First post- 1972 521

ehathaway

Hi all, 

New to the thread, and wanted to give a quick intro-

Been looking on and off for a little Datsun pickup for the last few years or so, and finally got one last summer. Absolutely love it! While I'm able to handle the majority of the mechanical needs, there are a couple things that have caught my attention that I just can't seem to clear up. I've searched high and low! Any info on the following would really be awesome!

https://imgur.com/gallery/pqBz9Vi

1. What's the deal with the rear bumpers? Mine happens to have a super bulky bumper, while I see some that have little chrome bumpers, and some that don't have any at all. Personally I'm a fan of no bumper, with the license plate mounted right in front of the spare. Included a pic of my Datsun for some visual clarity. 

2. Also, totally confused with the abundance of repro tail lights available on ebay. They are obviously much shorter than the originals, is there some type of conversion kit? I've seen some people mount them on very cleanly, but have no idea how it's done. 

Thanks for everyone's time!

-Eli

• Like 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rear bumpers were dealer option. Left & right chrome bumperettes are the original Nissan parts, all else are dealer or owner installed. Nice condition bumperettes with brackets will cost anywhere from $50-300+ depending on condition and seller knowledge.

The large stock tail lights are a US domestic market only for late 68-72 trucks. Earlier 520 trucks and 521 trucks in foreign markets have the smaller lights you see on eBay. The US tail lights are thus much more rare.

Edited by thisismatt
  • Like 2

You have one of them step type rear bumpers, yours certainly looks nicer than a lot of that type, at least it is not bolted to the rear skirts of the box.

That bumper you have also could be why your tailgate looks so good.

SMervIF.jpg

I like the 2 small bumper look myself(bumperettes), I have them on all my trucks except the work truck and my 720.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, wayno said:

You have one of them step type rear bumpers, yours certainly looks nicer than a lot of that type, at least it is not bolted to the rear skirts of the box.

That bumper you have also could be why your tailgate looks so good.

SMervIF.jpg

I like the 2 small bumper look myself(bumperettes), I have them on all my trucks except the work truck and my 720.

Thanks, for the most part this truck is pretty clean cosmetically, with the exception of a few dings. It's super solid mechanically. The guy that had it before me really put a lot into it. Also put in a 5 speed tranny, so this thing hauls major ass. 

Question about the bumper, if I opt to remove it, is there a bracket available so I can mount the plate under tailgate? I noticed an existing bracket there, but the bolt holes don't line up with those on the plate. 

• Like 2

Welcome, and great lookin truck!

I am much the same way - my truck(s) came with bumpers / bumperetts and on these old Datsun trucks I really prefer the no-bumper look. They will save your tail lights from smacking into dumb shit, and as others have pointed out - save you from some possible body work from a dumbshit who can't stop in time, but the choice is yours. 

Keep us posted with lots of pics!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

Welcome, and great lookin truck!

I am much the same way - my truck(s) came with bumpers / bumperetts and on these old Datsun trucks I really prefer the no-bumper look. They will save your tail lights from smacking into dumb shit, and as others have pointed out - save you from some possible body work from a dumbshit who can't stop in time, but the choice is yours. 

Keep us posted with lots of pics!

Thanks! Couldn't agree more, I'm stuck with a long commute in traffic.. So that bumper might be a godsend. 

Here's some more pics 🙂

52c32a96c5ee5930f7ad2f3f047dbf88-full.jp4a99b96e244c2ae0eaa78a9569a5a39e-full.jp

fa3cf703ded162c3721559874e772f08-full.jpeadb20d6021dfa0629bd070f68c6dfc8-full.jp

• Like 2

It's appears that some can see those links, all I see is a little image box and letters/numbers followed by a "-full,jp", nothing happens when I click on it as it is not a link, if I copy it and search it and then click on it must include that line of code I get this below and for some reason it adds the "g" when I search it without the "g" I get the same result.

Your search - "fa3cf703ded162c3721559874e772f08-"full.jpg - did not match any documents.

Edited by wayno

In your first post that you hosted with imgur.com the link was good.

That one I could see and copy the photo, since then none of the links have been good for me although others can see something as there was a reference to Halloween and a flag.

Edited by wayno