Another UK Newbie :)

JK510

Hi all,

I'm in the process of importing a 1972 510 4 door from South Africa to the UK, so hopefully I'll be able to pick up tips and advice from here as I go. I'm new to 510 ownership but not Datsun as I had a 1974 260Z for 10 years until a couple of years ago...

The car looks pretty good as it is, I've attached a picture below, but I do have some plans to make it look and drive much better. 

I plan to start steadily, maybe just lower it a little with coilovers (recomendations and suggestions welcomed) and upgrade the wheels.

I really like the look of the Atara Racing Pisang 15" wheel, probably staggered 8J front 9J rear with wheel arch extensions (fender flares) although I might just stick to 8j all round and a front airdam are first on the list. And I'd like to replace the current wing mirrors with some of the JDM style chrome mirrors, who's the best supplier? As I've said I'm in the UK so I guess I will need to source most parts from the states which has shipping and duty implications making things expensive, but I think finding most parts over here will be tricky.

Then I plan to look at engine and drivetrain with a 5 speed gearbox upgrade, it seems the 280ZX box is a common replacement, but does the S14a box fit too, I fitted one to my S30 and it was a transformation, I loved it, so if it's possible I'd like to fit one to the 510. But if not recomendations again are very welcome.

Looking forward to the car very much, it's first big outing will be to the Le Mans Classic in July so I hope to have is at least reliable by then 

All tips, hints and advice readily welcomed..!!

Cheers,

JK

49530553467_198c79ebb5_h.jpg

49529825173_d4a3147b2b_b.jpg

Edited by JK510
fixing images
  • Like 3
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

be honest I would just get some wheels that tuck up under the wheelwells better and just lower it and leave it alone.

Looks GREAT as is and with out the airdam.  As Im older now I like the clean look.  Just call it good. its beautiful as it looks.  don't ruin it as tons of others have done.

I like the Rota OS Mesh wheel as a cheap wheel to purchase, I seen these cheaper than listed below

https://www.18racing.com/collections/os-mesh/products/copy-of-rota-os-mesh-1570-4x114-3-20-73-hyperblack-with-polish-lip

however since the car is so nice maybe a a Japan made wheel and call the car done after you lower it abit.  Don't flair it or add a airdam!!!!!!!  maybe on a damaged car that your starting over but to take a intack car and start hacking I say don't.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

Welcome to the list.  Awesome 1600 you have coming!

SSS fender (wing) mirrors can be had from Yahoo Japan all day long.  Nissan still makes them brand new.  You might be able to find a nissan dealership in the UK that can order them for you.

These guys have them too (at a bit of a premium)

http://www.japanorder.com/2014/05/10/datsun-510-fender-mirrors/

--carter

280Z/280ZX 5speed is the "bolt up to the L series engine" upgrade, but you would need to shorten the driveshaft & fab up a trans crossmember/mount.  I think Techno Toy Tuning (T3) here in the States sells a trans crossmember......?  Be sure to match your throw out bearing mounting sleeve (attaches to the throw out arm) to whatever clutch kit you use............ ie 280Z Coupe (2+2 uses a different clutch kit) clutch kit you must use the matching 280Z Coupe t/o bearing sleeve.  There are at least three different "depth" t/o bearing sleeves.

I would expect that you can upgrade to the S13/S14 5speed, but iirc you will still need a 1971-1978 Z car 4speed or a 1977-1983 Z/ZX 5speed bellhousing, either of which requires having one of the front bearing holes machined out larger to suit the larger S13/S14 bearing...........just that one bearing, all else is good.

If you decide to lower the car, one of the best budget upgrades for the front is to use the 79-83 280ZX (NOT the earlier 240Z-280Z!!) front strut assemblies with coilover adjustable springs.  You have more available choices of replacement strut insert cartridges (shocks) for the ZX struts, a better more conventional caliper, vented rotors & larger wheel bearings.  Of course you can also upgrade the rotors & calipers with various suppliers ie Wilwood, Ermish etc etc.

Good looking 4dr!  Love the dual Weber DCOE's! 

Thanks for the welcome and for the positive replies. And also for the suggestions regarding styling, wheels, gearboxes etc, perhaps I should take a view on what lengths I go to when it arrives in a few weeks...!

Definately needs lowering though, must be a South African thing, they all seem to ride very high over there 🙂

Cheers,

JK

23 hours ago, carterb said:

Welcome to the list.  Awesome 1600 you have coming!

SSS fender (wing) mirrors can be had from Yahoo Japan all day long.  Nissan still makes them brand new.  You might be able to find a nissan dealership in the UK that can order them for you.

These guys have them too (at a bit of a premium)

http://www.japanorder.com/2014/05/10/datsun-510-fender-mirrors/

--carter

this set just listed w/ part numbers shown in the ad

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x673950214

96301-N0400

96302-N0400

• Like 1