Need help installing ei distributor

lerinmiller

I just purchased a 1970 521 from a friend (this is my 3rd datsun, i have owned 2 280zx's turbo with motorsports aero kits). I picked up the truck for about 600 with lots of other parts and was told that the ei dist is a direct swap. When i removed the points dist the rotor was facing toward the engine and when i installed the elec ig the rotor was pointing the complete opposite way. I changed the spark plug wires around to match up where the points would face, played with the advance and retard but couldnt get anything. I need someone to help me or tell me what i am not doing right. I have been all over the web trying to find instructions on how to install but no one says how. is it just that simple and i am thinking to far into it, or do i need a new coil, resistor etc or lack there of. :confused: Please help.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech2.htm

the plugs don't go "exactly" opposite... pretty close though...

There is this video one of our members did... I have the full version on DVD and it has some great dizzy stuff on it... this one may have that part too, worth a go.

http://www.guba.com/general/search?query=hainz&set=5&x=0&y=0

Find TDC compression on #1, set timing notch on 12 degrees mark.

Place distributor about half way between it's full advance and retard positions.

Check rotor location on distributor, is it under a plug wire on the cap?

If very close rearrange the wires 1 3 4 2 in a counter clockwise direction on the cap.

If not close to a wire, drop the oil pump and turn the oil pump/distributor spindle ahead or back a tooth or two, to get the rotor under a plug wire.

This is the remote igniter type. Needs a box for the electronics, mounted in the cab.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg[/img]"]EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg

This is the match box type. It bolts in and works, just two wires and sometimes a ground wire. All electronics are in the small black 'match'box on the distributor side.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/EIdizzymatchbox.jpg[/img]"]EIdizzymatchbox.jpg

Looks like this on the outside:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Eidizzy.jpg[/img]"]Eidizzy.jpg

if you have a matchbox dissy and want to use the stock ballast resistor and coil

hook B to the blk/wht wire that is going to the ballast resisitor(get a piggyback onnector from the parts store).

C to the - side of coil. remove all the other wires.

if you use the matchbox dizzy and want to get the full potential out of this you need to get a 79 200sx coil or a MSD Blast 2 coil as they are made to run on straight 12volts

pertronixstockcoilsetup_thumb.JPG

521_Ei-conversionDiagram2_thumb.jpg

Let me add more confusion...:rolleyes: if you have this dist...

IMG%5D

instead of using the remote igniter box & ballast you can run a HEI module...

HEI4.jpg

you can find them at any auto parts store for $15. I used one designed for a 77 Camaro. Like the guys said too youll need the matching pedestal for your dist. AND a coli menat for EI [taller & wider]. Plus..make sure the oil pump drive is at the 11.28 position AND watch the Hainz vid as zuum510 mentioned & call it good...

here is a pic of it. its a mallory case, model number 2558901, i searched it and it said it was for an L series 4cyl. it just has the red and black wires coming out of it. it has the pertronix ignitor with 44u-v4 on the top. there is no vacuum adavance on it, i dont know if that matters or not. let me know what you guys think or know. thanks for all the feed back everyone. This is a great place to learn your stuff. thanks again. eidizzy.jpg

Ahhh, so you have a mallory points dizzy with a pertronix setup in it. You will then retain your ballast resistor and coil... I believe these have an "infinite" adjuster that allows them to be set where ever you want... correct me if I'm wrong. If I am correct you will just have to play with it till you get it right and then set the timing with a light, there is no vacuum advance on those things, its mechanical only... its more of a race setup.

Let me add more confusion...:rolleyes: if you have this dist...

IMG%5D

instead of using the remote igniter box & ballast you can run a HEI module...

HEI4.jpg

you can find them at any auto parts store for $15. I used one designed for a 77 Camaro. Like the guys said too youll need the matching pedestal for your dist. AND a coli menat for EI [taller & wider]. Plus..make sure the oil pump drive is at the 11.28 position AND watch the Hainz vid as zuum510 mentioned & call it good...

I need more info on this. I spent all day trying to get my 78 datsun to fire and she has none at all. Nothing even comes from the coil. It has the remote system with a little box under the dash. How do you wire it to work with an HEI module? The box under the dash has been buzzing for years and i think it died on me.

Also does anyone have a dizzy like that they would sell. Mine seems to have alot of slop in it. Really kicking my own ass for getting rid of my parts trucks now.

I need more info on this. I spent all day trying to get my 78 datsun to fire and she has none at all. Nothing even comes from the coil. It has the remote system with a little box under the dash. How do you wire it to work with an HEI module? The box under the dash has been buzzing for years and i think it died on me.

Also does anyone have a dizzy like that they would sell. Mine seems to have alot of slop in it. Really kicking my own ass for getting rid of my parts trucks now.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184

it seems like this is a fairly straight forward install. now my question is can i use my existing cap or do i need one for a 79, the year i got the dizzy out of. shes due for a tune up anyway but i figure i should ask so i get the proper parts.

Are you using a matchbox coil with it? Hardly ever hear of an EI going bad.
no. i forgot to pull it. it ran fine for like 3 days with the points coil, then no spark at all. swapped my points back in and it fired up perfect. could i use an EI coil from say a rabbit? i ahve a few of them floating around. the EI ones, as far as i know, didn't have the resistor wire. its a Bosch unit. a red top.

I have a 2 "spare" matchboxes and the ei coil... Ready to go.

what would you want for a complete setup? coil and dizzy??

check the connections around the box, ive only seen 1 actually bad.

most worked again after cleaning the contacts.

remove the box and double check that its getting a solid connection too.

i will be picking a couple up this weeklend if you still need one.

check the connections around the box, ive only seen 1 actually bad.

most worked again after cleaning the contacts.

remove the box and double check that its getting a solid connection too.

i will be picking a couple up this weeklend if you still need one.

will do right now in fact.

edit: just cleaned em up. they were gross. now teh connections look all nice and clean. i will install it tomorrow while the kids at school and report my findings. thanks guys!

Edited by moparvwfreak