squeeling power steering pump

blackbomber

Hey guys ...I am back!!   Still got my original   1984   4x4.   So that's   34 years this year...   Got 2 things to address.. first here is the power steering pump...been making noise when its  cold,   really cold.     for at least   5 years  until it warms up...or the fluid warms up...  .  but lately the wheel gets jerky  at first.   So ..guess better  start looking into this...Any ideas on where to get a good rebuilt one??  napa has one for  130$$   with a warranty.    But I don't know what all comes with it...there must be a seal of some sort because I have to use my resevuor   .  and get it off my old pump  some how....   and the pulley to I guess.   thanks Guys for your help...   PPs what will happen when it goes out  altogether.....like will truck be dead in the  water???

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things that are cheaper and need to be eliminated as the source first...

1/ You don't mention topping the fluid up. Try changing the fluid. Make sure it's the Nissan recommended DEXRON auto transmission fluid. There may even be commercially available PS pump additives to quiet them. Try 2/ first though

2/ Check the belt tension. With firm thumb pressure you should only be able to move the belt about 1/2" between the pulleys. If adjusting, loosen the nut in the center of the adjustment pulley FIRST. Make adjustment and don't forget to re-tighten that nut.

2/a... It could be glazed from use and age. If you are extremely careful and I MEAN careful, hold a bar of hard soap (Sunlight is good for this) against the sides that rub the pulley while running. If the noise goes away it's the belt, just replace it. Again there may be spray on belt dressings out there.

• Like 1

You didn't define really cold, but oils are thicker and lose viscosity when they get cold. After you drive it for a while does it go back to normal? If so that means the oil has warmed up and the pump is operating normally.  Mike, re: fuel pump relay- had a torrential downpour the day I removed the relay and there was a small leak in the windshield directly above the relay. When I took it out smelled of burned wiring. So, a new relay and also windshield gasket. Might as well put in a new windshield too, old one cracked. Any hints as to glass suppliers? All windshield replacement shops in Nanaimo operate through two suppliers, neither of whom have a 1984windshield.

• Like 1

I've no idea. Don't suppose there's a wrecker with a 720? Haven't seen one in a yard around here for years. You'd have to go on line and have it shipped. Doesn't have to be for an '84 other than thickness or tint they are all the same.

• Like 1

Thanks guys uh...yea belt is tight. I will get some dressing on the belt this week .. it has warmed up so it hasn't been acting up.  I have also burped the air out and tried the additives.  also tried the stop leak stuff... forgot to mention that one.  have to add fuid regularly   ...not much.  seems worse in summer..  Its actually not a squeal noise but more of a RRRR aaaaaa rrrrrrrr aaaaaa rrrrrrrr ... grinding type sound.     I have a stethoscope .  and if I put the mike on the pump while its running .   I can isolate that noise ..magnifies it easily.    but I will get back to you you when I am sure its not the belt,  then we can go from there.   might have to wait for more cold weather....   thanks....    Jason

• Like 1

OK, so you say you have to add power steering fluid regularly, is the fluid coming out the cap of the reservoir when you shut the engine off?

The reservoir has two screens inside it, one is to strain the fluid when you pour fluid in it, the other is a diffuser, it keeps the returning fluid from coming back into the reservoir like a fire hose going full blast, but if that diffuser screen gets a hole in it the fluid shoots around the reservoir like crazy and it can squirt out the cap, I found when ever I shut the engine down I would find a puddle on the ground under where the reservoir is.

I do not know how to fix this nor do I know of anyone that has fixed/repaired this issue on the part they have, I replaced mine with a new pump/reservoir and all was good again, I have only heard of this happening to the pumps with the reservoir connected to them, I have never seen this issue with a remote reservoir, mine happened to a 4wd Z24 Nissan 720 truck pump/reservoir, but the one out of the wrecking yard off a 2wd has worked fine since, all my other power steering setups I made or have use a remote reservoir.

Just take the cap off, and the screen out of the reservoir and start the engine, if the fluid is coming out the top or moving around like white water rapids you need a new power steering pump assembly, the fluid surface should mostly be calm inside the reservoir.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
On 1/7/2019 at 6:32 AM, bottomwatcher said:

rebuilding consists of a bearing and seal, the vanes don't wear out. I rebuilt mine for about $20 sourcing the bearing and seal on Amazon.

No- but the shaft can wear out . I just rebuilt one where the seal had ate into the shaft . Shaft could be making noise turning in pump

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Squealing sounds like the belt and/or pulley. Belts can become glazed or highly polished and slip. Contaminants like oil and road crap can do this also. Just replace the belt. The tensioner pulley also has a bearing that can go bad and squeal. 

Water splash (like severe off roading puddle jumping) can cause the belt to slip and you can loose the power assist for maybe a couple of seconds max.  If more than that the belt is bad or likely not tensioned properly.  

The alternator charge light can also come on for half a block but this is more likely water on the brushes inside it that the belt slipping..

• Like 1

Ok  guys...   have pretty much ruled out the belt ..   Funny,  the belt didn't make noise till I put the belt dressing on.  but its definitely not the noise the pump is making...  I don't believe there is fluid burping around the cap.  I still need to look at  the fliud while it is running with the screens out. forgot about that one .  I found the seal and gaskets for that pulley bearing but not the bearing yet.  So,  keep looking,  maybe I should get a remanufactured pump.   not sure yet.   It does quiet down after it warms up. noise is definitely  in the pump body.

I have only had the screen fail, but on more than one, I have personally seen at least 4 with failed screens.

I recently lost the pressure hose also, but that was a hose routing/rubbing issue on one of my custom power steering setups on my diesel engines, that was my routing failure, not defective or worn out parts.