A new beginning

Ooph!

I was given the Low Manufacturing Technical Service Manual and with it came a 10 page assembly manual.

I'll have to scan and post them at some point, a cursory web search didn't show any.

I remember seeing the kit advertised but it was out of reach at the time

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Started to look over the new 4x4 and found some interesting things

Two labels one for the hubs and one for the fuel tank on the inside glove box door.

The tank is 18 gallons

20240827_172753.jpg

The seat which appears to be out of a Datsun has a center console with cup holder, very 80's

20240827_173427 II.jpg

A gun rack behind the seat, I couldn't get the release to work to tilt the seat forward

It has a Weber carb with a factory adapter for the stock aircleaner

20240827_180451 II.jpg

Edited by Ooph!
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that shipping at Rockauto can be hazardous to your wallet.

The cropped screen shots are for all the same parts except I dropped 1 brake line but there's one in the cart.

Shipping charges drop from $53.96 down to $13.99

I still haven't ordered, they can wait

RA 4B.jpg

RA 3B.jpg

RA 2B.jpg

RA 1B.jpg

Edited by Ooph!

I'm sure you are aware of the little truck with the letter A, B, C, etc. Rockauto charges separate shipping charges for shipments made from each warehouse.

image.png.e0b023352c1511848c2b06fadfb4ac8e.png

Also, Rockauto is notorious for using shipping as a profit center, unlike many other places (Summit racing), but their prices on the parts are also a lot lower than other places (again, Summit), so you have to weigh the shipping vs part cost.

There was an article about this years ago. In the article, it also explained how Rockauto does not reveal their warehouse locations. This is obfuscation at it's highest level, so you can't use the warehouse location to help decide the shipping method. I've paid overnight freight for orders to find that they come from SoCal, which would have been one day with standard shipping. So how bad do you need the parts???

• Like 1

Time for a complete brake rebuild the master and calipers are stuck.

I put the rotors on the brake lathe yesterday and there's not enough thickness left to clean them up.

Looking at Rockauto there are 5 and 6 lug rotors available for the jeep CJ but not quite enough info to tell me if they are the same unless I'm just not seeing it, I'm going to take a chance and order the 6 lug so hopefully I don't have to re drill the fives into sixes. Also I think I need tires, Ha ha but they still hold air.

Edit: I found the rotor specs they are different .4 inch thicker, height of .101 Dia of .11

20240907_095902 II.jpg

20240917_113213 II.jpg

20240917_113227 II.jpg

20240909_161445 II.jpg

Edited by Ooph!
  • Like 1

The rotors and Calipers have been 1978 to 91 Jeep CJ so far, I'm assuming the hub to be a LOW manufacturing piece.

1979 was the Disc brake first year for 620's so to base it on the CJ would have been easier.

The manual does say 78 Datsun conversions use the stock disc brakes but this is a 73

Edited by Ooph!
  • Like 1