K5 Rally Owners

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5J rim width with 6.00x14  6 ply is the tire so 175/70R14 tire today. This what the 620 came with. The tire would be 23.5" tall and 5.8" wide but I doubt you have the original tires.  You can go wider but I wouldn't go taller as this will hurt performance. What size tire do you have now?... need to know what you have in order to move forward. K5 Rally? is this the rim? If yes what is the offset and width as this will affect what will fit the truck for tire. If the K5s are sticking out too far and you go to a wider tire and then lower the truck it will come down on the tire tread. Do you have an original rim?

So the question is what are your plans? Carry heavy loads, work truck, primarily highway or town driving, or lower to the ground and a bit wider tire for looks? comfort? handling?

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

5J rim width with 6.00x14  6 ply is the tire so 175/70R14 tire today. This what the 620 came with. The tire would be 23.5" tall and 5.8" wide but I doubt you have the original tires.  You can go wider but I wouldn't go taller as this will hurt performance. What size tire do you have now?... need to know what you have in order to move forward. K5 Rally? is this the rim? If yes what is the offset and width as this will affect what will fit the truck for tire. If the K5s are sticking out too far and you go to a wider tire and then lower the truck it will come down on the tire tread. Do you have an original rim?

So the question is what are your plans? Carry heavy loads, work truck, primarily highway or town driving, or lower to the ground and a bit wider tire for looks? comfort? handling?

I am replacing all the tires, so they are irrelevant. I am not sure if these are the original rims, but I doubt it, and my google searches didn't help me.The tires are rotten and mismatched and the rims have some rust. The front are 195/70/14s and the back I can't even read because of tire rot. The tread is an off road tire though, rims are the same all around. There are some K5s (sorry that's not the rim, it's the rim off a K5 blazer) on C-list near me and I like how they look but I want to figure out what tire to get. I don't know the offset, but they are 15 X 8. (https://richmond.craigslist.org/wto/d/chesterfield-chevy-rally-wheels/7102551473.html). 

Eventually I want to get the truck lower (not slammed) as wide as possible with some fender flares and a couple fingers of clearance.  Not a work truck, maybe carry my motorcycle (~470lbs) but if I can't achieve that with that clearance then no biggie. If I can get there I want a decent amount of negative offset (like 2inches) and some wide tires with less profile. Mostly around town and some highway time.

If I could I would lower it first and then figure out the right diameter, but honestly with two flat tires and the tire rot where it is, I need to replace them first. I can't move the truck around to work on it in it's current state, and I have a more serious brake issue I need to tackle first.

00A0A_77bN319XZPD_600x450.jpg Always liked these.

A 195/70R14 is 24.75" that's a 3 MPH speedometer difference at 50 MPH.... twice that at 100 MPH. You want 23 .6" tire diameter to keep your present acceleration and speedometer reading properly. Ask them to put a ruler across the rim outside face and measure down to the bolt holes. Compare that measurement to your rims. Will it fit inside the fender? I don't care for flairs as it destroys the original 620 look, but it's what ever you need to do. If K 5 rim then pick a width you like. Stock K5s are 8" wide rims so 8" at least.

205/55R15 are 8"wide

215/50R15 are 8.5" wide 

240/45R15 are 9.5" wide

These are all the same diameter as the stock 620 tire but much wider and in 15" rim.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

A 195/70R14 is 24.75" that's a 3 MPH speedometer difference at 50 MPH.... twice that at 100 MPH. You want 23 .6" tire diameter to keep your present acceleration and speedometer reading properly. Ask them to put a ruler across the rim outside face and measure down to the bolt holes. Compare that measurement to your rims. Will it fit inside the fender? I don't care for flairs as it destroys the original 620 look, but it's what ever you need to do. If K 5 rim then pick a width you like. Stock K5s are 8" wide rims so 8" at least.

205/55R15 are 8"wide

215/50R15 are 8.5" wide 

240/45R15 are 9.5" wide

These are all the same diameter as the stock 620 tire but much wider and in 15" rim.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
On 4/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, datzenmike said:

205/55R15 are 8"wide

215/50R15 are 8.5" wide 

240/45R15 are 9.5" wide

I’m looking into the K5 rally rim also. 15x8, So you recommend 205/55R15 to keep performance? 

13 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

Nice! Those might be a bit to big for me. What are you rubbing on?

Rub is at front inner fender at full lock - think one side. Had to tune height and fenders aren't straight.

Here's some other Chevy Rally threads with pics - good information. 195/50R15 on lowered truck seemed popular.

https://ratsun.net/topic/54224-chevy-rallys-on-521-any-issues/

https://ratsun.net/topic/71107-chevy-rallye-tire-sizebrand/

• Like 1

Was saying the 195/50 R15 seemed popular in the Chevy Rallye threads for lowered trucks - function, appearance, rubs, etc.

Comparison to stock size. More burly looks good to me - but tradeoffs. I tried 225/50R15 but they rubbed horribly.

Snap186.jpg

Edited by Tucson620
  • Like 1