Sr20 det engine swap in a 620.

Clint760

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 71B was able to handle the power of a similar year '78 280z... I guess about 160-170 hp???? Eventually it was used with the '83 zx non turbo so 180???? maybe close to 200??? I don't know.  As future 4 cylinder and others were increasing in displacement and power the 71B was retired and the 71C first used on the '84 300zx VG30 (non turbo) and fazed in, in '86.5 on all other vehicles. It approximately is capable of about twice the power handling as the 71B. 300zx owners have replaced blown up T-5 turbo 5 speeds with the non turbo 71Cs and find they will stand up to them very well.

The  71Cs are all shorter (in varying amounts) than the 71B.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The 71B was able to handle the power of a similar year '78 280z... I guess about 160-170 hp???? Eventually it was used with the '83 zx non turbo so 180???? maybe close to 200??? I don't know.  As future 4 cylinder and others were increasing in displacement and power the 71B was retired and the 71C first used on the '84 300zx VG30 (non turbo) and fazed in, in '86.5 on all other vehicles. It approximately is capable of about twice the power handling as the 71B. 300zx owners have replaced blown up T-5 turbo 5 speeds with the non turbo 71Cs and find they will stand up to them very well.

The  71Cs are all shorter (in varying amounts) than the 71B.

I thought the 71C is longer then the 71B? 

9 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I have owned a few 510s with over 200 hp and back then we only ran the Z or ZX 5 speeds. I never blew one up.

Yeah I've never killed a trans in any car besides wearing out bearings.  Just depends on the dude behind the wheel.  Lots of SR guys kill the stock trans drifting and playing around.  

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...