620 rear end

Bama boy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would like to put A Dana rear end on my 79 620. It seems parts are a lot easier to find and I was thinking that A Dana rear end might be a little more stout than the H190 that is on it. Any advice would be appreciated.

If it ain't broke... You will never break an H-190 rear end with an L20B. No rear end will survive one tire burn outs though.

if you want something a little beefier try looking for a toyota 4x4 rear. Same bolt pattern and you have 2 options of widths. A truck with a solid front axle is going to be 3 inches shorter overall (1 1/2 per side) than a truck with an independent front suspension.

If you can find a newer Tacoma with the TRD off road package the rear diff would be an e-locker. Electronic actuating locking diff :D just make sure you get the pigtail.

Ohh... and 4.10 gears

Edited by Madness
  • 3 weeks later...

Keep it Nissan: Swap any VG powered D-21 Hardbody 4X4 axle complete. Has H-233 differential. (bigger than a Ford 9") Swap in a Pathfinder diff that has full LSD and either 4.375 or 4.625 gears. Want more? Look for a Pathfinder and get one with rear disc brakes and swap those axles into the D-21 housing as well. H-233 with 4.625 LSD and rear discs.... Mmmmmm.

Here's my Pathfinder rear with the coils and 4 link removed. I still have to weld on the leaf spring perch. If I could, I would have gotten the Hardbody one as it already has the spring mounts.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Pathfinder--D-21conversion045Large.jpg[/img]"]Pathfinder--D-21conversion045Large.jpg

Here's the internals and LSD.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Pathfinder--D-21conversion027Large.jpg[/img]"]Pathfinder--D-21conversion027Large.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/diffPathfinderLSDclutchpack10Large.jpg[/img]"]diffPathfinderLSDclutchpack10Large.jpg

Use pre '95 LSD diffs if possible. Avoid the '00-'02 X-Terra model which requires break-away torque of 138-180 ft-lbs to turn one wheel against the other. The '03-'04 is far and away the worst and only needs 29-43 ft-lbs. (why even have one???) The 1st-gen Pathfinder LSD clutch pack (pictured above) requires 260-289 ft-lbs. Which one would you rather have????

One thing more, the axle spline number changed after '95 so later axles won't fit earlier (good) LSD diffs,

Edited by datzenmike

I think the H190 is 52'' from mounting surface to mounting surface. Isn't the hardbody rear end quite a bit wider? I also have noticed that the 4x4 rear end bolts under the leaf springs rather than on top like on my 620. I am assuming that this is no big deal.

Kiss my black ass-end! :D Woot! That feels good. Yeah you can see me in the reflection. Hard to tell but I'm a WASP.

I think the H190 is 52'' from mounting surface to mounting surface. Isn't the hardbody rear end quite a bit wider? I also have noticed that the 4x4 rear end bolts under the leaf springs rather than on top like on my 620. I am assuming that this is no big deal.

Yes the pathfinder is about 59" but I think the 620 is about 55" I have an early 'Yoda solid axle and it's 1" wider per side and you can't tell. A Dana might be wider also and a spring mount can be welded under the axle tube of cut the old ones off and re-weld under. Also something to think about is a modified drive shaft as the Pathfinder pinion yoke is much larger than the H-190... but again the Dana would likely be different too.

Edited by datzenmike

Mike Im afraid the HB h233b is not the same as the pathy rear not only is the third member case larger but it has a different bolt pattern. Also, the e-brake setup is an absolute pain in the ass to make work. The pathy's is a much better design. The H-190 is unbreakable in most cases, theres a guy over at the old nissancustoms who had a supercharged 500hp chevy 350 laying a stripe through an h190 for over 2 years. He switched it out when he started drag racing so that he had a greater gear selection and I believe the old h-190 lives under another hb now. Just because it isnt main stream doesnt mean its weaker. peace.

Mike Im afraid the HB h233b is not the same as the pathy rear not only is the third member case larger but it has a different bolt pattern....

Niz, that's not what I was told, crap. Need to find out more. Wish we had a VG 4X4 D-21 near me. Thanks, need to sort this out.

• 4 weeks later...

When looking for a set of rear calipers on an isuzu for a rear brake upgrade I notice the rearend was a dana 44 LSD 4. something r&p. It was around 58" flange to flange. Lots of parts are available for this rearend including different pinion flanges. It is very heavy and probably way more than needed but it seems like a cheap and easy LSD/rearbrake upgrade.