posted this in the truck forum, now i ask you.....

Llittle_Llama

The way horsepower was measured and advertised changed through the 1970's.

The power went up a lot with the 280Z but it was heavier. 170hp compared to a 240Z's 150hp is a better comparison.

The length is measured from bumper to bumper. The body was the same.

The long nose kit is the Gnose. Very expensive.

I always go with fuel injection when possible. It takes a lot of expensive carbs and fine tuning to beat just the stock fuel injection in power. but you're still going to get a lot better economy out of injection.

I prefer the 280ZX engine. P79 for its closed chamber head and the flat top pistons gave it higher compression. If ever you find one cheap you can switch out the block and head but retain your stock fuel injection and intake manifold.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well that settles it for me, i am going to only look at manuals as the swap will prolly kill my budget and thats what i really want, same with the engine, i will go FI as i am more familiar with it and as i assumed it is easier to tune. there is a nice one in dallas for 2500, i think if i go with 1500 and tell him i will take it on the spot it might be doable, its been on CL for a few weeks now, lol.

ok, next question..... what years were they mad until, and what is the cutoff year i need to stay away from? i only ask cause i found this one close..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-280-ZX-1982-All-original-280ZX-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ120335574466QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nevermind, he wants 7 g's for it. fuck that, lol

ok, here is one in my price range, lol.....what other than the tranny is an issue on this one? there seems to be a lot of shit in the engine bay..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190267982705&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Edited by dwnshfter

I had triple webers on my 240, and it was very fast. Now that I've had a couple FI cars I like the FI better, imo carbs=power FI=reliability. I want both so thats why im going turbo on my FI. Actually my 240 with triples never broke down on me, I drove it every day for about 5 years. You just have to experience both and figure out what you like best. Heres a couple links to my 240.

I love 280's.....without 'em where would we get decent struts and 5-speed trannys? :lol:

Interesting that you say you're on a Ratsun budget, and that you're willing to spend a grand or two on a 280, yet you didn't spend $200-$300 for a harness so your wiring would be done and your truck running.

Just saying..... :rolleyes:

I love 280's.....without 'em where would we get decent struts and 5-speed trannys? :lol:

Interesting that you say you're on a Ratsun budget, and that you're willing to spend a grand or two on a 280, yet you didn't spend $200-$300 for a harness so your wiring would be done and your truck running.

Just saying..... :rolleyes:

i have money in savings that i can get out to nuy another car only because i will sell my ranger once i have a second car and can put the money back. i have 12 dollars and change in my checking till the first when i get paid again. and no, i would never buy another harness for my truck, i like the way i am doing it, i dont trust 30+ year old wires. why replace them with more old brittle wires? instead when i am dine in a few days i will have a brand new wiring harness and not 1 foot of extra wire. if something happens and there is an issue i go right to the problem and i fix it, end of story, no more going through 1000 wires to find that one.

ok, here is one in my price range, lol.....what other than the tranny is an issue on this one? there seems to be a lot of shit in the engine bay..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190267982705&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

this one has 24 hours left, is this year alright? no one has commented on anything past 79 yet.....

im a 79-83 fan myself, but thats what ive always had, i still have my first and 3rd car!! ive had 4 and collected all the parts. only problem with that year is there is not as many parts avail for the body repair and suspension, unless you spend big coin. the early s30's have more avail for them due to popularity