Getting more timing

agouge888

Not sure if my title says it correctly, but after the Weber Carb install...I feel and it was suggested that I need to turn my distributor clockwise to get a little more out of it.  Well...it was turned as far as it will go clockwise. Even if I remove the small bolt...it won’t rotate any further. Does this mean I need to pull the dizzy and clock it back some? If so...any tips on pulling it? Does the distributor on a 620 also run the oil pump? (Like a Ford dizzy?) thanks,

Andy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just turning the distributor randomly is not advised. Get a timing light and check and set it properly. Probably around 12 degrees? on the L18?  Better find out first. It may run at 16 degrees but when revved up under load you can hurt the engine. Changing the carburetor isn't automatically going to need more advance. Better to do it in stages with a timing light.

There is a spindle between the oil pump on the bottom right and the distributor on the upper left. The spindle is turned by a worm gear on the crankshaft and turns both not the other way round. To get the spindle out remove the distributor and it practically drops out with it. But before this I would...

Turn the engine to TDC compression stroke #1 cylinder. Use the timing scale. Now unbolt the distributor pedestal from the timing cover and lift it away. Look down inside you should see this...

caCNXMO.jpg

If not seeing this orientation perhaps it (the spindle) was removed and not put in correctly. Get the 11:28 and you'll probably be able to adjust. If you need to advance you know where you are NOW and can see that it's moved properly AND you know where to put it back to if needed.

The 8 mm bolt that holds the clamp to the distributor also has a slot, so there may also be a little more adjustment available there too.  

When you're at TDC, you should not only see what Mike shows above, but you can remove the 4 main oil pump bolts and drop the pump AND the drive spindle out the bottom.  On the oil pump AND the spindle are a couple of staked marks (punch marks) that should line up.  If they don, line them up and reinstall.  This should provide the timing adjustment you need.