620 KC on a 720 KC frame

TommyBsolid

I will be picking up a 720 king cab frame soon. My question is, will a 620 KC fit on the frame without any modifications? And how would I go about registering it? Which VIN do I use on the title(frame or cab), what documents would I need to receive from the sellers for proof of ownership in case it gets inspected? I am thinking a copy of the title, and a bill of sale. Anything else I would need?

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put my '78 KC onto an '82 long wheelbase 720 frame and I don't remember doing anything to it.  The steering box and idler arms on the 720 are mounted to the outside of the frame, while the 620's are mounted to the inside. Have a look at this before you start. Somehow you need to keep the 720 box and somehow join the 620 column to it.

The 620 and early 720s were before the 18? digit VIN but the did have a 'car number' on the engine tag left inner fender and a matching frame stamp top right side forward of the engine mount. Good luck finding it under all the rust.

The 720 frame will have a 'car number' stamped into the top right side, probably forward of the engine mount. I wouldn't clean it off and draw attention to it. 

Myself, I just wouldn't say anything. Register as a '7? 620. The hell with them... make them do all the work!!! I seriously doubt they will check a rusty 40 year old truck frame. Hell I doubt they will even know where to look. Have the bill of sale handy in case but say nothing. Let them go to any bother looking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Different states will have different rules for what you are doing. In Oregon the frame number and the cab number will be checked for any discrepancy/stolen, etc and then the "new" vehicle will be licensed under the newer VIN. I am doing something very similar to what you are doing is why I checked (620 cab onto a 720 diesel frame with a diesel motor and transmission). The cab is from a 620 that my Dad bought new so I know that is good. The frame I have already had checked and it came out good. I did this before even saying yes to the frame. 

If you are going to do this you need to at least check the VIN's for any discrepancy so you don't put any time or money into something that won't pass DMV checks. If you are wanting to keep this legal you need to check with your state's DMV before proceeding just to make sure both cab and frame are clear. What you do from this point is up to you and what you choose. I just know that a 620 cab will bolt directly onto a 720 frame. Standard cab or King Cab the mounting points are the same. The only difference is the wheelbase difference between std and KC frames, and the steering, as DM already said.

Don

Edited by 620slodat
  • Like 2

You don't necessarily have to call DMV, there are plenty of sites to be able to check VIN history & discrepancies. I live in Washington. I will try to get a copy of the title and definitely a bill of sale. I will register it with the cab vin and take to court if ever comes to it (highly doubt it). As long as its not stolen, and you have proof of ownership, nothing to worry about.
Regarding the steering link, I will have to see if I can put an intermediate shaft between the column and box. I could fabricate a shaft with u-joints to get the angle. I don't have the frame or cab yet, will cross the bridge when I get there.

Edited by TommyBsolid
  • Like 1

If you mean something like CarFax it won't help. Prior to '81??? car makers made up their own VINs (such as they were) there was no universal 18? digit code to follow like the first letter is the country of production. All they have is a 'car number'.

• Like 1

The 720 is an ‘85, has a 17 digit vin. Looked it up and it checks out. The 620 on the other hand will have to be called in, I have not found a cab yet. The owner of the  720 frame is keeping the cab, therefore most likely keeping the title and registering the vin.

• Like 1

The 720 vin matches the title vin so if he is reusing the cab and title get a notarized bill of sale with the frame vin on the bill of sale. if your frame vin is not updated to your 620 title keep the truck out of California as if CA finds the mis matching frame number they will impound the truck.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

My plan for it is to find a 1998-2016 Frontier donor and swap in the KA24DE, also turbo it making a KA24DET. It will be straight piped anyway, so I wont be able to take it anywhere near California. Washington recently eliminated ALL emissions testing on any model/year. Not having this as a daily driver, really going to orient it as a recreational track/drift truck. Will have coil overs, KA trans and diff, 720 frame originally came with Z24. All of this with a 620 cab would be a dream come true.

Edited by TommyBsolid
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

The 720 vin matches the title vin so if he is reusing the cab and title get a notarized bill of sale with the frame vin on the bill of sale. if you frame vin is not updated to your 620 title keep the truck out of California as if CA finds the mis matching frame number they will impound the truck.

Why did/would they check an out of state vehicles VIN numbers Charlie?

• Like 1

I came across a 1986 D21 Hard Body with a Z24i. Same story as my ‘85 Z24, blown head gasket. It was too good of a deal to pass up. I might throw on my Mustang SVO turbo on this one and send it. Its a standard cab 2wd, gold/green paint. Interior needs work, but engine looks to be in good shape. I figured since I don't have all the time I would need to complete a cab swap as soon as I would like to I opted for this. I must say its a sweet little truck I will have alot of fun with 🙂

6-DB2-F700-DDC4-4-AFA-A145-16-BB527-C8-D

334-AEF80-9-F78-4-C7-F-B703-7-DD835-DBD1

• Like 1

Most don't have the time/patience to go through the process of replacing the gasket. It doesn’t cost much but is fairly time consuming, and you have to be careful with not accidentally dropping something into the timing cover. While I had my ‘85 apart I set a razor I was using to clean off the gasket residue down somewhere along the engine bay, I then hear a metallic cling and clang as it fell down somewhere (I don't remember where I set it down last). I tried my best to scope out the bottom of the timing cover with a stick magnet thinking it fell down in there. Had a heart palpitation when I heard the noise, didn’t find it down there or anywhere for that matter. It just seemed to fall down in some nook in the engine bay. Engine has been running for a month with no sign of anything wrong. Long story short you have to be very careful while executing the repair, lack of knowledge on how to do the repair plus fear of messing something up ends up in alot of vehicles for sale that need simple repairs. This is not only true for engine repairs but transmission/suspension/electrical/drivetrain as well. It pays to be mechanically inclined.

Edited by TommyBsolid
  • Like 1

California has a habit of verifying VINs during routine traffic stops.  I do not know why this is but I lost a 50 Studebaker Champion to their routine traffic stop VIN check because the frame had been swapped.  The impound fees were high enough combined with lawyer fees and court costs that made it not a doable scenario to get the car back.  This was in West Covina CA.

Why settle for one when you can have both? Picked up the frame today, came complete with an engine and drivetrain. Tons of misc. parts like wiring harness, gauge cluster, even has an A/C pump. I couldn’t help myself 🙂

0-B562364-B99-B-4997-81-DA-54-E4-F249307

30-D35-BD7-5-C0-A-4-FD7-B681-4-F46802837

72721-D76-BF8-D-4-B25-9-E0-B-7-C6120-D7-

66012-F51-2647-477-F-9-DE7-164820368-B9-

I still don't know what I’m going to do with it. If anyone needs parts pm me.

Edited by TommyBsolid
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So you should have confirmed by now with the responses that yes the 620KC body will fit onto the 720KC, all the mounts are in the same place. The 720 frame will be slightly longer on the tail ends (5" I recall) due to bumper mounts as the 620 didn't come with one. I don't know what you'll experience with the DMV but I'd expect that they'll want it to be registered as the 620 as that's what the cops would see.

• Like 1

Is the 620 already registered? If so, don't do anything. Enjoy. Basically you up graded the drive train.

If not register as a 620 and say nothing. I doubt they know that the 620 was never a 4x4. If it has to register as a 4x4 say you built it yourself.

• Like 1