I'm most likely buying a B210 tomorrow.

ramen tamer

It's a bit early to be posting this, but I'm so excited that I can't contain it.

I've been hunting a 2-door B210 for a while.  It's my dream car.  The 620 is my dream truck and I already got one of those, but for a car it was a 2-door B210, no fastback.  I freaking love the Honey Bee, but finding those is hard and when you do find one, they're super expensive if they're in good shape.  So, next best thing, a proper B210 with none of the bells or whistles.  It does have the chrome on the rear window, so I know it isn't a proper Honey Bee, but I can pretend and no one except Datsun people would ever know the difference, yeah?  Nor would they care.  It's just a cool car.

Anyways!  I'm heading out to look at it (buy it, most likely) tomorrow.  I searched all over Craigslist, Ratsun and Google for months.  There was one on Craigslist but I got beat out while I was pondering whether I could afford it.  I just found this one on Facebook, last night.  My super-understanding girlfriend loaned me the money and I am so gosh-darned excited.

What else...Pictures?  It's a bit weird to post pictures of a car I don't own, yet, but I'm gonna, anyways.

84963714_10158112352374809_5035912488147   

85080730_10158112383604809_4052546435437

Dude says that he has the original wheels and bumpers.  So, I'm pretty excited about that, too.  I know a lot of people here don't like the bumpers, but I think they're ridiculous and fantastic.  And the wheels...Well, I like original shit.  If the rubber isn't completely torn up, I'll be putting those back on in a hurry.  If they are, I'll be driving it around, as is, until I can afford to get new tires on 'em.  The interior is a mess.  It needs sorting out, too.  But, I can put that off a little bit.

I have also been studying up on the KA engine swap thread and the brake swap thread, so I'll probably get around to that stuff down the line.  Brakes first, then engine.  But, the engine won't be swapped for a long while, so I'm sorry that there won't be any pictures of that for ages.  But, since there's plenty of reading to read and plenty of time, hopefully that'll keep me from asking a lot of dumbass questions in the build thread, eh?

Cheers, everybody.  If all goes well, tomorrow, I'll own my dream car.

*EDIT:  One of the pictures had the license plate in it.  While I don't care, personally, if people see my license plate, it's not my license plate yet.  But, just so y'all know, it was a picture of the rear of the car that showed off that chrome trim on the rear window.

Edited by ramen tamer
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A '76 or older. Get it!!! Pay back your g/f right away first. You don't want her getting  the car in the separation.

Not a huge fan of those rims but better than the stock steelies.....and looks like they fit. Might also be 14" which would be nice.

The Honey Bee was a totally stripped down car. Just buy the Honey Bee stripe and call it good.

• No Wheel covers (dog dish caps fitted)
  • No "honeycomb" wheel covers
  • No Spare tire cover
  • No Trunk mat
  • No Cigarette lighter (blind plug fitted)
  • No Speedometer trip meter
  • No Rear window defogger switch (blind plug fitted)
    • 1976 Honey Bee has the defogger
  • No Carpet (only Mat)
    • California models included carpet
  • No Arm rest (pull handle is fitted)
  • No Door trim moulding
  • No Rear side moulding
  • No Rear seat ashtray
  • No Wiper blade high-speed fin (uses basic type from 620 truck)
  • No Door lamp switch for assistant side
  • No Console box
  • No Non-glare glass
  • No Chrome moulding for windshield
  • No Chrome moulding for rear window

Oh, I'm fitna pay her back in a couple months.  I was actually gonna get a proper bank loan, but then she offered to loan me the money, so...She's amazing.

14" would be nice.  I was reading that the disk brake calipers fit behind the 13" wheels, but I bet that depends and I bet it'd be beneficial for me to have 14".  In fact, I'll probably be following your string of pictures when I get around to sorting out those brakes.  Which reminds me, in the KA swap thread, I think, you referred to the wheels as a "fuse."  I don't know what you meant by fuse.  Is it a good thing?  Are larger wheels better in this scenario?  

Large tires with lots of grip allow a lot of strain to pass through the drive train turning them. A smaller tire spins easier with less effort on the drive train. 

Wider tires look nicer. A trick is to run smaller on the front. The eye is tricked and 'sees' the rears as 'larger'

21 minutes ago, mhub91 said:

That seller wants $3K for that car.... You're F'n nuts if you even pay half of that. $600 car.

I'm full on nuts, then.  I saw yours on Craigslist.  If it weren't for the 4 doors, I really don't know why that's important to me, I would've begged you to figure out a payment plan.  Yours is so nice.  You did a lot of great work on it.  I read through your topic about it, earlier today and was like, "Hey, shit!  I know that car!"  It really is a beauty.

23 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Large tires with lots of grip allow a lot of strain to pass through the drive train turning them. A smaller tire spins easier with less effort on the drive train. 

Wider tires look nicer. A trick is to run smaller on the front. The eye is tricked and 'sees' the rears as 'larger'

I see.  So instead of putting bigger tires on the back and (potentially) goosing things up, you just put littler ones up front.  Giving off all the aesthetics of the massive rear wheels, with none of the twisting the drive train.  

Also, I paid 3k for my beaten down, though KA swapped, truck and it's done me nothing but nice.  Besides trying to kill me every once in a while.  Like when the throttle got stuck open on I-5.  Shit dang, that was an adventure.  Then, a month later it's brakes went out because I think one of the wheel cylinders is leaking.  That truck is surprising.  But, it's what I've always wanted (the truck, not the surprises).  And, they aren't making any more of these things, y'know?  Y'all see that 240Z that sold at auction for 310k?  A 2-door B210, just like this one, is my dream car.  So, if it starts, drives and stops, it'll be parked outside of my house, come tomorrow. It's probably not worth 3k to most.  But it'll mean the world to me if it runs.  I'll fix the rest as it becomes an inconvenience.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ramen tamer said:

Oh, I'm fitna pay her back in a couple months.  I was actually gonna get a proper bank loan, but then she offered to loan me the money, so...She's amazing.

14" would be nice.  I was reading that the disk brake calipers fit behind the 13" wheels, but I bet that depends and I bet it'd be beneficial for me to have 14".  In fact, I'll probably be following your string of pictures when I get around to sorting out those brakes.  Which reminds me, in the KA swap thread, I think, you referred to the wheels as a "fuse."  I don't know what you meant by fuse.  Is it a good thing?  Are larger wheels better in this scenario?  

Not sure on those particular rims, but the stock 13s will not fit bigger 280zx calipers/struts behind them, only a very few 13s will fit and usually require grinding on the caliper for clearance. Personally I'd keep those rims, they are reasonably sought after actually (unless copies? hard to tell from pics). If you do want to go larger I'd look at Z car rims as they fit quite nicely even in 15s and will of course clear bigger calipers. 

Ditto on 3K being way to much for that car too. 1500 maybe.

I guarantee that car has some rust issues, especially look at the bottom of the fenders front and back and underneath in the front at the side rails by the wheels.

Is it a 4 speed (most likely), 5 speed? or autotragic?

Not sure on the year, grill is 74-75 and some 76s. Side trim is aftermarket, paint makes me think respray but not sure. 

I would strongly suggest not doing an engine swap in the B210 unless you have a lot of experience with engine swaps. Very little info on it and several notable differences from the 510.

It's a '75 4-speed.  I won't be doing an engine swap for a long time.  I need more experience.  Not something I think I want to jump into.  Not something I think I know better than other members, for sure.  When I do get around to it, it will be because I think I have enough information already in pocket, parts on hand and money for things to go wrong.  It won't be for years.  I refuse to be the new-ish Ratsun guy that thinks he knows better than everybody and ends up ruining a perfectly good car.  Y'all's word and information means a lot to me.  It's why my truck still runs, to this day.  When I bought it, I knew that vehicles needed gas and air in the tires.  Now, I've replaced near everything except an engine.  And a rear axle, I suppose.

Anyways, while I gather that y'all don't agree with the price, I'm still fitna pay it.  I already expressed interest at the listed price and, unless something is seriously wrong, I will pay the price that I felt was reasonable when I responded to the ad.

That side trim is well fucking awful, though, and needs to go.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, datsunrides said:

As long as your satisfied with the purchase, that’s all that really matters. Not speaking to this in particular but people overpay for things they want everyday. I’ve bought things for $100 and felt ripped off and also spent 7k on a car and felt like I got a screaming deal.

That's pretty much how I feel. It drives way different than my truck and it took some getting used to. But, I was rocking an ear-to-ear grin all the way home.

10 hours ago, afracer said:

Are those Work Equip 02 knock off wheels?

Not sure. They're "Jun" brand, it looks like and 15 inch.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/23/2020 at 10:48 AM, Macdrone said:

got a good b210 badge with both posts?

I have a few badges of different aesthetic qualities. I originally restored mine by taping over the chrome Datsun then using an exacto knife to to cut away the tape in order to spray the black behind the chrome Datsun lettering.  Then I did the reverse for spraying the red on the 210 numbers. Worked much better than expected and took a lot of patience but worth it.