably have to run high octane gas in it. You could check the Z20 head casting number... the Mileage option is casting W 04

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I must correct myself. That does appear to be a knock sensor but I only have a drawing showing it true location. I thought it was higher up near the head. It's very close to where all other Z series have their oil pressure senders. Can you take a better picture of it's location? It looks like it's where the oil sender should be.

16022010892723394306349614905655.jpg

Ok this indentation left of the oil filter which now that I'm seeing it like this is closed off from the oil flow is where I pulled the det sensor from and this ....

16022012628297890272741342140049.jpg

Just right of the oil filter is where I pulled the oil press sensor. This truck is sporting the z20 engine as well 

16022010892723394306349614905655.jpg

This is much better. It's not in the oil gallery but a blind hole. That's fine you can put back in or leave it. You can't use it anyway.

16022012628297890272741342140049.jpg

This is in the filtered oil gallery so this makes more sense also. Make sure you put the oil sender back in here and wire it up.

The Mileage option Z20 is fairly rare and this has increased my knowledge on them. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, None_zero said:

@datzenmike numbers on the block are "z20 478808"

No look on the aluminum head, probably on or near the front. W04

Just now, None_zero said:

Actually now that you mention it I've noticed that Betty doesn't care for regular gas and actuallly doesn't like premium either I usually use plus she seems to like that just fine 

The mileage option has a special head casting and along with the flattop pistons has 9 to 1 compression and will ping on crappy regular gas. This is why they added a knock sensor and ignition retard.

Also couple questions, I think I was still wrong about the oil leak it seems like ita probably coming from somewhere over here by the exhaust manifold and see a couple of patches of fresher oil in there 16022023283036522103464702020187.jpg

Thoughts? Also I see some holes in the aluminum sheathing further down on the ... is that the cat?

@datzenmike aside from the question on speedo cable existence and or location lol I think this is the last whatsit question I have 16022029284544988413785941316548.jpg

Whatever that was had 2 wires coming off to a harness that seems to have been mislaid its connected to the heater but I dont know for what, you mentioned in an earlier response it may be for a rad fan but I dont have anything like that so I should be fine to just plug this and move on?

Edited by None_zero

Who am I kidding I have a billion questions still, chief among them are these 

Does anyone sell replacement overflow tanks for the rad mine has a giant hole eaten out of it? 

Holes in the cat below exhaust manifold signals time to replace ?

Any obvious reason why my exhaust coil cable would keep burning up and melting the contact at the coil?

@jagman I am not sure maybe they sell a product just for this but yeah like I said I think if I were you and wanted to make the repair inexpensively in a way that has the highest chance of holding up that's what I'd do. Fill with greatstuff and shave back to shape then spray with something like plasti-coat or some kind of rubberized spray. 

...keep in mind that the materials that datsun put in there originally delaminated and came apart as well so they dont have a monopoly on great ideas here it would seem lol 😉

After looking around I'd say screw it go to Walmart buy a roll of vegan leather and some glue and just wrap over your damage 

Edited by None_zero