posted this in the truck forum, now i ask you.....

Llittle_Llama

ok, i wanted another datsun for awhile now and realized i dont need another 620, but i want a 280Z......i really want a goon, but the only one i found around here is beat the fuck up and not for sale.....so..... i think i want a 280.... easier to find parts for than the 620, and i would think more fun to work on, lol. so what years are the best to look for, and what are the things i need to look at when i go to buy one?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say get what you really want, something will turn up. Why not get one out of california, it's only a couple of states away from you, heck, I got a couple of cars out of the US because there's nothing much but huge rust piles or nice, finished ones up here.

honestly....cause i have fallen for them, lol. and i was always so mad when i asked at the JY if they had datsuns and they say "yeah, bunch out there, go look" and there all z cars, lol. now i want one :) so please, school me on the differences in the years adn what motor goes in what.....

Go google 240 and 280 you will see some pics there, I dont really have any. 280s are ok, the major differences are bigger bumpers, fuel injection and turn signal and tail lights are different. 240s are alot more simple, but it you come across a nice 280 for a good deal i wouldnt pass it up. Its all up to what you want though. If you are just getting in to them get one that hasnt been fucked with and runs well. I never would have thought about having a 280 when I was really in to 240s, but now that I have a 280 I have come to like it.

3-speed auto is the same as the other Datsuns. Tall gearing but at least the engine has some torque.

Get a 280Z. You may want to switch it over to look like a 240Z though. Bumpers, turn signals, tail lights can all be switched out.

The 280Z is slightly heavier but that is due to thicker sheetmetal and stronger doors. (safer)

The 280Z was made from 1975-78

1975 first year of the car and first year of fuel injection. Very low emissions systems. Square port exhaust is supposed to flow a little better on the 1975-76 but they had softer valve seats in these heads so they often need the head rebuilt at 100k miles.

1977-78 have round port exhaust like the 280ZX. All years were open chamber head and low compression. 8.3:1

Basically very little changed on the 280Z through the years. 1977-78 had an optional 5-speed but the earlier Z's may have had swaps by now.

Most all of the 280Z's had a 3.54 R200 rear. Switching to a 3.9 R200 will give it some more snap through the gears. 3.9 isn't too hard to find from a 280ZX 5-speed car.

frankly, go for the one with the best body and least amount of rust. The 280 is heavier but the body is quite a bit more reinforced. I personally love the 240z tail lights, but I think it would be easy to convert to those on a later car.

Also you get a bit more interior out of a 280z.

If you go with a later z, ditch the bumpers and use 240z unless you like exploder nuclear blast bumpers.

The cars are pretty fun to drive, and they sound good.

260z are basically late model 240z or early 280z cars, thye were only made in 74, and they either share most of the 240z styling, or the later 280z depending on the manufacture date.

like bleach was saying, go for a n42 280z if you can find one.

Edited by City Hunter
whats the n42 thing?

That's the best head for the 2.8 motor. I once had a 280. Was the best Z car I ever had. And I've had many, I would still have it but Lost it to the rain gods. You know what they say about us cali people driving in the rain. If you don't want to put 240 bumpers on it put the MSA body kit. Cleans the car up real good.

awesome, i will when i get back, going to the shop to take some pics of the 620 to post up. so what years were the 240's made and what are the differences in them?

240Z

150 hp

'70-'71 were 2,300 lbs

'72-'73 were 2,355 lbs

260Z (2" longer than the 240Z)

139 hp

'74 were 2,605 lbs

280Z (9" longer than the 260Z)

149 hp

'75-'78 were 2,875 lbs